mtbr member

recomendations - rear shock for a Gemini

I bought a 2004 Gemini 3000 frame. All that is missing at this point is a front wheel and the rear shock. So far my build is as follows:
    brakes: Avid Code 203mm (will try the 185 down the road)
    crankset: shimano saint
    bashguard/chain tensioner: e13 32 special
    rear derailer: SRAM X9 long cage
    shifter: Sram X7
    fork: 07 Marz 66 rc2/ETA

I definaltey want to build it on the heavier side of all mountain. There are no service lifts around so i need to climb but I don't mind a forty lbs or under bike.
    So far it is a toss up between the Fox DHX 5.0 Coil or The marz Roco TST coil.
    I've heard the DHX ios not so great on the Gemini, is this true or a set up issue?

Any suggestions?

skippy from oz

Roco

Gday if you have a medium frame and want the 170mm travel do not buy the rocco it only fits in the frame on the lesser travel, and yes I have installed it backwards upside down and everyway. If you unwind the preload all the way it will show that the shock piggyback eventually contacts the frame and on a big hit will damage the frame and shock .It is a shame as it is am awesome shock , I just sold mine on ebay due to this issue . I am not sure if it fits in the large frame or the DH , I ran a 4 way which was good but now have a 5th which feels sticky and not as smooth as the Rocco , I miss that shock already.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by single-track-mind; 01-08-2008 at 04:38 AM.
    I started with nothing and have most of it left

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information on the fit. I've read that is one of the sticky points of this frame design. I have a large frame some I'm hoping this will give me a little more lee way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jager251
    Thanks for the information on the fit. I've read that is one of the sticky points of this frame design. I have a large frame some I'm hoping this will give me a little more lee way.
    Do a search on this forum. I seem to recall that DHX fit on the large frame but I can't be for sure. If you're not riding a lift access area then you can run a Fox Float RP3 or Fox Floart R.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I can confirm that the DHX5 coil fits nice in a Large frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have no experiance with any of the shocks that you have mentioned but I will say that putting a romic double on my 04 gemini was the best thing i everd did to my bike 10x better in every aspect, little bit of a weight penalty but once you ride it you won't care. trust me

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a Roco WC on my 03 large Gemini. I had to install it different than the Fox Vanilla RC and the reservoir misses the frame by a millimeter. Nice shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    do you notice that your bike is more stable and handles/ corners better in the 150mm travel setting as opposed to the 170mm? I never ride mine in the 170 even on downhills at the ski mountain.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've never had mine in the 150mm setting because I've got a 200mm 888 up front. Jager251... be carefull with the long cage derailluer in the back. I put a new LX long cage on because thats all the LBS had at the time. It only lasted 7-1/2 runs at Diablo before it wrapped it's self around the spokes & frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thats cool man, I ride at diablo when i get the chance. I live in central Jersey. How does it ride with the 200mm fork? Does it make the head tube really slack? I ride the stock sherman 170mm

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had the Sherman 150mm on the bike when I bought it used from a friend but bought the 170mm version for it to match the rear travel. I could never get it set up properly for me and it was the harshest ride ever. Hands were raw after a day of Diablo. Biggest POS of a fork in my opinion. I gave the 150mm fork to another friend to put on his Gemini and after the 2nd run at Diablo it blew up. I'll never buy another Manipoo (fork anyway) again. My friends convinced me to put the (05) 200mm 888rc and it's been awesome. It's saved my ass quite a few times now. It did slacken it quite a bit, but it made it so much more stable. I only do DH/FR with the bike anyway and it rarely gets pedaled.