Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Recall on new Scalpel??

I was at my LBS today (in Europe) and asked if I could make an appointment for a testride on the new Scalpel. They said that they had not yet received the demo models and that the 2 models they had on stock were to be returned to Cannondale due to a recall action.

When asked about this recall, they could not give me any details, except that the recall was issued due to some issues with the lower seatstays/frame junction. According to my LBS Cannondale has encountered problems with some frames and has now issued the recall action.

Unfortunately I cannot be more specific, this it all I'm told and all I know. I could not find any info on the Cannondale website (page listing recalls), so it could just be a bogus story from not so well informed employee. However, this coming from a very large Cannondale dealer who is mostly very well informed there might be some truth to it. I do not know what to think, I hope it's a misunderstanding, a recall is not what this great new bike deserves so short after its birth.

Anybody out there with more detailed information?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

no recall

I just spoke with C-dale , and there is no recall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Not to sound pessimistic, but I have seen a new Scalpel with a seat stay problem. One side pulled out from the rear drop out. Figured it was a Friday afternoon build and didn't get enough glue, wrote it off as that anyhow. Hopefully that's all it was.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    also know atleast one scalpel team 2008 that have been recaled. that was also in europe. maby cannondale i US have another policy then the Europe office.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I was told a women collegiate racer in the New England area was riding a reps demo team Scalpel in a local event and the rear shock mount delaminated from the front connection area. Supposedly it exposed 2 rivet looking like device that held the mounting bracket in place under the carbon weave. Don't know the whole story, though the person relaying the story is a pretty honest no b.s. type of guy. I have a Team issue on order and hope it's either not true or just early manufacturing snafu's

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Last edited by sebastian21; 12-04-2007 at 10:22 PM.

mtbr member
    are these carbon scalpels american made or chinese made frames?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    American 100%

Hup, Hup
    Cannondale is pretty good about getting the word out to their customers if there is a safety recall on one of their products.

They will put it up on their website when that is the case. See it here.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    are these carbon scalpels american made or chinese made frames?
    Bedford, Pennsylvania. I have been to the factory before. (I live in pittsburgh)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it´s strange if they just have recalled some bikes, and not al. wonder if it´s just one shipment that had the problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Well ...

unless a recall will be posted on the Cannondale website soon, I'll take it to be a bogus story then. Sure there might have been some issues with the new Scalpels, but not enough to justify a recall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    know that the team have had problems with cracking/fracturing (can´t find the right word) frames.
    they have recalled my friends frame, before he even had used it, ha hasn´t used it at all.

I´m sure they will solve it. or that they already have solved it. i woud gues that there was a shipment that was bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Bedford, Pennsylvania. I have been to the factory before. (I live in pittsburgh)
    Interesting, I never heard of a recall or malfunction on any of the chinese carbon rushes

mtbr member
    not good, i was tired of that whole cracknfail crap with the gemini...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    Interesting, I never heard of a recall or malfunction on any of the chinese carbon rushes
    Wow, I'd be careful with that! don't want to start another 100 page debate on the US vs Taiwan made Cannondale's!! I have to agree though, just don't say it too loud

Ridin' dirty!
    not good, i was tired of that whole cracknfail crap with the gemini...

....or the Raven.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The delivery of my new Scalpel 4 has been delayed due to problems with the linking of the carbon rear fork as I was told by my dealer. There was also a recall for some bikes that already were in the shops. I think (hope) the problems are limited to one specific lot, as there were other Scalpel models in the shop present from another shipment without any problems.
    I was to get my Scalpel two weeks ago. Now I have to wait until January :-(
    (I live in the Netherlands)

After having posted my first mail I dare to aske some questions right away: I have the opportunity to upgrade my new Scapel with a new Carbon sl for 650 Euro's. Is it worth the pain in my wallet?
    Is this Fox as good, but about 500 grs. heavier?

