I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Repair Limits Of Mavic Hoops

I recently warped a pair of Mavic XC717 Disc rims, as a result of a nasty crash. I understand that tacoed rims are not worth repairing. The front is bowed about a third of it's circumference, but the rear only looks like it is out of true, in a few spots. The front rolls pretty funky, but does not rub the inside of my Headshok, with 1.95 tires. What do you suggest?

mtbr member
    If possible get the rear trued...and the front, sounds pretty trashed. I think a new rim/wheel is in order.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Got a spokey? Try truing the front one yourself. You've nothing to lose. You'll find it either relaxing and rewarding or tiresome and frustrating. Either way you'll find out something about yourself. Think of it as a Zen moment!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker921
    Got a spokey? Try truing the front one yourself.
    Maybe not a bad idea. i wrecked a rim once that the LBS declared too bad to fix. Well, after a little DIY action at home, i rode that wheel for another year or two. It was not perfectly true, but it never folded on me.

Last weekend, i totally wrecked a 717. You could see signs of stress around the valve hole, as well as other locations on the rim.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

got the dhr...
    You knw wh's unny, I neer broke my xc 717 on my prophet. Haha I only broke two dt swiss xr 4.2d's !!! yay happy day (now I have maic deetraks). Ok, back to the topic- Bring the bike to a bike shop, and see what they have to say.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Brought 'em to LBS....they all chuckled when I asked if they were repairable. Thanx, guys....

mtbr member
    I had a bikeshop try to fix a bent sun rim on my old hardtail. He told me that it would be advisable to get another rim and he would do his best to straighten. I ended up buying a spoke tool and realizing that he did a crappy rush-job. I took the time and straightened the wheel and tried to even the tension. I'm still riding that rim on my hardtail, and that was 3 years ago.