Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rear Hub & Linkage Problems?

878 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Sudsy 
#1 ·
I am the proud owner of a 2004 Scalpel 2000.

I love this bike....

Since I got the bike I have had a few issues with the rear end.

Cannondale has been exceptional with thier customer service and warrentee.

Has anyone else had any issues with this particular bike?

#3 ·
Glad you asked.....

I have had to replace 2 rear hubs due to the bearings spinning loose and grinding into the hub body.

I have also had to replace the rear linkage due to the bolt snaping and ovalizing the linkage and bushings.

The rear brake is constantly rubbing despite taking it to the lbs and having them recenter the pistons and brake.

I have only had the bike for 2 months. When it works it is fast and fun. But I have spent so much time and energy trying to keep it on the trail that I can't bear to ride it for fear of it breaking again.

Any suggestions?

Please note that Cannondale has been fantastic about warrantee to this point. But sooner or later the warantee is going to run out and I am not made of money.

I dunno....

I have never owned anything other than a Cdale. I even bought my wife one and I was in the market for a road bike. But now I dunno?

I am sure that this is the exception to what I have found in the past to be an awsome company and awsome product.

#5 ·
Second Hobby...

Sudsy,
Watching, Buying, and Selling Cannondale bikes and parts on eBay is one of my other hobbies, it allows me to get nice bikes and parts at a fraction of the price I can at my LBS. A '04 Scalpel 2000 will usually sell between $1700-2200. Ebay I have found is totally dependant on who and how many are looking for the exact item you are selling.

A good presentation and description, several clear pictures of the item, will help. Sometimes feedback is also an issue. I wouldn't recommend selling an item such as a $2000+ bike yourself if you don't have a good feedback rating of atleast (20) or more. Buyers want to know you've been following through and not some type of scammer. Maybe you have a friend with a good rating?

I'd keep it....

#7 ·
jekyllman said:
Thanks for the info.

I am still on the fence as to weather or not I will keep it or not. I am really pleased with Cannondale's customer service. I makes it a bit easier to keep the bike.

For now they are replacing my rear hub. Any suggestions as to what type I should get them to replace it with?

I was thinking a Chris King hub would be nice? Something in a silver?

Or how about an XT hub?

Again thanks so much for the info. It is nice to have this board to get advice as well as to watch people beat up on Klienattitude!

Hahahah!

#8 ·
Sudsy said:
Thanks for the info.

I am still on the fence as to weather or not I will keep it or not. I am really pleased with Cannondale's customer service. I makes it a bit easier to keep the bike.

For now they are replacing my rear hub. Any suggestions as to what type I should get them to replace it with?

I was thinking a Chris King hub would be nice? Something in a silver?

Or how about an XT hub?

Again thanks so much for the info. It is nice to have this board to get advice as well as to watch people beat up on Klienattitude!

Hahahah!
Sudsy, I'm sure Cannondale will replace it with a like part.
The hubs on that bike are DT Hugi Onyx branded as Connondale earth wind and fire (pick one) and they're pretty good hubs.
I've two sets of wheels for myu Scalpel. both front wheels have the Lefty hub of course but one has a Mavic X3.1 UST rim and the other a X223 (OEM).

The only problem i have had with my cannondale is the rear Fox Float shock kept leaking air. The local agents replaced teh seals and it's been fine ever since.

other than that the bike has been a joy to own

#9 ·
Good point.......

I may just end up paying for the different hub myself. I have had 2 cannondale hubs go on me and I am not really feeling all that great about putting another one on.

Good to hear that nobody else is having the same difficulties I have had so far. I must just be that one unlucky guy.

Thats ok though.....I like the brand and as I said Cannondale and my LBS have totally been great about all the probs so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.