mtbr member

Retro 97 or 98 M500 rigid fork

I was cleaning out the garage and came across something I had totally forgotten about. Waaaay back in 1997 I jumped into the suspension craze by slapping a Manitou III onto my month old and beloved Cannondale M500, my first mountain bike. It was that metal flake purple that kinda changes color a little depending on the angle at which you look at it. I stowed that OEM rigid Al fork away in the box the Manitou came in and essentially forgot about it. I just came across it today. Is this a part that some retro CDale peeps might be interested in? After all these years sealed up in a fork fox, it just looks so pimp. I loved that bike back in the day.

Just thought I'd check in with true CDale lovers to see if these forks might be just what someone is looking for. If so, I'll go through all the propper channels and what not. Thanks!

Erik
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Erik, I just registered to reply to your post. I just rescued an M500 from the trash heap at the bike co-op i work at in Santa Cruz. It was spray painted black, clearly had been stolen, but I recognized the cantilever dropouts and oversized downtube. I stripped the paint with white lightning, and the glorious purple you describe shone through. The stem was stuck, so I inverted the frame in a stand to knock it out, and a syringe fell out of the seat tube! Unfortunately I had to chop the fork, and ive replaced it with crappy cromo we had lying around.
    So I would love to get my hands on your fork. How much steer tube is left? My frame is large so i need at least 6"
    -Eli
    Retro 97 or 98 M500 rigid fork-photo-2013-04-29-02.56.59-am.jpg