mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Removal of Lefty - How is it done?

Helping a friend with a Prophet service and I am trying to work out how to remove the fork.

It seems to me that the fork tube cap, which is a larger OD than the upper tube, needs to be taken off in order to slide the tube down through the clamps.

Can anyone give us some pointers.

Thanks in advance, Rex

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    unscrew the tightening bolts and stem. then slide the lower of the two crowns downwards untill you pop the part of the steerer tube under the part where the top crown goes around the steerer tube. twist it slightly to get the top crown away from the frame, pull the steerer tue out of the headtube and then it should be loose.

you can also remove the tightening bolts on the fork only and by removing the top cap slide it out downwards. err - or i think so. i usually go for the first method of totally removing it from the frame. hope this was some help

it also depends on what lefty you have - meaning year and model. a 05 carbon lefty is removed differently than say 05 spv evolve fork.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=212844[/url
    This is something of what you need, IF it is a 140mm Lefty MAx.
    Steps 1-3, and also loosen the same bolt on the lower clamp...
    CDT

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks again guys. Really appreciate the advice.

Cheers, Rex

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Man someone needs to show Cannondale a motorcycle fork. They may learn something. My mate has the Lefty Max TPC.

A motorcycle fork can be removed by undoing the upper and lower clamp bolts and sliding it out. The Lefty needs it's cap removed first. Who did that?

Anyway thanks guys, gotta go get another special tool to remove the cap. Motorcycles commonly use a hex head so you can use a normal socket. Can only pray I suppose.

Rex (the tool man)