mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Reduce Prophet 1000 weight to 26 - 27 lbs

Can anyone let me know the most effective way to reduce the weight of my Prophet 1000 to around 26 - 27 lbs?

I am trying to get to about the level of my original Super V 1000 SL (26 - 27 lbs). I weigh the Prophet 1000 at around 29 lbs (same scales as the V @26 - 27) so 2 - 3 lbs weight loss would be the target? I realise that this may result in less "toughness" but that's fair enough. Also - I realise that trading for the Rush may be the "latest thinking" solution but thats too late now and money is an issue also Rush wasnt offered when I bought the Prophet and the Prophet is a well balanced solid machine with plenty of options and if I could simply adjust the weight a little then I have it all......

Cheers! TonyG.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    Can anyone let me know the most effective way to reduce the weight of my Prophet 1000 to around 26 - 27 lbs?
    Easy. Drop the stock tires - these are heavy monsters, you can find lighter tires easily, my favourites for this part of the year are Hutchinson Spiders and the new Schwalbe Nobby Nic.
    Next you should get rid of the rear hub - it's POS and you don't know when it fails, get yourself some nice Hope or DT hub. Some other things to consider: Crank - XT crank is both stiffer and lighter, handlebars - FSA XC190 are light and cheap, seatpost - Thomson is the best, and depending on your prefference you can choose some new, lighter saddle (personaly, I love WTB Laser V)

This way you can drop about 3-4 lbs. pretty easy and it will not ruin you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    Easy. Drop the stock tires - these are heavy monsters, you can find lighter tires easily, my favourites for this part of the year are Hutchinson Spiders and the new Schwalbe Nobby Nic.
    Next you should get rid of the rear hub - it's POS and you don't know when it fails, get yourself some nice Hope or DT hub. Some other things to consider: Crank - XT crank is both stiffer and lighter, handlebars - FSA XC190 are light and cheap, seatpost - Thomson is the best, and depending on your prefference you can choose some new, lighter saddle (personaly, I love WTB Laser V)

This way you can drop about 3-4 lbs. pretty easy and it will not ruin you.
    If you have a stock 1000 it weighs about 31 pounds. It's unlikely you could get it to 26 and expensive to get near 27. I running crossmax SLs, 2.1 Spiders, and eggbeater pedals and the bike still weighs 28 pounds. The stock fork carries some extra weight over the carbon. You could get lighter tires and rims but what's the point, you have 5.5 inches of suspension. I can live with 28 pounds, it's a reasonable weight for a bike in that travel class.

LA CHÈVRE
    Mine is around that weight range but I started with a Prophet 2000 (which I think was around 28-29 stock). I added Crossmax SL, Hutchinson Bulldog Tubeless Light 2.1 tires and Eggbeater pedals...

I agree with MarkHL, even if you do the changes suggested by Pecka, you'll drop weight but you wont be in the 26-27 pounds range. The 2000 has XT stuff all over, light carbon seatpost, the XC190 bars, and the carbon Lefty and still is heavier than 27 pounds. The most noticable and easiest way is the tires. If you do change the rear hub (stock ones are heavy and not too good), you might as well lace it using butted spokes instead of the heavy straight, big gauge spokes.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    My stock P600 wieghed out at Almost 31 lbs at the bike shop....P1000 has to wiegh a little less....?
    Tony

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    My stock P600 wieghed out at Almost 31 lbs at the bike shop....P1000 has to wiegh a little less....?
    Tony
    There is not that much weight difference between the 600 and the 1000, the main difference is in more refined components (both Lefty weigh about the same, XM819 rims might actually be heavier but they are worth it IMO, Juicy brakes are among the heaviest hydraulic brakes that are XC-able...).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2 - 3 lbs loss would be the key

I dont disagree with the actual weight - it may well be that the true weight is closer to 31 lbs. Scales vary, weighing techniques vary etc. If its closer to 31 then no prob - I would like to lose 2 - 3 lbs taking it to around 28 - 29 lbs. That may be the true weight of my V1000SL anyway? Again on the same scales there is about a 2 -3 lb difference between the two bikes.

I will try the tire swap first then replace the seat (dont like it anyway - cheap let down on a $2400 bike) Then figure out what to target next. Maybe build a second set of wheels specifically light weight ones, that way I can have the bullet proof option or the lightweight option (one wheelset for geometry set to "FR" position and the other set for "XC" position!)