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    The fox has all the bells and whistles. It is AMAZING. But like you say it is heavier. The fork rides really really well and is alot more plush than the SL. If you favor performance over weight go with the fox. If you prefer ultra light weight to damping options then the SL is your lefty!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tond

After having posted my first mail I dare to aske some questions right away: I have the opportunity to upgrade my new Scapel with a new Carbon sl for 650 Euro's. Is it worth the pain in my wallet?
    Is this Fox as good, but about 500 grs. heavier?
    500 gram? Lefty carbon SL = 1240 gram, FOX RLC version = 1450 grams. thats 210 grams diffrent, not any 500 gram

so the question is if you want to pay 650 euro for 200 grams. offcourse, 200 gram is nice to save, but for 650 euro, there is many good things to buy

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar
    500 gram? Lefty carbon SL = 1240 gram, FOX RLC version = 1450 grams. thats 210 grams diffrent, not any 500 gram

so the question is if you want to pay 650 euro for 200 grams. offcourse, 200 gram is nice to save, but for 650 euro, there is many good things to buy
    It's not half a kg, more half a pound...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    It's not half a kg, more half a pound...
    i know. and he thought it was 500 gram, like 1,1 pound.

here in europe, we have almost every weights in kg and grams nog lbs maby that UK have in in pounds to

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar

No, if that is the case I will not go for it. Although I have ugpraded the bike with Juicy ultimates, Mavic slr, the light Carbon FSA crancks, Thomson Elite and Syntace low riser this is a bit too much for such a relatively small weight saving. (I was told by someone who shoud know that it was around a half kg.) Thanks for your answers. It is al lot easier for me now. Thanks to my recall!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    here you have the weights: http://www.cannondale.com/suspension/08/

they say 1240 grams for the SL fork, have seen pictures show it on the scalpe and it say 1280 grams, so i whould say that the weight on cannondales site should be right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    actual weight 1244g !!! for the sl

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Look at these pictures, from a rider in Belgium:
    scalpelbreuk1.jpg
    scalpelbreuk2.jpg

Ron

mtbr member
    WOW! well that's why I bought the last of the tried and tested series and figured I'd let the new one go through a couple of evolutions before I jumped on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Auw, that looks like the problem I was to get. Poor Ron. What did they tell you about this problem?

Like catnip for people
    apart from noticing the broken chain stays... ma gad, you sure that bike wasn't involved in hurricane katrina... talk about unnaturally dirty

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    apart from noticing the broken chain stays... ma gad, you sure that bike wasn't involved in hurricane katrina... talk about unnaturally dirty

You must be lucky with your rocky soils. I can assure you: this is normal Dutch or Belgian mud and is easily gathered in a one hour-ride after a couple of rainy days. We did not build our dikes for nothing (as you would'nt tell from this picture)

mtbr member
    Yep, I gotta say, it's been a bit like that in wet old Sydney town at the moment. But I guess you just have to man up and take it. Ride on... or walk if your scalpel breaks in half.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    the bike is from a friend of mine. I took that picture.

the bike broke this weekend, sunday, on a (flat) little road mostly used by farmers. So, no asphalt, just (muddy) soil/ground. Our speed was approximately 20-22 km/hour. My friend steered into a turn, drove over a little (20cm or so) heap of soil (or how do you call that?) at the interior side of the corner, and bam, the chain stay broke.

No rocks, no descending, nothing unusual. My friend didn't even fall (this gives you a good view how 'technical' it was)! He'ss very lucky: if this would have happend while going downhill on a technical trail...

The explantation they gave him was that his bike was an early production model they forgot to recall (or sort of...).

As a Cannondale fan I'm glad that it isn't a new problem with the new Scalpel; it seem just to be a logistical problem (the bike had to be recalled, but they didn't). Fortunately... Else I had to spend my 2009 budget on a other bike

My friend will receive - off course - a new one...

And, oh yeah, that mud? Perfectly normal for the time of the year in Belgium. Oh man, do I long for Summer

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister T.
    the bike is from a friend of mine. I took that picture.

the bike broke this weekend, sunday, on a (flat) little road mostly used by farmers. So, no asphalt, just (muddy) soil/ground. Our speed was approximately 20-22 km/hour. My friend steered into a turn, drove over a little (20cm or so) heap of soil (or how do you call that?) at the interior side of the corner, and bam, the chain stay broke.

