mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Recommendation on Lefty replacement wheel set?

I'm considering upgrading my wheels. Currently I have stock XM177 that came on my Jekyll. I ride aggressive single tracks and occasionally light downhill runs with no more than 3 feet drops.

What would be a good mid-level performance upgrade in terms of wheel sets?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    try a nice set of i.9's, laced to a beefy rim (for the DHing). They are light and bomb proof, even with a chunky rim. Slightly cheaper would be the lefty hub (stock) on the Mavic 819 disc, they come on the 2007 prophet 2 and the current Rush 3.

shut up and RIDE!
    I recently talked to the guys at I9, and that's what I'm going to order after the New Years. Shoot them an email, and they will ask you a bunch of questions about your riding style, and then tell you what they would recommend.
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I think he said mid level, not $800 to $900

That said, I'd agree, I9's are the bomb

For a more moderately priced solution, lace up your existing front hub, and for the rear, buy a new one if your current one is OE cheapo, go like XT as they're not too pricey, and decent to boot! Go with a decent rim, like Mavic's X819, or maybe a Stan's Flow, both will give you the tubeless advantage, and hold up to some serious thrashing. This also allows you to pick spoke gauge, color, nipple material and color etc. Makes it more personal, cheap, and fun. Then, save your pennies, and buy some I9's when you finally kill these. By my rough figuring, this would run a tad under or around 3 bills depending on final choices.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    spinergy is pretty good

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How about lacing your current hubs to a versatile AM/enduro rim? If you are also looking to replace your hub, Shimano offers a XTR Lefty one for 2008. Mavic has expanded its Lefty stock offerings for 2008, but I am not sure if they would interest you.
    True (The ****** Is You)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've never heard of "Industry Nine" prior to today. I saw the wheels on their website, and they're eye catching. However, my maximum budget is $600....not sure if they have wheels I can afford.

I may go the route suggested by Mendon, since my XM117 is holding up well and works great with my Stans conversion. By the way, what are the weaknesses in the XM117 and who else makes a good Lefty front hub?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by decipher
    How about lacing your current hubs to a versatile AM/enduro rim? If you are also looking to replace your hub, Shimano offers a XTR Lefty one for 2008. Mavic has expanded its Lefty stock offerings for 2008, but I am not sure if they would interest you.
    decipher - I can't find a Lefty specific hub on Shimano's web page. Where did you hear this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here are two pix of the actual product for starters:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...mano_XTR_Lefty

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20..._XTR_Lefty_hub

I am sure there is some literature on this product out there, including availability dates etc.

Stock Cannondales are already equipped with the wheels (see link below), and unless there is a special reason not to, the hub should be available as a stand-alone product.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8VM2.html

Google it and/or ask your local dealer.
    True (The ****** Is You)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Oops... I actually edited my previous post, rather than making a new one to answer your question. So see my previous post then!

Errrr... wtf just happened (pardon my french)? Nevermind!
    True (The ****** Is You)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bought a new lefty Mavic Crossmax UST wheelset back in '06 for $640 but I have no idea if you can find a deal like that now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You can get a great set of Mavic 819's with a DT Swiss 340 rear hub on eBay for a much less than $600 (usually less than $300). They show up on auction all the time. These wheels were original equipment on high end Jekylls and will definitely hold up to your riding.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbr_moron
    By the way, what are the weaknesses in the XM117 and who else makes a good Lefty front hub?
    The 117 is just a weak rim overall, not horrible, but fairly soft, hence, weak. The Lefty hub you have is every bit as nice as any other, remember, all they are, any of them, is a shell that holds two bearings. Wanna upgrade your hub? Put ceramic bearings in it. Beyond that, your just tossing money in the wind. That sais, Woodman, some Italian company whose name escapes me, Industry 9, Mavic, all make hubs, but the last two are for their proprietary wheels only.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbr_moron
    I've never heard of "Industry Nine" prior to today. I saw the wheels on their website, and they're eye catching. However, my maximum budget is $600....not sure if they have wheels I can afford.

I may go the route suggested by Mendon, since my XM117 is holding up well and works great with my Stans conversion. By the way, what are the weaknesses in the XM117 and who else makes a good Lefty front hub?

I have been riding the 819s for a couple of years and other than replacing the stock original rear hub and rear spokes they have been great. I am a 225 lb Clyde...the wheels originally came on a Prophet. I have not been able to convince myself that upgrading my wheels is worth the money

mtbr member
    819's all day long

Great set of UST rims

http://www.27gears.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Good job! spinergy

These work well on my Jeykll XL
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I'm eyeballing a set of Lefty-specific Mavic CrossTrails I can get for a good price, but I'm debating spending the extra $100 or so for a set of Spinergy Xyclones.

I saw that the Spinergy wheels got a "recommended" rating on the review section of the site. I know that 2008 is the first year the Lefty specific set is available, but does anyone have any experience with the Mavic CrossTrails on other bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wheel World has CrossTrails listed for $424 for NON Lefty hubs. I'll call them tomorrow for a quote on the Lefty specific.

Mendon - so a new built XM819 with my Lefty hub and a new XT rear hub will run about $300?

What about this deal on for a set of XM817 from Ebay? It appears the wheels came off of a Rush 3 or women scalpel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mavic-XM819-Cann...QQcmdZViewItem

P.S. ColoradoCyclist quote $479 on a set of Mavic CrossTrails.
    Last edited by mtbr_moron; 12-31-2007 at 09:07 AM.