mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Recommended Upgrades for a 2007 Bad Boy Ultra?

Just bought a 2007 Bad Boy Ultra to get back into riding after a layoff for a couple years. Riding style will be about 80% road 20% light trails. Bought the bike for the good frame, good looks, and the versatility to have a separate MTB wheel set later on. I know the components are not the best but since I have not been riding for some time, I wanted to get people's recommendations for must have upgrades:

Here is the current setup:

Frame Furio Disc
    Fork HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DLR, 80 mm
    Rims Sun DS-2 Bad Boy w/eyelet, 32 hole
    Hubs Shimano M475
    Tires Continental SportContact w/SafetySystem, 700 x 28c
    Crank Shimano FC-M470 Hollowtech, 26/36/48
    Chain Shimano 9-speed
    Rear Cogs /Cassette SRAM PG-950, 11-34
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Octalink BB-ES30
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X-7
    Shifters SRAM X-7 Trigger
    Handlebars Cannondale C3, 20 mm rise
    Stem Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 31.8 mm
    Headset Cannondale HeadShok Si
    Brakeset Avid BB5 Disc
    Brakelevers Cannondale Fire
    Saddle Selle Royal Viper

Any upgrade suggestions???

LA CHÈVRE
    The first upgrades I almost always do are pedals (I wont ride anything but Eggbeaters anymore) and tires. The saddle too if it's not comfortable. In your case though, I would probably keep my money to get decent mountain wheels and tires as soon as possible before thinking of changing anything else...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I just looked at one, what does yours weigh?
    CDT
    (They are $1299 around here)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not sure on the weight. Saw a post earlier that put an 06 model at around 22-24 lbs.

mtbr member
    Get rid of the rear cassette. Nashbar has XT 760s for $50. That can save you between 150-200 grams (200 if you get the 11-32T, 150 with the 11-34T). That's almost 1/2 a pound savings for $50! You WILL notice the difference. In fact, get 2 so you can keep one on the mountain wheelset you'll end up getting. I have Mavic 317s/XT hubs and it's been great.

I have an 06 BBU, and I also replaced the seatpost and handlebars with carbon. There's a couple hundred more grams saved. (And frankly, it looks cool, too!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Upgrades

I have a 2006 BBU and I have upgraded the following:

Stock seatpost (Kalloy) to a Thomson elite 27.2 x 410mm (no setback)

Sram x7 rear derrailleuir to a X9 short cage

Front dearrailleur (Shimano Deore crap) to a 2007 XTR FD-M971 High Clamp

Stock handlebar to a Easton EC70

Stock Crankset Shimano to XT FC-M961 48 36 26 tooth plus BB

Stock shift & brake Cables to XTR Cables and housing for a smooth shift

Avid BB5 w/ 160 rotors to Avid BB7 w/ 185mm rotors

Stock Cannondale brake levers to AVID Ultimate beautiful levers

Slime tube protectors for 700 x 28 tires to prevent punctures

Fatty Ultra DLR Fork to a year 2000 lefty DLR 100mm travel plus Lefty hub

Stock grips to ODI Ruffian Lock on grips

Primo Bar ends

Stock Sram cassette to a 9 speed Shimano Duraace 11-23

I'm very happy with these upgrades I left the bike just like the european 2006 Bad Boy Lefty.

Regards

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    CAAD4,
    Did you upgrade the road wheelset or get a new set with mountain wheels? As I said, I am a relatively novice rider but have been told that the most significant upgrade to do first for this type of bike will be to upgrade the wheels first. The point being that this will give you the best gain in terms of weight, speed, durability, etc.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by bbu_rider
    CAAD4,
    Did you upgrade the road wheelset or get a new set with mountain wheels? As I said, I am a relatively novice rider but have been told that the most significant upgrade to do first for this type of bike will be to upgrade the wheels first. The point being that this will give you the best gain in terms of weight, speed, durability, etc.
    Thoughts?
    I left the stock sunrims DS2 with the stock continental Sportcontact tyres, this is a strong wheelset, with the DT Swiss spokes and the Cannondale fire hubs, I have more than enough for commuting.

My mtb wheelset consists of Mavic D521 CD Ceramic rims (which I don't recommend because they are strong but very heavy) laced to 2mm DT Swiss Champion spokes laced to a shimano XT Disc hubs.

In your place I would look for some nice & light Mavic or DT Swiss disc specific rims, some DT swiss spokes and and a hub with bearings such as the DT Swiss 240.

Regards
    CAAD4

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm looking at the Bad Boy as well, and have a set of 26" wheels that'll fit right up to the bike. But I have 1.5 in. slicks that I'd be running, at the very least to get more maneuverability out of it and a more forgiving ride. (Midwest roads and the buckled surfaces near me).