No rocks, no descending, nothing unusual. My friend didn't even fall (this gives you a good view how 'technical' it was)! He'ss very lucky: if this would have happend while going downhill on a technical trail...

The explantation they gave him was that his bike was an early production model they forgot to recall (or sort of...).

As a Cannondale fan I'm glad that it isn't a new problem with the new Scalpel; it seem just to be a logistical problem (the bike had to be recalled, but they didn't). Fortunately... Else I had to spend my 2009 budget on a other bike

My friend will receive - off course - a new one...

And, oh yeah, that mud? Perfectly normal for the time of the year in Belgium. Oh man, do I long for Summer
    It's not THAT muddy, we can still see logos and recognize the shape of the bike!

Seems like the issue is just the bonding. Still, good thing your friend is not hurt and that Cannondale is taking care of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Whoa!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It's not THAT muddy, we can still see logos and recognize the shape of the bike!

Seems like the issue is just the bonding. Still, good thing your friend is not hurt and that Cannondale is taking care of it.
    Well, he rode only 17 or 18 kilometers...
    You should have seen my Taurine after 50 k's

mtbr member
    you had the same thing with your Taurine? pictures!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Very weird, because the chain stays also broke on both sides and at the same place, and not at the junction of the rear cog !

LA CHÈVRE
    Nothing broke actually, it's the bonding between the carbon stays and the alloy dropout that failed...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle
    you had the same thing with your Taurine? pictures!
    I meant, replying to Dan Gerous post "It's not THAT muddy", that for a muddy bike he "should have seen my Taurine after 50 k's". Nothing broke (!), it was just very muddy

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Nothing broke actually, it's the bonding between the carbon stays and the alloy dropout that failed...
    I can't have access to cannondale tech with my phone . but I know there is a special document about the scalpel carbon 100 seatstay and there is a picture of how its connected to the aluminum and from what I see in the picture its broken... I don't know if someone can double check..

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Something has gone very bad here!
    Attached Images Attached Images

LA CHÈVRE
    nevermind...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 12-11-2007 at 04:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Whole document

mtbr member
    I know of someone who has genuinely snapped in half the 2008 Scalpel 1 chain stay 2 weeks ago. Well they actually snapped the left side and ripped the drive side chain stay out of the front triangle-poor bonding like you guys say.

But its not as bad as it sounds, cos he was apparently going very fast on the north Downs in the UK when the poor griping tires lost grip and he ended up doing about 25kph down a very rocky and muddy hill with the bike on its side, I am told the drive side was ripped out by the wheel when it hit a kind of hump or very large boulder on the hill and the left chain stay was snapped by a protruding small jagged lump of sandstone.

I have only seen a mobile phone shot of the damage and I don’t actually know the person. Apparently its not covered by the warranty but he can get a 20% discount on a replacement frame, fortunately it’s a test bike.

I believe some well known biker said “nothing goes quite like a test bike”

After note-this hill was extremely steep.

Ridin' dirty!
    I guess somebody forgot to do his/her homework! Something very essential is missing here: The forged part that is bonded to the chain and seat stays does not have any retention "Undercuts" and therefore will come lose no mater what. It's not a questions of if but when it'll fail.
    When the chain stays flex there are a lot of shearing forces and without proper retention is doomed to fail.
    Retention cuts that are parallel to the seat and chain stays is stupid. They need to be perpendicular so it works.
    This is basic knowledge every dental lab tech knows.
    Also it'll help to have holes drilled and some sort of rivet placed as extra security.
    I think cannondale just sucks when it comes to carbon fiber period.
    Almost every carbon fiber part they "Engineered" had a recall. They should stick to what they can do best: Aluminum frames!
    I just wait for my fork to fail.........

