Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Reynolds Carbon wheelset experience

I would like to get some feedback on the bundled Reynolds wheel-set.
    What's the weigh on those ?
    Will it be a good idea to replace the ZTR Arch 29er on my Flash 29 C2 ?
    TIA
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    I have as set of those very wheels I purchased off of Ebay as brand new take off from the very same model you own. I have them on my '12 Flash 29 C3. I dropped 2 pounds with them over the stock wheels that came on my bike originally. My Flash weighs in at 21lbs with pedals and I am quite happy with that.
    As far as durability I have had no issues thus far and I tend to ride in some rocky areas. I had some loose spokes on the front wheel but since truing them I have had no issues and they are staying pretty straight for me. I love how the made the bike feel after I installed them. I definitely thought the bike felt faster. I am not a hammer type rider in that I don't ride abusive to destroy stuff. If you are and have had issues with wheels in the past then they may not be for you, but the feel pretty damn strong to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have around 200 miles on mine with zero issues.

Big Damn Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt116 View Post
    I have around 200 miles on mine with zero issues.
    Same here.... very light and very stiff.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Glad to hear that these wheels are working great.
    Did anyone actually upgraded from Stan's ZTR Arch and can tell the difference ?
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1

mtbr member
    If you buy the wheelset get extra spokes now or you might be waiting when you break one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyElite2010 View Post
    Glad to hear that these wheels are working great.
    Did anyone actually upgraded from Stan's ZTR Arch and can tell the difference ?
    Yes I did and man what a difference. I didn't quite realize how bad the archs flexed and caused under steer in the corners until I rode with the Reynolds. For the first few miles I found myself over steering into the corners and would have to re-correct mid corner. I dont know what I'll do if the reynolds break and I have to put the archs back on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Love'm - Hate'm Reynolds 29er Carbon Wheelset

Maybe this is also worth a read before pulling the trigger, quite mixed feedback....I have looked at these wheels for a while before deciding that there are seemingly too many issues with them. Apart from the lose spokes there are also quite a number of broken hubs.

cheers
    grani

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grani13 View Post
    Love'm - Hate'm Reynolds 29er Carbon Wheelset

Maybe this is also worth a read before pulling the trigger, quite mixed feedback....I have looked at these wheels for a while before deciding that there are seemingly too many issues with them. Apart from the lose spokes there are also quite a number of broken hubs.

cheers
    grani
    Thanks Grani-
    Looks like too many people has serious issues with these wheels - although I am not the kind of guy that breaks frames or spokes, I'd rather spend the money on wheels that are more reliable across the board.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyElite2010 View Post
    I'd rather spend the money on wheels that are more reliable across the board.
    That's the thought I had as well...On another note: based on the research I have done it seems that the rims are really good. The trouble is rather in the built with the DT Evo spokes and the Reynolds hubs.
    Maybe i9 is the way to go as somebody in the above linked thread suggested. I am not sure though how much difference to e.g. Enves we are talking then...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got a set on my brand new Scalpel 29 carbon 1. Great bike and so much grief from the Reynolds, make me want to return the whole thing back to Cannondale.
    First the hub wend off spinning freely in both directions. My LBS replaced with new hub internals. Then the spokes started breaking out, one every ride. It became a routine of getting back to bike shop to replace a spoke after every ride.
    After 3 spokes replaced and complete rebuilt of back wheel, I simply left the set at the shop and replaced with aluminum wheelset. Waiting my bike shop to sort things out with Cannondale and Reynolds warranty.
    Stay away from them if you can

mtbr member
    May 2008
    gashgash1 - Did you call reynolds about that stuff? I had a couple broken spokes and they were really helpful, sent them to me right away, I've had them trued up and they are good to go since then.

They offered that if I had further issues I could send them to them and they'd rebuild them for me. I have not had any problems.

I don't get how you'd be breaking spokes every ride. Are they tensioning them properly? They are straight pull with alloy nipples so I believe you have to be really careful to not twist the spokes and put weird stress on them when you're tightening them. Could that be the culprit?