TonyG.

Trail rider and racer
    OK here is where some weight could be shed:

Tubeless Tyres - Going to non UST with some latex would do the job.
    Swap out the saddle
    Swat out the seatpost to something carbon
    Different bars - Again carbon
    XO twist or trigger shifters.
    XT or XTR front mech
    Different wheelset perhaps (this would be costly)
    Foam grips (So comfortable and durable)

Hope this helps!
    Trev!

INTP
    I'm going to change the tires to Nevegal 2.1s. At 600 grams each I'll save 1.5 lbs. over the stock tires. I'm not sure what the seat and seat post weigh, but they're going. I might change the cranks. Anyone know what they come in at? I might change the handlebars. I have some MonkeyLite 31.8s. Finally, I'm using Egg Beater Candy SLs. At the LBS the bike weighed in at a shade under 30 lbs. bone stock with flat palstic test ride pedals.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you have the Cannondale Fire Disk rear hub then change it. Mines weighs 471 grams without the brake rotor, rotor bolts, skewer, and cassette. The skewer weighs 67 grams.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hi,

I'm new here but have some problems as you have
    I would like to loose some weight from prophet also.
    I have already change my rear wheel to much more lighter, but the new front wheel would cost too much.
    I'm changing the cranks also, maby xt -> cheap and good enough.
    And tires would go to nobbys, now I'm running with NBX and they are very very good tires for prophet.
    But what are the next easy grams, could you recommend another, good and lighter parts if I don't want to go to carbon ?

Where I can find how much cannondale parts weight ? Weight weenies does not give answer for cannondale parts.
    Cannondale fire disk rear hub was heavy, but what about fire seatpost, Headshok stem and headset ?

Thanks !

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have not taken the headset off the bike to weigh it since I probably can't find a suitable replacement aftermarket anyway. I'll be replacing/upgrading some parts on my bike and moving them over to the Jamis frame I just bought. Anything that my little scale can weigh will get weighed. It has a 500 gram limit, though.

I've weighed a few things on my Prophet that might interest you:
    Fire Disk rear hub: 471 grams
    Omega Lefty front hub: 133 grams
    Kalloy seatpost: 318 grams
    Spokes with brass nipples: 490 grams for all 64
    Cannondale clipless pedals: 369 grams
    Mavic XM117 disk rims: around 450 grams each (one was 443 grams while the other was 457)
    SRAM 950 11-34 cassette: 449 grams

What I find interesting is that the Cannondale front hub is lighter than the WOOdman front Lefty hub (rated at 160 grams). Too bad Cannondale does not offer their hub in a 28 hole configuration.

INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    I have not taken the headset off the bike to weigh it since I probably can't find a suitable replacement aftermarket anyway. I'll be replacing/upgrading some parts on my bike and moving them over to the Jamis frame I just bought. Anything that my little scale can weigh will get weighed. It has a 500 gram limit, though.

I've weighed a few things on my Prophet that might interest you:
    Fire Disk rear hub: 471 grams
    Omega Lefty front hub: 133 grams
    Kalloy seatpost: 318 grams
    Spokes with brass nipples: 490 grams for all 64
    Cannondale clipless pedals: 369 grams
    Mavic XM117 disk rims: around 450 grams each (one was 443 grams while the other was 457)
    SRAM 950 11-34 cassette: 449 grams

What I find interesting is that the Cannondale front hub is lighter than the WOOdman front Lefty hub (rated at 160 grams). Too bad Cannondale does not offer their hub in a 28 hole configuration.
    Interesting. I was surprised about the front hub as well. That's pretty light by any standards. I guess that big hole in the middle makes this possible. You must have disassembled your rear wheel to get the spoke weight.

The Kalloy post isn't that bad. I have a 410mm Thomson that came in at 295 grams. Your Kalloy might be shorter though. Surprisingly, a 330mm Thomson is only 235 grams.

I'm also surprised that the cassette is 449 grams. I think a typical XT 11-34 cassette comes in around 300 grams. That's 1/4 pound right there. which Prophet do you have?

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by VERVE 29er
    Interesting. I was surprised about the front hub as well. That's pretty light by any standards. I guess that big hole in the middle makes this possible. You must have disassembled your rear wheel to get the spoke weight.

The Kalloy post isn't that bad. I have a 410mm Thomson that came in at 295 grams. Your Kalloy might be shorter though. Surprisingly, a 330mm Thomson is only 235 grams.

