mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Removing bb adpters from Scalpel Frame

Hi all,

i'm getting scalpel 4 2009 frame, and it was supposed to have BB30. Today a was told that this frame will have bb adapters installed in it and it is impossible to remove these adapters.

Please tell me that it is not like this!

Thanks for your replies.

LA CHÈVRE
    The adaptors are removable with the right tools.

You need the specific tool to do it and a press. Full tool part numbers and instructions on page 10-11 of the Hollowgram manual.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

FIRENZE rulez !!
    only few BBQ frames in 2008 arrived with a english thread BB

so you can do the removal as Dan wrote

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ok. thank you for replies!

now, did someone perform this action before? anybody have had any experience?

Also, this will cost me some extra $$$ to get the removal tool and a press...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just get your LBS to do it. I had him remove the adapter from my Alu Scalpel, en replace it with a used Hollowgram SI. Very good investment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've done two Al frames- you need the FSA tool and a good headset press to do it. You might have to search around a little, as most shops are hesitant to do the procedure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I removed one with a threaded rod, nuts and some appropriate size washers (small enough to fit inside the bb shell and big enough to cover the adapter. I cut a piece of PVC (about the length of the bb shell) that also has as ID slightly bigger than the adapter OD (can't remember exactly what size). Just pressed the adapter right out. I would highly recommend your LBS as a first choice though. The Scalpel 3 did come with a bb30 bottom bracket so assuming the Scalpel 4 is the same frame as the 3, it should just be a matter of removing the adapter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    there is no any experienced cannondale LBS here in my country who can do this job, so I can rely only on myself and it becomes a challenge )))
    maybe I should leave this adapter on place and put a standard crankset? or risk with $$$ and try to remove it?

I have a BB30 on my rize and I love it and I was planning to put 2x9 on scalpel.