mtbr member
    Has anyone ever heard of the old scalpel coming apart? From what I know that one was pretty bullet proof, so it's funny they didn't get this right. Maybe it was a little rushed to the market place?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    anyone interesting to buy a 2008 scalpel ultimate upgrade everything with better suff. im about to sell the one I have. I don't feel comfortable riding a bike that could brake any second if I fell.. you guys don't know how fragile this bike is. if you could see how thin is the aluminum . I know this because something happen after my third ride. can't give much details or pics. but im really considering selling the bike and go with another company like scott or get another carbon rush.. I will have to think about it..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    I know this because something happen after my third ride. can't give much details or pics.
    Details....story..something

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    cant say more than that. not allowed

mtbr member
    this type of thing happens with new bike lines, i remember when i got a jekyll when they first came out that had major problems with the magura brakes, very mushy to the point of touching the handle bars. after several attemps of bleeding, and putting a new set of upgraded brakes, we found out that cannondale forgot to sand the paint off where the brake calipers met the frame. all i know someone should get fired if its because someone did bond it right...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

LA CHÈVRE
    its not just the the bond part its the whole design.. the aluminum is not strong enough......
    The aluminum where?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the frame is made out of carbon and aluminum

LA CHÈVRE
    the frame is made out of carbon and aluminum
    Yes but what's wrong with the aluminum? You are so mysterious Sebastian... Come on: out with it!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would agree but the problem here is probably not that the bond sheared like you are proposing but as you can tell by the pictures that there was never a good bond at all otherwise it wouldnt look so clean. The thing came apart because the bond was probably pretty poor to begin with due to some bad bond preparation of either the carbon or the aluminium.

I am sure Cannondale has chosen an epoxy that is more than adequate to survive the shear forces without an undercut. More than likely if the bond was good the carbon laminates would fail much sooner than the epoxy used to bond the two. Undercuts and rivets are nice insurance but not necessary if the bond is done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    I guess somebody forgot to do his/her homework! Something very essential is missing here: The forged part that is bonded to the chain and seat stays does not have any retention "Undercuts" and therefore will come lose no mater what. It's not a questions of if but when it'll fail.
    When the chain stays flex there are a lot of shearing forces and without proper retention is doomed to fail.
    Retention cuts that are parallel to the seat and chain stays is stupid. They need to be perpendicular so it works.
    This is basic knowledge every dental lab tech knows.
    Also it'll help to have holes drilled and some sort of rivet placed as extra security.
    I think cannondale just sucks when it comes to carbon fiber period.
    Almost every carbon fiber part they "Engineered" had a recall. They should stick to what they can do best: Aluminum frames!
    I just wait for my fork to fail.........

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    sorry guys I wish I could say more... lets wait and see what happens with this new scalpel that everybody is waiting for...

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by gk02
    I am sure Cannondale has chosen an epoxy that is more than adequate to survive the shear forces without an undercut. More than likely if the bond was good the carbon laminates would fail much sooner than the epoxy used to bond the two. Undercuts and rivets are nice insurance but not necessary if the bond is done properly.

But I believe cannondale used the rivet method on the "old" Scalpel also.
    I just don't believe bonding alone is adequate in a high stress area like the drop outs, especially not on this design.
    Maybe they should fabricate the alloy parts were they reach like 20-40mm deeper inside the seat and chain stays.
    That would help prevent it from just sliding apart like that in case of a failure.
    I guess you can tell I'm not a very big fan of carbon fiber, heh?
    Does temperature affect the carbon fiber in any way?
    I mean if you ride your bike in freezing temperatures is it more likely to fail?
    Maybe that's why the bonding came off...
    You know like having chewing gum on your favorite suit....all you have to do is put it in the freezer for a while and then you can break it like glass....
    I'm being dead serious by the way!
    (With the suit trick and my question!)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I can appreciate the idea of a mechanical fastener between the dropout and carbon but I guess my point is that if done properly there is no reason to need one.

My thought is that this problem is a production issue and something wasn't done correctly allowing a poor bond and not a design issue with this particular de-bond because even if they were to extend the alloy dropout stub another 20-40 mm it would make no difference because there was never a good bond in the first place.

Carbon is not going to be affected at regular temperatures like freezing but on the other hand aluminium definetely is. Carbon has a CTE of basically 0 while Al has a very high CTE. So when it gets cold the Al is going to shrink while the carbon part isn't going to change size at all and then if the bond is no good its going to slip out much easier than it would if it was warm.

