mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Replace front fork on 1990s Jekyll

I have an older Cannondale Jekll (1990s not sure what year) and would like to replace the fork. Take a look at the attached. Would an F Series RL 100 or 120 fit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replace front fork on 1990s Jekyll-img_0806.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Actually--its newer then I thought--its a 2001 Jekyll 1000 SL I believe.

Just a flesh wound
    Put a 110 mm Lefty on it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    Put a 110 mm Lefty on it!
    Those forks tend to be more expensive from what I've seen. This is an older bike I use for my backup bike when the other is in the shop or for when people don't have a bike (visitors) so I dont' want to spend a lot of money. Typically you can pick up the Fox or Rock Shox for cheaper on E-Bay or here.

I dd what you see there.
    but removing the headshok and replacing it with anything other than another headshok or better (a lefty) is paramount to "upgrading" from a Ferrari to a Toyota Yaris.

Any other analogies? Anyone?

FTR: I have an 02 Jekyll 800 that I replaced just about everything (such as cranks, derailleurs, shifters, brakes, etc). A little money goes a LONG way with Cannondales as my bike is barrels of fun. Save for replacing a couple spokes, it's almost as tough as nails and thanks to the new technology with lightweight components that I upgraded with, it's pretty light too boot so it can get going pretty fast. In conclusion, you're right. You should watch what you "upgrade" with, because you might just get a new favorite bike out of it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Well what model "Lefty" would I use. There is a Lefty DLR that came off a 2003 Jekyll 800 for sale on E-bay. Not sure what model to use for that bike. It has 70 mm of travel so I suspect I can't put anything more than 100.

I dd what you see there.
    once again mine is only a 2002 but it has the Lefty DLR with (I'm pretty sure) 105mm travel.

I'm pretty sure (make sure if you get one that you get the steerer tube too so you don't have to go looking for one of them after the fact) any lefty from around those years should work. (I remember seeing a Lefty ELO on e-bay and few months back for a pretty cheap price - in comparison that is, I think in the mid-high $300s - but I don't think the ELOs have rebound, just the electronic lockout whereas the DLRs have (manual) lockout AND rebound adjustments).

I know there's an important difference in the REAR shock on the Jekyll's (Gen 2s or 2003s and later are longer than Gen 1s- 2002 and prior) but I don't think the lefties/headshocks make a big difference year to year.