On the rear hub, you need to take it apart and lube it, especially if you transport your bike outside your car in rain. I've done it about every 250mi or so or before every big race. The pawls will stick down and not engage after a bit. I don't believe they should need replacing, just a good cleaning/lube.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    This all seems funny to me. WTB laser TCS 29er set for $300 shipped and I abuse them singlespeeding, and jumping at Tamarancho Flow trail. Never trued (there is a slight wobble after 200 rides) and I have never lubed. Flawless, and these are not even high dollar wheels. I bet money I am faster than 50% of people with carbon wheels as I ride 18 to 20 days per month. The other 50% I can ride past while they walk their bike to a shop.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    This all seems funny to me. WTB laser TCS 29er set for $300 shipped and I abuse them singlespeeding, and jumping at Tamarancho Flow trail. Never trued (there is a slight wobble after 200 rides) and I have never lubed. Flawless, and these are not even high dollar wheels. I bet money I am faster than 50% of people with carbon wheels as I ride 18 to 20 days per month. The other 50% I can ride past while they walk their bike to a shop.

^ definition of blowhard.

Have you guys seen the other reviews of this wheelset?

Reynolds MTN AM Carbon Wheels Review - Pinkbike
    Reynolds AM carbon mountain bike wheels review - BikeRadar
    The Carbon Wheel Experiment : Reynolds MT 29 Wheels- Final Review

Twenty Nine Inches: Interview With Paul Lew of Reynolds Cycling

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Actually just the facts. I like the idea of carbon hoops. ENVE was having problems with corrosion of nipples, Haven is notorious for bad rear hubs, and I was checking out this thread to see how Reynolds was holding up. Not ready for prime time obviously. It seems most issues are still with mountain bike wheels, not road carbon wheels. Anyway, I have the interest in Carbon hoops, and I will stick with Aluminum for another year. These threads are important for us, and I appreciate all of the honest stories about carbon rims, and any potential problems that may come up after spending $3000 on wheels.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Oh, and post #13, I apologize for being snippy, but really, comparing $3000 wheels to $300 is realistic in this case. Me being fast, now that is tongue in cheek. I wish I could afford Carbon rims, knowing I MAY have an issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wonder if the problems people experience is due to the way the builder builds the wheels. Some people have great experience on Reynolds while others don't.

I recently bought a Park tensiometer and basically rebuilt my cheapo wheel set. The spokes were constantly loosing up to the point I could turn them with my fingers. I haven't had any issues since retensioning them. I don't have many miles on them since so maybe I should say anything, but I just wonder if some sets come out of the factory built better.

This would apply to any brand. It's been my experience if the wheel isn't tensioned properly, the spokes may continue to loosen up and you will continue to have problems. I assume this is with any wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    When I picked up my new bike in the autumn sales, my LBS told me to ride them hard (I am about 100 Kg) and then bring them in for a rebuild once the snow arrives. Nothing wrong with the wheels other than poor build quality on a higher than normal set of wheels according to LBS. I have had no issues so far.

T.

mtbr member
    I know with the set that I have initially they used way too thin of a gauge of spoke along with alloy nipples. I tried to get my rear wheel fixed after loosing a spoke and taking it to the LBS for repair. They ordered the spokes from Reynolds, but were still not able to get the wheel straight due to some tight tensions on the rest of the wheel. I ended up sending it back to Reynolds and they relaced the whole wheel. While I had it there I asked them to take a look at the freehub since it had slip marks on it from the cogs. When I got my wheel back the only thing that was original on it was the rim. They used a heavier gauge spoke and replaced the hub as well. I figured a new free hub, but they replaced the whole hub. All that being said they have excellent CS and I would not hesitate to tell anyone about buying any of their wheels. My total cost for the rear wheel repair since I had no sort of warranty was $98. $50 of that was in shipping cost alone since it was insured both ways. If your wheels are under warranty you should pay nothing more then for shipping. I would call them with any issues for they will work with you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I noticed C'dale moved to Enve wheels for 2014, sounds like a good move

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just read the love'm -hate'm posting referenced in this thread and I see they too mostly agree with my earlier post:

Good parts doesn't necessarily equal Good build.

