mtbr member
    May 2004

relacing a crossmax enduro for lefty

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to relace my front Crossmax enduro rim to a lefty hub.

1- The rim is a 24 holes and the hub a 32... What do you think of using 24 of the 32 holes?

2- The crossmax spokes are straight pull, so I know that I will have to replace them by standard "J" bent spokes. The nipple sockets which allows to thread the spokes into the FORE holes of the cmax rim seems different (alu instead of plastic) than the ones I got with my XM819s... But I guess that the FORE holes are identical and that I can thread the old plastic sockets if I need to... Am I right?

3- Some bikes comes with 24 holes XM819s, but they are not listed on mavic website... do you know if it is possible to order them to buils a custom 24 spoke wheel?

Thank you

LA CHÈVRE
    Forget it, the rim is not compatible with standard spokes. The Fore drilling is different than the ones to use nipple cups like on the XM819. A lot of trouble for not much gain if you ask me. Without the alloy spokes, the Crossmax wheels are just a basic regular wheel. The rims are based on regular mavic rims.

24 holes XM819 rims are OEM only so you can't get them aftermarket, unless you plan to buy several thousand rims. If you really want them, the simplest, easiest and cheapest way is the ebay way. There are often 24 holes XM819 base wheelsets for sale with Lefty hubs. Rear hubs are often the crappy Cannondale Fire or Wind but you get good rims, a lefty front hub.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :