mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Rear Shock Options for 05 Prophet 1000

I am not very educated about rear shocks, so forgive my ignorance.

I am currently running a Manitou Swinger 3 way (that came stock on the 05 Prophet 1000). I am looking to replace it with something more versatile and that will give me more options for lockout/pedal-bob reduction. I am using this bike for some mild racing and want to get something more efficient for that purpose.

The specs are 200mm eye to eye with a 50mm stroke. The bike is 140mm travel

I am going to have to buy something used, so my options will vary. My question is whether the replacement shock has to be those exact measurements, or can there be some variation in either the eye-eye or the stoke distances?

Any suggestions of what would be a good shock to look for?

Does the shock determine the travel or this based on the frame?

Thank you, and again I apologize for my ignorance.

mnt bike laws of physics
    The eye to eye (200mm) needs too be the same. Some of us are running a longer stroke such as 55mm or 56mm. If you are using this for racing, you may want to stick with 50mm stroke. The stroke is what determines the amount of travel along with the frame design/linkage.
    Personally, I recommend the Dt Swiss M 210 which is here -> http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Susp...cks/M-210.aspx
    Or the Fox RP2 or RP23. You will likely not find the DT Swiss used, but I think it would be worth checking out your LBS and getting a price on it.

The DT Swiss has a lockout while the Fox Shox does not have a full lockout but depending on the shock (the tunes are not all the same) it can come pretty close...much closer than you Manitou offers you now.

While adding another expense - the DT Swiss and RP2 offer a remote option which makes using the lockout (or Pro-Pedal in the Fox's case) so much easier to use - especially in race situations.

mtbr member
    You'll be limited to just XC mode if you go with the 55 or 56mm stroke. You travel will bump up to about 155mm. If you are looking for a shock in the use market I'd go with either one of the strokes just to give yourself a larger option to pick from. Fox RP23 is a very nice rear shock that has a near full lock out with the propedal on. It's more then enough for most aggressive out of the seat burst of power.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the input. Based on the recommendations, I am going to keep with the same 200X50. I really like the DT Swiss suggestion. However, my very strict medical student budget does not comply, so that will have to wait. I found that appears to be decent temporary solution. What do you guys think?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/852521/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Prophet's falling/regressive rate is designed with a low volume shock in mind so that the natural progression of the air shock works out as a linear rate on the bike.

A high volume shock will just plunge through the travel in a less controlled way. - Bear this in mind when purcashing a replacement shock (though you can reduce the air can size by adding extra oil into the air chamber). This may only apply to Fox shocks, unaware of DT/RS's shock spec's, but worth mentioning IMO.

Unless you shock is dead or dying, I'd save the cash for now & save up for a Fox RP series shock with the low volume/regular air can. My 2010 RP23 (PUSHed) works superbly on my Prophet, and you don't hear any bad things about fox shocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So i found a DT Swiss XM180 200x55 for a very good price, What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Can someone confirm the stroke length on the 05 prophet

I was assuming my shock was 200x50, because that is what the manual said. Then I realized it was a 2007 manual. I measured it and it appears to be 2.5 inches or 63.5 mm. Am I doing something wrong?
    Is the 05 that different from other years?
    Can someone tell me what they are running on an 05?

I have attached a picture of what I am measuring. Sorry it is not the best pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear Shock Options for 05 Prophet 1000-img_0191.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brilehnhof View Post
    I was assuming my shock was 200x50, because that is what the manual said. Then I realized it was a 2007 manual. I measured it and it appears to be 2.5 inches or 63.5 mm. Am I doing something wrong?
    Is the 05 that different from other years?
    Can someone tell me what they are running on an 05?

I have attached a picture of what I am measuring. Sorry it is not the best pic.
    The actual shaft length is not the stroke length. Inside the shock are spacers that will limit the shock from using the entire shaft and essentially only using 50mm of the 68mm shaft. However I can not assure you that the shock you have is 50mm.. unless you remove all the air from your shock and compress it all the way to the end of its stroke. Then marking that end with a piece of tape; re-inflate the shock and have it full extended.from the tape to the seal should be the actual stroke length.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That makes a lot of sense. I assumed that it had to be the 50mm based of my research and the other comments shared here. I just got worried/confused when I measured it myself.

Thank you so much for the clarification.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have an RP23 high volume. 130 lbs air pressure, propedal used at 3 , rebound in the middle of its settings. It is 200 x 50. Works perfectly on my Prophet 600.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

DT Swiss XM 180

Any had any experience with the DT Swiss XM 180 shock? I would be doing it in a 200x55 so I would run it in my XC geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist View Post
    I have an RP23 high volume. 130 lbs air pressure, propedal used at 3 , rebound in the middle of its settings. It is 200 x 50. Works perfectly on my Prophet 600.
    I forgot to say that I have it in XC mode.

mtbr member

New question here. 7.875 x 2.25?

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist View Post
    I forgot to say that I have it in XC mode.
    are you saying the shock is a 2.25 stroke?
    if so, what becomes of the 69* HA?
    does the longer stroke slacken the XC setting?

thanks!