I'm also surprised that the cassette is 449 grams. I think a typical XT 11-34 cassette comes in around 300 grams. That's 1/4 pound right there. which Prophet do you have?
    Yeah an XT Cassette is around 280grams, but a SRAM 970 11-34t is around the same weight also. Big weight savings to be had.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by VERVE 29er
    which Prophet do you have?
    PCC must have the Prophet 600, because according to Cannondale's specs, the 800 and 1000 came with SRAM PG-970 cassettes and FSA (800)/Fire (1000) seatposts (and different rims, etc).
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    Yeah an XT Cassette is around 280grams, but a SRAM 970 11-34t is around the same weight also. Big weight savings to be had.
    Disagree here. I compared the weight of the XT and SRAM cassettes by hand, not sure if the difference is 1/4 of a pound, but the XT is definitely alot lighter.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Disagree here. I compared the weight of the XT and SRAM cassettes by hand, not sure if the difference is 1/4 of a pound, but the XT is definitely alot lighter.
    Even weight weenies put the 11-34 970 at no more than 321g (to XT's 295g) With the 990 matching the XT at 295g.

All are well below the posted 449grams - like I said - a lot of weight saving to be had.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    PCC must have the Prophet 600, because according to Cannondale's specs, the 800 and 1000 came with SRAM PG-970 cassettes and FSA (800)/Fire (1000) seatposts (and different rims, etc).
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! DING!!! We have a winnah!

Yes, Prophet 600 from '05. The SRAM 950 is their cheapest and heaviest cassette. I weighed that thing a few times and every time it came out to about 449 grams. I'm running an Ultegra 12-27 on it right now and it's a whole lot lighter than the SRAM 950.

Yes, I rebuilt the wheels with 317 Disk wheels and Wheelsmith DB spokes/aluminum nipples. Just these mods shaved a pound off the bike (4.6 lbs from the spokes/nipples, 3.3 oz from the rims, 7.8 oz from the cassette, 1.7 oz from the seat - the Fizik Plateau I took off weighed 300 grams while the Fizik Pave weighs 252 grams). Now I need lighter tires and a lighter rear hub to shave another pound or so.

shiny side up

Finally got mine on the scales

Better late than never, I finally got mine on the scales, I've got an 05 Prophet 2000 with a handfull of mods...

Crossmax SL Wheels
    Hutchinson Bulldog Tubless Light Tires
    XTR Cassette
    Easton Carbon Bars
    Eggbeater Tripple Ti Pedals
    XT Rear der. (XTR was stock, but it was replaced with XT at time of purchase - don't ask)

I did add a bell (small) and a Cateye Mity8 that add a little weight.

It's a size Medium.

My lbs picked up a fancy scale that mounts in his shop stand and is digital. I cleaned all the mud off it and she weighed in at 27.20 pounds.

The 26 pound range is doable I think...

Just thought I'd share!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeboardR2wheels
    Better late than never, I finally got mine on the scales, I've got an 05 Prophet 2000 with a handfull of mods...

Crossmax SL Wheels
    Hutchinson Bulldog Tubless Light Tires
    XTR Cassette
    Easton Carbon Bars
    Eggbeater Tripple Ti Pedals
    XT Rear der. (XTR was stock, but it was replaced with XT at time of purchase - don't ask)

I did add a bell (small) and a Cateye Mity8 that add a little weight.

It's a size Medium.

My lbs picked up a fancy scale that mounts in his shop stand and is digital. I cleaned all the mud off it and she weighed in at 27.20 pounds.

The 26 pound range is doable I think...

Just thought I'd share!
    Here's my 1000 Prophet with SLs and Hutchinson 2.3 Spiders. The rest of the bike is stock except for eggbeater pedals (28.54 pounds). I could shed a 1/2 pound by using FirePro XC 2.1 tires and get about the same performance. The 2.3's weigh about 820 grams. The stock highrollers mounted on last years bike weighed 920 grams.

28.5 pounds for a 5.5 inch travel bike is nothing to complain about...

Contrast this to a 600 Jekyll, that I built light... (26.91) that weighs identical to the Blur (26.91).

