mtbr member
    Oct 2011

replacement Rize frame, what is a reasonable price

a rock kicked up into the downtube on my 09 Rize, put a substantial dent in it(.6"x.2" deep), i'm trying to find a replacement frame. I actually found a shop that has a leftover 09 Rize, still brand new, they are willing to part it out and sell me the frame, but the owner is taking her time in coming up with a price. I had told her i was interested in the front triangle only, does anyone have any thoughts as to what would be a fair price for a front triangle, keeping in mind it's from '09.

I'm with stupid
    Brand new frame with warranty? I wouldn't expect anything less then around a grand from a LBS. Private seller around 700ish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Brand new frame with warranty? I wouldn't expect anything less then around a grand from a LBS. Private seller around 700ish.
    that's about what i was figuring, thanks for the input though

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'd keep riding it... My riding partner has had a dent like that in an '09 Rize for the past 2 years and a whole lot of miles. Just be sure to check the area periodically for a crack.

Usual disclaimer. Your mileage may vary. This posting was not approved by a lawyer. etc etc. but seriously, ride it.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
    I'd keep riding it... My riding partner has had a dent like that in an '09 Rize for the past 2 years and a whole lot of miles. Just be sure to check the area periodically for a crack.

Usual disclaimer. Your mileage may vary. This posting was not approved by a lawyer. etc etc. but seriously, ride it.
    My opinion too, I wouldn't spend that much money as long as it holds up. I have an alloy frame that has a significant dent, it's been over 4 years now, still fine. Of course no two dents are the same... and where they are on the frame may also affect the integrity of the frame but just keep an eye on it and ride on. Spending 700-1000$ for such an old frame, I'd keep the money for when/if it eventually fails, or when you just feel like getting a new bike. But that's just me, I get a new bike per year, I like to have the latest and greatest.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the additional input, I had considered just riding it and seeing what happens, maybe that is the better choice, thanks guys. I'm going to hit the trails, keep your fingers crossed.