bicycleonthebrain

New question here. Rear Rack on Scalpel???

I wanted to put a rear rack on my Scalpel for some multi-day training I won't be haulin alot, as little as possible that is the goal. just my bevy sleeping bag and a tarp. Do you think that this would cause any warranty or fatique problems with the carbon stays and suspension? I was thinking about an old man on mountain rack I also thought about a seat post rack but i've heard alot of story's about them not making the whole trip so I'm not sure about that. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

LA CHÈVRE
    I would get a seatpost mountd rack, the other one looks like it needs to be fixed to the seatstays and that's not a good idea on a Scalpel, the seatstays are moving with the suspension, they don't go very far up and I woulnd't want to tighten something to them to tight...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

bicycleonthebrain
    thanks for the reply.

bicycleonthebrain
    O.K., I found a rack from topeak . Now I'm curious if I need to change my seatpost. It's a stock C-Dale wind carbon that came with the bike. It looks carbon but inside I see an aluminum sleeve or something. If I plan on clamping a rack should it be replaced. I was thinking about a thompson post but not too sure. Rack is going to haul bevy 30degre bag, and mat. An idea ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vzman
    O.K., I found a rack from topeak . Now I'm curious if I need to change my seatpost. It's a stock C-Dale wind carbon that came with the bike. It looks carbon but inside I see an aluminum sleeve or something. If I plan on clamping a rack should it be replaced. I was thinking about a thompson post but not too sure. Rack is going to haul bevy 30degre bag, and mat. An idea ?
    I would error on the cautious side and not go for carbon or a lightweight seatpost.

mtbr member
    carbon seatpost should be ok, just depends on how much weight is on the back, and if your going off road and such.

mtbr member
    A rack on a Scalpel ???
    Why not just use a back pack ?

bicycleonthebrain
    two to three days of supplies offroad

Good For You
    Check our the endurance forum. Many people have put a lot of thought into their multi-day setups. Very few use the seatpost mounted rack. Its basically a lever and even if you put the recommended max weight on it, once you start bouncing around, the stress on that clamp at the seatpost goes up. The old man mountain is less prone to breaking and mounts on your rear axel with stabalizers on the stays. From a suspension standpoint adding mass to moving parts isnt ideal, but adding 20-30 lbs. of gear anywhere to your bike/body isnt either.

mtbr member
    Should probably think about using many smaller bags; a small load on a seatpost rack, some stuff in a frame bag, some stuff in a handlebar mounted bag, and then the rest in a small backpack.