Fourth picture is the Prophet sub'ing 28 pounds with the lighter wheels (Mavic 517, 240 Hugi rear hub, and FirePro standard tires and tubes) 27.84

Last picture is the difference in weight between the two wheel sets, 517's on the left and Crossmax SLs on the right with the 2.3 USTs (11.68 ounces or 330 grams). Your 819 rims with 720 gram tires will weigh about 9.4 lbs (includes rotors, cassette, and quick-release)

Side note...
    I found it interesting to weigh my UST tires. I got a pair of FireProXc UST tires last week and there was a 30 gram difference in weight between the two tires. 730 and 700. However both well under the advertised 780. Why so low? They only measure 2.0 wide and not the advertised 2.1. The USTs pictured on the Blur measure 2.1. Has to make you wonder what's going on, especially with them currently retailing less than the competitors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MarkHL; 01-30-2006 at 11:49 AM.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkHL
    Here's my 1000 Prophet with SLs and Hutchinson 2.3 Spiders. The rest of the bike is stock. 28.54 pounds. I could shed a 1/2 pound by using FirePro XC 2.1 tires and get about the same performance. The 2.3's weigh about 820 grams, the stock highrollers mounted on last years bike weighed 920 grams.

28.5 pounds for a 5.5 inch travel bike is nothing to complain about...
    Nice scale. Who did you order it through?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    Nice scale. Who did you order it through?
    http://www.universalcycles.com/ (Portand, Oregon)

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=4615

Mountain Bike magazine has a write up on the scale in the latest issue (March 2006). They gave it 5 stars. Retails for $59.99

shiny side up

That's the same scale I used...

That's the exact scale our bike shop got. It's pretty slick, easy to use and seems accurate/repeatable.

Not to mention it said my prophet only weighed 27.2 pounds!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeboardR2wheels
    That's the exact scale our bike shop got. It's pretty slick, easy to use and seems accurate/repeatable.

Not to mention it said my prophet only weighed 27.2 pounds!
    Medium Prophet 2000, Crossmax SL, Eggbeaters, Hutchinson Bulldogs UST Light... We have almost the same bike. Mine must be closer to 27.5 with Eggbeaters SL, stock handlebar and XT cassette.

shiny side up

Sounds like it doesn't it....

Man, your bike sounds sweet!

I've kinda kept track of yours over time and I've noticed that are's are similar.

I'm in the middle of a spring rate issue, I still have the stock medium spring on even though I weigh 200 pounds. I'm tempted to do the firm Ti spring and try and get it under 27, but I know that the extra firm would be a better size for me - only problem is they don't make those in Ti - so it adds weight instead of removing weight... tough decision!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Prophet 1000 weight 28.65 upgraded

My 1000 weight's 28.65 exactly lots of upgrades. XO shifter and XO rear derailleur Xt ft derailleur Fsa k force seatpost and handlebars salsa seatpost clamp silver xtr rear skewer,I switched frame to galvanized gloss, put lefty comp silver hub and silver chris king hub nice!! maxxis ignitor 2.3 and high roller 2.1 on rear looking to put crossmark 2.1 ft & back maybe loose a little more weight. Still need K force crankset for completion. I will load pics if I can figure out how.undefined

Trail Rider

Super V vs Prophet frame(with out shock)?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg

I am trying to get to about the level of my original Super V 1000 SL (26 - 27 lbs). I weigh the Prophet 1000 at around 29 lbs (same scales as the V @26 - 27) so 2 - 3 lbs weight loss would be the target? I realise that this may result in less "toughness" but that's fair enough. Also - I realise that trading for the Rush may be the "latest thinking" solution but thats too late now and money is an issue also Rush wasnt offered when I bought the Prophet and the Prophet is a well balanced solid machine with plenty of options and if I could simply adjust the weight a little then I have it all......

Cheers! TonyG.
    I have an old 97 Super V. If I remember, from reading somewhere, the frame alone was over 6 lbs. or at least 6 lbs(without a shock). My Tracer(6 lb. with shock) seemed to be lighter with the same XT & V brake components when I transferred over the parts. I read somewhere on this forum, the Prophet frame alone was 5.5 lb (aprox). If that is the case, the difference would be in the fork and the tires, if the Prophet frame weighs less than the Super V. I loved the reliability of the Super V(except for the Headshok). The rear end was super stiff and the bearings lasted well over 2 1/2 years before they were replaced because they felt a little gritty. They were fine except for that. I'm looking to upgrade to more travel and the Prophet frame with the same basic XT components and a Pike would be a good weight for a 5.5 in. travel bike.
    Don

Members who have read this thread: 0