But I believe cannondale used the rivet method on the "old" Scalpel also.
    I just don't believe bonding alone is adequate in a high stress area like the drop outs, especially not on this design.
    Maybe they should fabricate the alloy parts were they reach like 20-40mm deeper inside the seat and chain stays.
    That would help prevent it from just sliding apart like that in case of a failure.
    I guess you can tell I'm not a very big fan of carbon fiber, heh?
    Does temperature affect the carbon fiber in any way?
    I mean if you ride your bike in freezing temperatures is it more likely to fail?
    Maybe that's why the bonding came off...
    You know like having chewing gum on your favorite suit....all you have to do is put it in the freezer for a while and then you can break it like glass....
    I'm being dead serious by the way!
    (With the suit trick and my question!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So your trying to sell your scalpel that has an issue that occurred after your 3rd ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Oh no I have another one, Brand new right out of the box... Its not for sale yet... Dont get me wrong, I love the bike it handles great its a better version of the old scalpel, I just think its not a strong and durable like the old..

I think its like every new product , that there is always something wrong with it, that they have to fixed, and once its fixed, No more problems... It happens most of the time not just with bikes but it happens with Pc's, electronics, cars,
    Last edited by sebastian21; 12-11-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by gk02
    Carbon is not going to be affected at regular temperatures like freezing but on the other hand aluminium definetely is. Carbon has a CTE of basically 0 while Al has a very high CTE.
    I didn't mean the CTE factor...what about the carbon's flexibility? Since the chainstays are designed to flex at a higher degree than the previous model isn't this a problem in the cold?
    Certain plastics break like glass when frozen, so I can Imagine this will happen to the carbon fiber as well....I think it would be better if c'dale would use a horst link or at least a pivot over the dropouts connected to the seat stays like on the previous model to lessen the stressesin this area.
    I mean keep the same design, only implement a pivot on each side.
    Last edited by cdalemaniac; 12-12-2007 at 10:37 AM.

LA CHÈVRE
    I didn't mean the CTE factor...what about the carbon's flexibility? Since the chainstays are designed to flex at a higher degree than the previous model isn't this a problem in the cold?
    Certain plastics break like glass when frozen, so I can Imagine this will happen to the carbon fiber as well....I think it would be better if c'dale would use a horst link or at least on the seat stays like on the previous model to lessen the stresses on the dropouts.
    I mean keep the same design, only implement a pivot on each side.
    Pivots? Are you crazy? They weigh a ton!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    RECALL IS ON!!!

Bad News guys. They are taking all cannondale scalpel back to the factory, they found out the design was not perfect.. They just took mine, Now that could take months... WHich I can not wait.

Its Really SUCKS

LA CHÈVRE
    RECALL IS ON!!!

Bad News guys. They are taking all cannondale scalpel back to the factory, they found out the design was not perfect.. They just took mine, Now that could take months... WHich I can not wait.

Its Really SUCKS
    Didn't you have a Carbon Rush? It wouldn't be so bad in the meantime...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yes, I have a Allow Rush and the carbon is my brothers bike... THey offer me a refund or a carbon rush..?

LA CHÈVRE
    Yes, I have a Allow Rush and the carbon is my brothers bike... THey offer me a refund or a carbon rush..?
    The shop or Cannondale? Still no trace of a recall on Cannondale's website. Man, I hope this gets resolved in time for the summer here, I'm looking forward to my first racing season but not on my Prophet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The shop or Cannondale? Still no trace of a recall on Cannondale's website. Man, I hope this gets resolved in time for the summer here, I'm looking forward to my first racing season but not on my Prophet...
    Both, it should take some days to show up in their website. From what I hear , It will take months.. Anyways Im going for the Carbon Rush....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You cannot be serious!! Iam leaving for a multi day event tomorrow and I am supposed to ride my new Team Scalpel!! What are you saying? Should I trust the bike or not?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventuregs
    You cannot be serious!! Iam leaving for a multi day event tomorrow and I am supposed to ride my new Team Scalpel!! What are you saying? Should I trust the bike or not?
    I dont know what to tell you.. I have seen pictures of this bike bike broken in differents places. I dont know if its a complete failure design or just some of theirs bikes..

