mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Remove/Replace front wheel bearings on Lefty

Noticed a squeak the other day and tracked it down to the sealed front wheel bearings. I can make it squeak with my finger with slight side pressure. Not sure this is normal but in my experience any bearing that is squeaking is not good.

It didnt look obvious how they come out so wanted to ask because I havent seen any instructions anywhere. Not sure if its a special tool to get them out. I figure once I pull then out I can get the numbers off of them to order new ones.

The LBS said they would do it for me but I kind of like being independent and working on my bike myself.
    Thanks.
    Robert

mtbr member
    I'm not answering your question, but a squeak often comes from the o-ring that sits around the hub bolt. A drop of oil or grease usually fixes this.

Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just pulled both wheel bearings from my 29R Scalpel. Looks like they are 6902RU 15mmx 28mm x 7mm and 6805RU 25mm x 37mm x 7mm. Easy enough to extract. Unscrew the outer cap with a two pin wrench. remove disc rotor. Use a pin punch and tap through the wheel id from opposite side around the bearing circumference "wiggle" it out. MAy need to support the wheel hub on wood or other. Lubricate the new bearings on the OD before tapping into place - using a soft face hammer or wooden block until seated squarely

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I'm not answering your question, but a squeak often comes from the o-ring that sits around the hub bolt. A drop of oil or grease usually fixes this.

Tim
    + 1 to what Tim said..... MANY a time that darn o-ring has squeaked on me... usually after a wash or getting it wet... just a small drop of lube and it's gone.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Indeed a squeek is likely an o ring or the rubber seals on the bearings (unusual) other. A worn bearing "rumbles" or feels rough when spinning the wheel while holding the lefty fork leg. Unscrewing the cap with a pin spanner and lubricant on the socket head cap screw and o rings a good idea.