mtbr member

Reynolds lefty front hub drag - help

I just got a Scalpel Carbon 1 with Reynolds carbon wheels. I noticed a tremendous amount of drag from the front wheel hub. If I spin the wheel it slows down and stops way faster than it should. This even happens with the caliper removed, so it is the hub with tremendous drag (NOT brake drag).
    I hoped that it would loosen up with a ride, but after a 2 hour ride today, it is no better. I removed the wheel and noticed a rubber black dust cover on the inner bearing (the larger bearing closest to the shock itself). When I picked at the dust cover with my nail, that allowed the bearing to spin more freely when testing the bearing with my finger. When I reinstalled the wheel, it was spinning perfectly until the last bit of tightening - at that point the dust cover created drag again. I can't tell if the drag is from the dust cover rotating and rubbing on the axle or if it comes about from the dust cover being pushed into the bearing. Either way, that cover is definitely at fault.
    Has anyone else noticed this with these wheels? Will it improve significantly just by breaking it in longer, or should I apply some silicone lube to the axle and maybe even between the dust cover and bearing?.... or has anyone just removed that cover altogether since that bearing looks like it will be very easy to replace (just chalk it up to an annual replacement, like a chain).
    Any input is appreciated!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Reynolds vs Sun Ringle Lefty hubs - YouTube

I noticed the same on my F29 compared to my previous XLR2 bike but it seems that this behavior doesn't impact at all the performances so I just left it this way
    Meanwhile after couple of months it seems what now it spins more

mtbr member

Re: Reynolds lefty front hub drag - help

Quote Originally Posted by muntos View Post
    Reynolds vs Sun Ringle Lefty hubs - YouTube

I noticed the same on my F29 compared to my previous XLR2 bike but it seems that this behavior doesn't impact at all the performances so I just left it this way
    Meanwhile after couple of months it seems what now it spins more
    Thanks for the video. Your Reynolds is spinning about 3 times longer than mine, so good to see that it improves. That said, I would still say that it's WAY too much drag for a wheel on a race-oriented bike. Now that Sun Ringle is the way a wheel SHOULD spin!
    Seriously, I bought the bike to race on as a faster alternative to my RIP RDO. People fret over wasted grams on bikes and there are articles dedicated to determining which tire tread rolls the fastest...and yet this front wheel (and to a lesser degree the rear) has a constant drag on it.
    I will need to experiment with taking the dust cover off and document how much better it spins. If it isn't any better than your video, I might look into aftermarket bearings and see if that makes a difference .
    Anyone know the sizes of the two bearings in the Reynolds lefty hub?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The video is taken when I bought the bike, I said it was improved compared to this video. If yours spins much worse than in my video then you could have a problem there.. But what about the rear wheel, the same?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muntos View Post
    The video is taken when I bought the bike, I said it was improved compared to this video. If yours spins much worse than in my video then you could have a problem there.. But what about the rear wheel, the same?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanks for the clarification - I thought that was the improved spin. I'm glad to hear it is better now.
    I will hopefully have time tonight - I plan on videoing the way my wheel spins now and then I will remove the rubber dust cover and see how it spins after that. I have been looking at a lot of the lefty hubs and many do not have the extra dust cover, so I will probably give it a go without it.

The rear is about the same as in you video.

mtbr member

Here is my video that includes the current freewheeling and drag of the front wheel with the dust gasket in place and then with it removed. It definitely spins better without it. I think the bearings still need to be broken in and I expect it to get better. I opened the bearing seal and it had steal bearings in there with nice thick new grease. So I'm sure it will get faster as the bearing grease thins down a little. If not, I will get some aftermarket bearings to put in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_uE...e_gdata_player

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Men, that's like riding with your brakes engaged... Even without the dust gasket it is still pretty lousy.
    I'm sure glad I posted a question in this forum before I actually got a pair from eBay and got some great advice not to touch this wheel-set.
    Looks like quite a few people were having issues with their hubs (Front and Rear) while others are quite happy ... go figure.

If you bought it retail, have your LBS deal with it.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Something else you to check is if the bearing is being pulled out when removing the wheel. This will compress the seal between the bearing and rotor. When you put the wheel back on sometimes the bearing presses back in place but not always. You should be able to tell by looking at it or by where the rotor is in relation to the caliper. On my 2013 the bearing always moves. I made a special tool out of wood to tap it back into place before remounting. I've also gone to not using a seal on my P321 hubs. I seem to be replacing the lefty bearing every month or so with or without running a seal.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you may be pulling the bearing out a little when removing the wheel. Mine is so free spinning with no drag at all. I in fact have only had one issue since owning my wheel set. I just broke a rear spoke and am waiting on a replacement. Beyond that I had the initial loose spokes in the front wheel when new after a couple of rides. No issues what so ever with the rear hub and the free hub is super easy to remove and do cleaning as well as relubing if need be. Even with the broken and missing spoke I was still able to make it back to my car with the wheel not showing any weakness at all. Don't give up on them, they are not as bad as most make them out to be.

mtbr member

Thanks for the ideas regarding the bearing coming out when removing the wheel. I checked that and it was not the case - the bearing is in good position.

I rode yesterday without the dust cover on. Things seem to be improving. The wheel spins better now than in the second half of the video. From reading about bearings, it seems that there truly is a break-in period required, so I expect it to get faster still. Regardless, since replacing the bearing at some point is likely, I will order aftermarket bearings for the front and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Thanks