Ridin' dirty!
    Both, it should take some days to show up in their website. From what I hear , It will take months.. Anyways Im going for the Carbon Rush....
    Well, that only means after the recall issue is resolved the 2008 Scalpel will be available in early 2008.
    See, that is exactly what happens if a manufacturer just tries to make the new models hit the sales floor as soon as possible only to compete with other companies that do so.
    A little less Rush (Or should I say Scalpel ) and this problem would've not happened in the first place.
    I just hope this turns out okay for those folks that paid a lot of money to be the industry's guinea pig.
    I bet they don't have any problems with the actual team frames.... I bet their factory riders don't have a single creaky Rush or Prophet swing arm either.
    I can see a positive thing though: If this recall costs cannondale a lot of money, then maybe they'll be less attractive to be bought by pacific....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Will it be a recall for Europe only or also for North America ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lemieujp
    Will it be a recall for Europe only or also for North America ?
    I live in the US, and If there is a recall i think it will be everywhere>
    weird thing is that i called Cannondale costumer support, and they are not aware of the recall. they are going to find out with the tech department and they will call me back tomorrow. but my LBS and the rep is aware...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I live in the US, and If there is a recall i think it will be everywhere>
    weird thing is that i called Cannondale costumer support, and they are not aware of the recall. they are going to find out with the tech department and they will call me back tomorrow. but my LBS and the rep is aware...

Not weird for me. C'dale costumer support doesn't seem to be aware and to know anything. I wrote to them several times and called a few times, and they never had the right answer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I dont know what to tell you.. I have seen pictures of this bike bike broken in differents places. I dont know if its a complete failure design or just some of theirs bikes..
    You mean broken in other places than in the bonding area?
    In that case Cannondale (and I) have a huge problem!

mtbr member
    Seem like Cannondale assembles their bikes using ....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well guys my new Scalpel had the same problem! This weekend my chainstays lost connection. My LBS sawed off the carbon parts and send it off to the US. Waiting for a new frame now...

Triplejee
    The Netherlands
    Last edited by triplejee; 12-13-2007 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here's the damage...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    WARNING

If you know somebody with a new Scalpel Carbon please make notice of this failure!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Why the bikes from Vredstein and other CD factory teams have not the same problems?

And the abuse they make their bikes it's a lot more from us!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by prasinopodilato
    Why the bikes from Vredstein and other CD factory teams have not the same problems?

They were not riding production units, they were on pre-production frames. They showed the design is fine, it's just a production problem that will get solved, these things can happen when starting making new products (not only in the bike buisness, it happens all the time with cars), people assembling new parts, using a new process or something along those lines, there can be a learning curve for them we are not aware of, as soon as they notice it, they correct it, make the necessary adjustments and it gets solved. Sure it can suck for the early adopters, let's just hope no one got hurt and of course, Cannondale will take care of the customers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

we don't know that. if they have like 5 or more bikes per rider. one broke . they get another one and they hide it from the public..that way we don't see it.. lol

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i have a scalpel TR2008 ...

still not used , waiting for new parts to reduce weight

but i am not scared

.... 6 year of scalpel .....

LA CHÈVRE
    This might explain the problem... Read on, Bikesnobnyc is often pretty funny!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ok I found out moe. its not a RECALL. there were some problems with the first production of the scalpel. and what they are doing now is they stop selling and they have to send it back to cannondale and check every framet..

