My other ride

Replace Lefty Al PBR with XLR, or...

Looking at saving up this winter to buy an XLR carbon Lefty to replace my stock aluminum PBR. Or, as an alternative, go with something else. The bike is my 2015 F-Si that has a couple years on it. I'm not interested in replacing the bike (unless someone wants to trade my large frame for a medium), I'll ride it until the frame is dead then go from there. I'm a "local pro" (aka phony pro) and very advanced technical descender, so I do care about fork performance. Handling is more important than weight. The fork must be capable of taking me down enduro trails at full effort, no noodles allowed.

Opinions?

Now, I am not beholden to the big C or any others. This is a great bike, but they are all great bikes in reality. I just got a good deal on it and it has treated me well. The PBR has been flawless for me, but I could drop a significant amount of weight and add the remote lockout at the same time (I'm going remote regardless). Relacing the front wheel isn't a big deal. I really like the Lefty, but have also been happy with the MRP on my trail bike (soon to be endurance bike) and don't have any really complaints about the Yari on my Enduro. Obvious options are SID, Fox 32, and the XLR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Would you want more travel? I ride my F-Si on many trails it really has no business being on, but a full tilt enduro trail seems like it might be easier with more than 100mm.

My other ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
    Would you want more travel? I ride my F-Si on many trails it really has no business being on, but a full tilt enduro trail seems like it might be easier with more than 100mm.
    Nah, I already have a Specialized Enduro. But most of my races share the descents with a planned enduro race the day before or after. So I end up running enduro trails at full speed during races. I treat the F-Si as my race only bike and try to avoid any trail riding, the Enduro is my everyday bike.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    My two cents?

Carbon gains you next to nothing beyond "I got carbon" bragging rights.

Less than 1/4 lb weight loss.

Add the XLR to it, and you gain most of that weight back over the lighter, simpler, (I feel, better) PBR control. Same damper for both, just the control changes.

Also, save some money, and shop for a booted Lefty. Cheaper, simpler to maintain, more durable, etc, etc etc.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have been riding both, carbon and aluminum. I actually find aluminum one much stiffer.

Please also note, that XLR remote is very delicate and it really does not like mud baths.

Personally, I would rather upgrade something else. A pair of light Carbon wheels is a much better investment.

I also feel that next year Cannondale will update whole F-Si line, it was initially introduced in 2014, so it is quite old allready! So maybe ride what you have and later get a next generation model?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandrik View Post

Personally, I would rather upgrade something else. A pair of light Carbon wheels is a much better investment.

I also feel that next year Cannondale will update whole F-Si line, it was initially introduced in 2014, so it is quite old allready! So maybe ride what you have and later get a next generation model?
    Good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi, I own a scalpel si with lefty 2.0 XLR and full sprint remote.
    I own a FSI frame too and I want to swap Lefty on this frame.
    Is possible to install a PBR lock out kit, such KH149 or KH188 on my lefty?
    It's a screw out screw in job? Or I've to modify damper?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by arius View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not a screw out/in job. You will need to replace internals too... I was investigating the case with my Lefty PBR on F29 and gave up on this (too much $$ for a relatively easy to reach lock-out)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by samarskyrider View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not a screw out/in job. You will need to replace internals too... I was investigating the case with my Lefty PBR on F29 and gave up on this (too much $$ for a relatively easy to reach lock-out)
    It seems (reading on lefty 2.0 manual page 20) that the new kh150 fsi damper it is the same for both pbr and xlr: @MendonCycleSmith?

My other ride
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    My two cents?

Carbon gains you next to nothing beyond "I got carbon" bragging rights.

Less than 1/4 lb weight loss.

Add the XLR to it, and you gain most of that weight back over the lighter, simpler, (I feel, better) PBR control. Same damper for both, just the control changes.

Also, save some money, and shop for a booted Lefty. Cheaper, simpler to maintain, more durable, etc, etc etc.....
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought it was a more dramatic weight difference than that. I won't bother then.

But I either need a remote, or not bother ever locking it. The PBR button does me no good outside of endurance racing with long climbs, and even then sometimes the climbs require me to unlock for a short duration and lock back out. Real annoying as you can't maintain power AND change from lock to unlock. My friend has a Scalpel with the aluminum Lefty and remote. He never locks out and has no use for it so we plan to trade this winter. Both of ours are due for a service.

Wouldn't going backwards be a downgrade? Wouldn't going to an SID or Fox 32 be a better option than going backwards?

Please also note, that XLR remote is very delicate and it really does not like mud baths.
    I'm in southern California; rain is RARE. I have raced in the wet once in three years, and damp once or twice. Never in actual mud

It's also a race only bike, I don't ride it outside of racing except if my main bike is broken (currently an Enduro).

I agree. I'm on a set of sub 1400g wheels, that was my #1 goal was dropping rotating mass last year.

My LBS dropped Cannondale, so my next bike will likely be an Epic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    If both bikes use Lefty 2.0 than yes! You can swap between XLR and PBR! Also it is very easy to do!

Here are some nice videos for you:
    Lefty XLR remote installation https://vimeopro.com/cannondaletechc...ideo/131059184
    PBR removal:install https://vimeopro.com/cannondaletechc...ideo/131030551
    PBR dial install https://vimeopro.com/cannondaletechc...ideo/131030549

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If both bikes use Lefty 2.0 than yes! You can swap between XLR and PBR! Also it is very easy to do!

Here are some nice videos for you:
    Lefty XLR remote installation https://vimeopro.com/cannondaletechc...ideo/131059184
    PBR removal:install https://vimeopro.com/cannondaletechc...ideo/131030551
    PBR dial install https://vimeopro.com/cannondaletechc...ideo/131030549
    You are my hero!!! Thanks a lot!!!
    So to hold in place PBR remote they use those little alu cilinder and c clip seen at 0.21 second of PBR removal:install video.

Name:  Immagine_1.png
Views: 81
Size:  285.0 KB

Those little parts are installed in XLR damper? Or you have to buy..
    So in the video they show KH149 PBR remote: do you know the difference vs KH188 PBR remote?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Those little parts are installed in XLR damper? Or you have to buy..
    So in the video they show KH149 PBR remote: do you know the difference vs KH188 PBR remote?
    Here is a video for Lefty XLR remote installation https://vimeopro.com/cannondaletechc...ideo/131059184 hope it helps. But if I am not mistaken, theese parts are allready in all Lefty 2.0 dampfers.

KH149 and KH188 are basically the same, KH188 is just a newer generation of PBR with slightly different knob design.