mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Replace what PBR 140 piston o-rings?

So I have my 2010 PBR 140 broken down because I am trying to resolve a leak where fluid is slowly oozing out between the main damper shaft and the rebound/lockout shaft that goes down into this.
    Fluid pools around the rebound knob (Pic#1). Disassembly went fine, I just dont know what to look for at this point.
    The existing o-rings look ok, no obvious nicks or deformations. I could disassemble the damper further- is this necessary? If so can anyone offer instructions?

Pic #1: where fluid is coming out of
    Pic#2: My mess
    Pic#3: It looks like there is 3 o-rings. The top looks like it might be a bumper for the upper oil cap. The middle seals and spaces the damper shaft inside the cartridge? bottom- no idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong,
    Thanks a bunch-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replace what PBR 140 piston o-rings?-pbr_1.jpg  

Replace what PBR 140 piston o-rings?-pbr_2.jpg  

Replace what PBR 140 piston o-rings?-pbr_3.jpg  

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Pic three is the operative one.

You need a set of shaft clamps, clamp the left hand shaft (referring to it as it sits in the pic) and unscrew the gold piston from it. There's a thin O ring at the base of those threads you'll expose,that is you're likely culprit.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Free time around the house is scarce, finally dug into this.

I put a piece of innertube between the shaft clamps and shaft to make sure I did not scratch it, not sure if this was necessary or not.
    Surprised at how much force it took to remove the gold piston assembly.

The o-ring looks in ok condition, but does not fit very snug in its indent below the threads. I popped it out with a plastic pick. Headed to the hardware store to try to find a replacement.

Also to note- there is some whiteish sludge that was on the red inner shaft (see picture). I dont know if this means anything or not.

Lastly, are there any o-rings inside this red rebound/lockout shaft that could be attributing to this leak?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replace what PBR 140 piston o-rings?-pbr_4.jpg  

Replace what PBR 140 piston o-rings?-pbr_5.jpg  

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    That's the seal most commonly blamed for leaks of the type you're experiencing, so I'd dtart there.

The sludge is just stuff (forget the chemical name for it) from the oil they use. Some sort of anti foaming agent or something. I see it all the time in my containers. In the damper where it gets circulated it mixes right in and disappears, must have just settled there and not gotten mixed in, no worries....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com