mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Removing scuffs from a Prophet frame

Any ideas on how to remove general use scuffs from an aluminum frame. Does anyone have luck with waxes, polishes, etc. to remove scuffs on their frames. These are fine scratches, scuffs that I do NOT want to use a touchup paint on. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They just show you use the bike! I got the same bike and I just leave em there. Dony worry, Ride Happy!!!!

My spoon is too big!
    I don't mind the small scuffs on my Prophet. I did wax my bike this winter though, to make rinsing the mud off easier. Anything safe to use on car paint, should be fine for bike finishes.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Tool
    Meguire's Scratch-X.

Pretty much every company who makes automotive waxes/polishes will have something equivalent, Meguire's just happens to be the one I have experience with. II have polished aluminum with it, and it does a great job. If you need more abrasion, you might need 1500 or 2000 grit wet sand paper (don't dry sand - and make sure not to go through the clear coat assuming your frame is coated). Given that you said these are light scratches, the Scratch-X or equivalent should do the trick.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Can't stop the Prophet
    What about raw aluminum? I have an old prophet that is raw aluminum and would like to get it shiny, any ideas??

mtbr member

Bare Aluminum

I use Mother's Aluminum Polish. My son just bought a bare aluminum Cannondale hardtail that looked like it hadn't been polished since new. It was an unimpressive dull silver in color. The kid was a little worried at first, but after an hour with a few fresh cotton rags and Mother's polish that frame gleamed like a mirror.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 4dmg; 03-12-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added photo