FIRENZE rulez !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As far as I know there are two bikes with the same chainstay problem. One in Belgium and one in The Netherlands. I think it's better to go to your LBS Eliflap with your new Scalpel TR 08.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    It's the same bike de Ron posted...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It's the same bike de Ron posted...
    indeed. That's the, euh... 'Belgian broken Scalpel'. Filmed sunday 9th november.

just had a talk with my LBS: C'dale contacted them, and they had to saw the chain stays and seat chains (!) and send the rear and dropouts with UPS to USA by express

Until C'dale figures out what went wrong, my LBS may not deliver any Scalpels anymore (even not the TR2008 in his showroom... :-( )

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister T.
    C'dale contacted them, and they had to saw the chain stays and seat chains (!) and send the rear and dropouts with UPS to USA by express
    Well, that tells us how much they want to resolve this thing as fast as possible...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

hehee, the team have snaped some scalpel frames, just that they have tried to not revel/expose it. but they are stil riding prototype bikes.

but i´m sure they will solve this. probebly some problem with the first shipment

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow
    Seem like Cannondale assembles their bikes using ....

Or to make this more understandable for us non Europeans:

Ridin' dirty!
    They were not riding production units, they were on pre-production frames. They showed the design is fine, it's just a production problem that will get solved, these things can happen when starting making new products (not only in the bike buisness, it happens all the time with cars), people assembling new parts, using a new process or something along those lines, there can be a learning curve for them we are not aware of, as soon as they notice it, they correct it, make the necessary adjustments and it gets solved. Sure it can suck for the early adopters, let's just hope no one got hurt and of course, Cannondale will take care of the customers.
    It makes me think that c'dale is Bull$hitin' us with their so called testing obsession philosophy though....
    I mean....they say every day several bikes get pulled out of production and tested...not only on a machine in the lab but actually ridden.
    They have a guy at the factory that does just that and the first test is always a jump of the loading ramp in the back of the factory which is like 3-4' high.....
    Maybe that dude is on vacation and nobody else knows how to testride a bike?
    Or maybe c'dale didn't feel like
    "Obsessively test" a very expensive bike to save some money....

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Believe it or not this bike was tested like crazy. There is a proof test at the factory that puts a 3000 lb load onto the dropout and all the bikes that went to the field had passed that test. There is some sort of load that can cause it to fail, but for whatever reason it cannont be replicated so easily on a test machine. I also know an early proto was taken to Diablo Freeride Park and was taken off sever 3+ foot drops and high speed berms, jumps and rock gardens without so much as a whimper. This bike will be proven out and it will continue to win races. They just need a chance to get it all sorted out...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just received from my dealer the message that today we have an official recall for all Scalpel 100 carbon bikes. Also mine (aluminium Scalpel 4) is part of it. Propable delivery: end of january 2008!

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    Believe it or not this bike was tested like crazy. There is a proof test at the factory that puts a 3000 lb load onto the dropout and all the bikes that went to the field had passed that test. There is some sort of load that can cause it to fail, but for whatever reason it cannont be replicated so easily on a test machine. I also know an early proto was taken to Diablo Freeride Park and was taken off sever 3+ foot drops and high speed berms, jumps and rock gardens without so much as a whimper. This bike will be proven out and it will continue to win races. They just need a chance to get it all sorted out...
    I'm not talking about the Prototypes here.
    If this is a bad batch I wonder how this can happen since like I mentioned before EVERY BATCH gets tested. That's what cannondale says.
    If that was really true, then the bad frames would've never left the factory!!
    So, i say that cannondale is bull$hiting by saying that they pull bikes out of THE ASSEMBLY LINE and test them!!!

FIRENZE rulez !!

Explosive
    If that was really true, then the bad frames would've never left the factory!!
    So, i say that cannondale is bull$hiting by saying that they pull bikes out of THE ASSEMBLY LINE and test them!!!
    You are jumping to conclusions, Just because they did not detect the problem in the factory does not mean that they did not test for it. For example: The glue used to hold the 2 parts together does not start to break down for 1-2 months, (or it does not dry completely for 10 days). In that case they could have tested and retested each one of the bikes that they shipped and not have found the problem.

I am not defending cannondale for putting out a faulty product, but your assessment is not logical. You assume too much in it.
    I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television; we are not all vibrant fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days, when entertainment was mild and inoffensive.

mtbr member
    thats a list! i wonder if other bikes have as many recalls?

Ridin' dirty!
    thats a list! i wonder if other bikes have as many recalls?
    That list is only so long because the documents are in different languages and besides, not every post equals a recalled bike but components as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0