mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Removing the adapter from a Carbon frame BB30.

I have a Cannondale Taurine4 with a heavy SRAM GXP2 Crankset. The carbon frame comes with a threaded adapter in the BB30. Can I remove the adapter from the carbon frame so I can fit my FSA/Cannondale carbon crankset with a 30mm spindle? Ive bought all the tools to get the job done but Ive read that the adapter forms part of the frame.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    you can do it but carefully.

better a pro mechanic.

a wrong work can avoid warranty

mtbr member
    Best to take it to a Cannondale dealer for something like this, they should have the proper tools.

mtbr member
    He did say he has the tools, from what I understand you need to soften the loctite that has been used to hold in the adapter, you can do this with heat as well I believe there is a loctite solvent. It is purely a press fit, that's all. I'm sure someone here knows what to do, but if not I'll did up some instructions I'm sure I have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3000
    He did say he has the tools, from what I understand you need to soften the loctite that has been used to hold in the adapter, you can do this with heat as well I believe there is a loctite solvent. It is purely a press fit, that's all. I'm sure someone here knows what to do, but if not I'll did up some instructions I'm sure I have.
    hummm, apply heat to a carbon frame? i doubt the integrity of the frame will hold up, but yeah why not give it a go!!!

the adaptor will press out without heat. do a search there are more threads on this subject.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    hummm, apply heat to a carbon frame? i doubt the integrity of the frame will hold up, but yeah why not give it a go!!!

the adaptor will press out without heat. do a search there are more threads on this subject.
    I'm not sure about the heat on the carbon frame, I know that is what loctite say to help break the bond but I would also have my concerns, I think it had to get quite hot. I'm sure there was a solvent you could use, but again not sure on the carbon frame, I have seen them just pressed out and then the BB shell cleaned with the solvent though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I do have a heat gun but Im not so sure Id want to heat the carbon frame I'll try press it out and see how it goes...
    ...whats the worst that could happen hey?...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swishy
    I do have a heat gun but Im not so sure Id want to heat the carbon frame I'll try press it out and see how it goes...
    ...whats the worst that could happen hey?...
    Void the frame warranty, but hey...its your call.

A cannondale LBS should have the correct variations of the tools, I believe its a Cannondale specific tool and a bearing press which makes it so pushing the adapter out dosnt touch the carbon around the BB shell.

LA CHÈVRE
    Don't heat it! It can damage the carbon's resin or the bond between the actual BB shell and the frame.

You need a specific tool (part # KF366) and a bearing press. You set the tool's two parts so they dont even touch the carbon, just the built-in metal shell so when you press, it just puts force between that metal shell and the BB30-threaded adaptor, no risk of ripping the shell off the frame...

See this on the second page, the part on the left should be sitting on the metal shell, not the carbon...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    no don't heat it up not at al ever! my above post was sarcasm. if you heat carbon it may change the composition of the resin, which may result in a structural failure.

if you press it out, keep all the forces on the aluminium parts. just don't get too frightened when it started making cracking noises, it's just the loctite.

a shop guy
    that adapter is made to be in the frame permanently. The removal tools are for removing the adapter from aluminum frames. Cannondale bonds it in the carbon frames during production so that they never move. We were going to do this to a carbon rush last year but could not. You really risk damaging the frame by removing it. Piece of cake on the aluminum bikes though.
    yes, I sell bikes. I like to talk about them, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Jeez, Im not sure what to do now...I really want to try. Someone must have tried before me and either succeeded or completely shagged their frame???

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, some things changed in 2010, the warning notice decal near the BB is now over the clearcoat (so is removable ) and my SuperSix came with the instruction to remove the adaptor... It didn't come with one but it's in the SuperSix specific manual.

Some people did it even when it was supposedly un-removable, you just have to do it correctly and carefully. Or ask a shop that has done it before...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ok, its all sorted! I phoned around until I found a bike shop that knew what they were talking about (I spoke to Jeremy and Pedro at Evans Gatwick) and they pressed it out no problem. So now Ive fitted my FSA Cannondale BB30 crankset and its running sweet as a nut!

So the bottom line is it is possible to remove the BB30 adapter from a Carbon frame.

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    Hey Swishy- how did you know they knew what they were talking about? Just so I know if I go calling about as well. Thanks and 'grats!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cos we could have an actual conversation about why cannondale put the adapter in, instead of me trying to explain to them what and where the bottom bracket is. Also, theyve done it before so they had no reservations. I wouldnt have trusted my LBS or my local Evans store either to do the work.

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    Cheers man!