I've read Easton tensions their wheels according to the pitch of the spokes when plucked. I've also read that Eastons stay strong and true for a long time. Maybe that's a result of their Quality Assurance program when building.

I may be buying a set of Reynolds Carbon which is what brought me to this thread. If I do, I'm going to check the tension on all the spokes as they come from the factory and I will post my findings. I'm not a wheel building master, but I figure if the wheels are mostly true and evenly tensioned it's probably a good build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ironsinker View Post
    I just read the love'm -hate'm posting referenced in this thread and I see they too mostly agree with my earlier post:

Good parts doesn't necessarily equal Good build.

I've read Easton tensions their wheels according to the pitch of the spokes when plucked. I've also read that Eastons stay strong and true for a long time. Maybe that's a result of their Quality Assurance program when building.

I may be buying a set of Reynolds Carbon which is what brought me to this thread. If I do, I'm going to check the tension on all the spokes as they come from the factory and I will post my findings. I'm not a wheel building master, but I figure if the wheels are mostly true and evenly tensioned it's probably a good build.
    I was the OP on the love'm-hate'm thread. Initially the wheels were less than satisfactory, and the aggravation of getting them sorted out was beyond acceptable, after nearly 6 weeks of going back and forth with the LBS and Reynolds everything finally got sorted out. The rear wheel was sent back to Reynolds and it came back re-laced and tensioned correctly. From that point forward the wheels have been bullet proof. I raced 7 of the MASS endurance races, a few local XC races and trained all year long on the wheels without a single issue. They are still true and roll perfectly smooth. I'm selling the Scalpel 2 that they came on but I'm keeping the wheel set to put onto my new Scalpel as training wheels. I'd estimate that the wheels have nearly 1400+ miles of hard racing, training and everyday riding on them and they are as good as new. I think the initial issues were more of a build/ assembly problem then design issues.

mtbr member

Re: Reynolds Carbon wheelset experience

I got a Scalpel Carbon 1 this fall that came with the Reynolds wheels. After only a few rides, I broke a spoke on the rear wheel. Still rode out no problem. Got a replacement from Reynolds and it trued up fine, but once winter hit, my wheel went to Reynolds. They rebuilt it with a new hub, spokes, and nipples. No charge. They said there was a design flaw in the hub so the spokes were being stressed and apt to break. Supposedly, the new build will hold up better.
    Sh!t happens - at least they are taking care of the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    I got a Scalpel Carbon 1 this fall that came with the Reynolds wheels. After only a few rides, I broke a spoke on the rear wheel. Still rode out no problem. Got a replacement from Reynolds and it trued up fine, but once winter hit, my wheel went to Reynolds. They rebuilt it with a new hub, spokes, and nipples. No charge. They said there was a design flaw in the hub so the spokes were being stressed and apt to break. Supposedly, the new build will hold up better.
    Sh!t happens - at least they are taking care of the problem.

That may be why they replaced the hub on my rear wheel when I sent it back. Did you notice there was also a thicker gauge spoke in them from what you sent it out with? I know mine has a heavier gauge spoke now then before.

mtbr member

Re: Reynolds Carbon wheelset experience

Quote Originally Posted by Flash29r View Post
    That may be why they replaced the hub on my rear wheel when I sent it back. Did you notice there was also a thicker gauge spoke in them from what you sent it out with? I know mine has a heavier gauge spoke now then before.
    Yes. Heavier/ thicker spokes too. Just measured: 20-18-20 gauge butted spokes. Pretty sure they were 16 gauge (or maybe 15 - is that possible? ) instead of 18g before the rebuild. Kind of bummed about the added weight because they are my race wheels/race bike. Then again, a broken spoke would cost me a heck of a lot more time than the heavier spokes. I didn't weigh them before I sent them out, so I don't know how much more the thicker spokes weigh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast