mtbr member
    Aug 2006

removing si bb adapter??

looking through a number of threads related to si cranks and bb 30 etc. i just wanted to clear it up in my own mind if it is a viable option to remove the factory fitted bottom bracket adapter (for standard 68mm) on a taurine. as i understand it, you cannot remove the adaptor from the synapse crabon frame. if this topic has been covered then i'm sorry!

many thanks,

parkincake

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

mtbr member
    According to Cannondale it is not OK to remove the adapters from any frame. That said, it does happen often. I am currently riding a system six that had the adapter removed and have had no problems with it.

LA CHÈVRE
    I thought it was not recommended but doable on alloy BB shells (like the System Six) but a big no no on carbon BB shell (like on the Taurine)...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mad aussie
    Cannondale does make a tool for the adaptor removal. They say that repeated removal and reinsertion may damage an alloy frame (ie. dont do it too often) but it should not be attempted on a carbon frame.
    I have removed and reinserted an adaptor on a Scalpel frame and a CAAD8 road frame without any incident. I have heard of people removing them on Synapse, Taurine and Carbon Rush frames, but wouldnt be game to try it myself (unless it wasnt my frame and there were no consequences to damaging said frame.......)

Kevin

tms
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    technical question: do i need any special tool to install adapter? What kind of adhesive to be used? Any instructions? Thanks for help

mad aussie
    Follow the instructions here:

http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...uctions_en.pdf

Kevin

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i wonder if they really could remove the adapter in Scalpel carbon 1 and was able to put the bb30.
    There is a manual on the forum but i can not open it!
    I would like to have more info of this if it possible because I am very interested in install bb30 in my scalpel carbon 1
    please some one can help me with this!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The guys from my local Cdale dealer removed the adapter from my carbon Rize (Two) w/o any problems. They have done it in several bikes but never more than once as the carbon bottom bracket could be damaged. So, I suggest you not to do it yourself unless you're a real pro mech! Talk to your Cdale dealer and ask them to do it for you, but remember to discuss first if the warranty would be voided. Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by schuster_md; 11-06-2008 at 05:47 PM.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    yesterday a friend removed adapter from a nearly new scalpel 100 alu frame

no issues

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a Caffeine F-4, and I take it that if I were do this switch, I too would have to remove the BB adapter? Also, what is the advantage to going with a BB30? Costs involved? Please advise, I'm just getting back into cycling after a 15 year hiatus! Thanks in advance!

Woody

mad aussie
    The F4 has a standard bottom bracket shell, not a BB30 with an adaptor pressed in so you cant run a BB30. Its only the Taurine, Carbon Rush, Rize, Scalpel Carbon and Moto frames that come BB 30, although all but one Euro Moto models have an adaptor pressed in.
    Regarding removing it from a carbon frame, it comes down to how the aluminium bottom bracket shell is placed in the frame. If the removal tool can be placed straight on the aluminium of the shell, then you can press an adaptor out of a carbon frame, but if you have to place it on carbon that surrounds the shell then you will damage the frame. I have successfully removed the adaptor on a Cannondale Slice Carbon frame without any issues despite Cannondales warnings to the contrary, but if you dont know what you are doing you could easily cause damage.

Kevin

unemployed team mechanic
    May 2008
    for reference, the scalpel, and rize are considered aluminum frames (as far as BB shell is concerned)

Rush and taurine the insert is not supposed to be removed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Pabst
    for reference, the scalpel, and rize are considered aluminum frames (as far as BB shell is concerned)

Rush and taurine the insert is not supposed to be removed.

True, true