Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,896

    Rear disc brake conversion.....

    Hey guys since I'm in the process of "Modernizing" my good ole' Delta V I was wondering what type of rear disc brake adapter yall are running on a frame with those cantilever dropouts.
    I found one on eBay, but since it comes in different sizes (170mm bar length and 145mm) I don't know which one to get.
    Right now I'm using an old A2C adapter which is really chunky looking.
    Bike will have full X9 group with XO 9spd cassette, Thomson seatpost and clamp, lefty PBR, custom mavic 819 wheels etc. so I need a "clean" looking solution here.
    Thanks for any input!

    Here's the link to the brake therapy look a like:

    New MTB Bicycle Bike Rear Disc Brake Adapter Kit 145mm Black | eBay
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  2. #2
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,896
    Anybody??? Hellooooooooooo??!! ;-)
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  3. #3
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,388
    Well now you know: nobody converts old rim brake frames to disc.

    IMO, you're investing waaaay too much in this (parts, money, time). It's like trying to bolt a Porsche transmission into a Hyundai Pony, doesn't make much sense... If I had a Delta V, I would either keep it as close to it's original form, or build it very basically into a nice commuter maybe, or hang the frame as decoration.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  4. #4
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Well now you know: nobody converts old rim brake frames to disc.

    IMO, you're investing waaaay too much in this (parts, money, time). It's like trying to bolt a Porsche transmission into a Hyundai Pony, doesn't make much sense... If I had a Delta V, I would either keep it as close to it's original form, or build it very basically into a nice commuter maybe, or hang the frame as decoration.
    Ha, ha, ha funny Dan ;-) It's not that I have to go buy extra parts....only thing I need to buy would be said adapter. Parts came of my Rush frame I have on ebay, don't need 2 fullies mostly ride my Prophet so I figured I give it a try. I'm keeping my single speed parts I had on it before though just in case.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  5. #5
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,673
    Put a modern fork on it, mount a BB7 on that, and run V's out back.

    Most stopping power is used in front, there you have a disc.

    V's out back allow you to run BB7's and have matching levers.

    Done it for a bunch of older conversions, works just fine!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Put a modern fork on it, mount a BB7 on that, and run V's out back.

    Most stopping power is used in front, there you have a disc.

    V's out back allow you to run BB7's and have matching levers.

    Done it for a bunch of older conversions, works just fine!
    Isn't the best modern fork technically not even a fork????


    To the OP,
    I recently road with an old HS buddy and his old 90 Cdale. He put on the hydro v-brakes from Formula or Magura. He said the difference was night and day. So, in keeping the look of your bike (I used to have one) and not overstressing that rear triangle, the hydro v brakes could work. Now, that does mean that 819 rear wheel as to be "non disk only".
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  7. #7
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,896
    Thanks for the input guys! I mean it IS already converted, that A2Z adapter works fine, just looks weird.....The brake therapy look-a-like is what I really want just wondering about the bar length and if someone already mounted it on their bike for a similar conversion already. ... ;-)
    Rear brake's busted anyways so I'm waiting for the new ones to show up here pretty soon...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear disc brake conversion.....-dscf3229.jpg  

    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! I mean it IS already converted, that A2Z adapter works fine, just looks weird.....The brake therapy look-a-like is what I really want just wondering about the bar length and if someone already mounted it on their bike for a similar conversion already. ... ;-)
    Rear brake's busted anyways so I'm waiting for the new ones to show up here pretty soon...
    I had that same bike and color. It had a headshock. It's sitting in some garage in TX right now gathering dust from the guy I sold it too. He's a roadie anyway.

    I remember that bike climbed well. I'm not sure if it was the geo or what, but I sure climbed better with it. Now oddly enough, my Rize 140 weighs the same.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  9. #9
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,896
    Yeah, I know right? My Prophet weights 26.87lbs, with big brakes, cassette, bashguard and 2.35 Hans Dampf tires...My Delta with "Normal" components like you see 'er on the pic a tad over 25lbs... :-)
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Similar Threads

  1. hydraulic disc brake conversion
    By nathanaver00 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-27-2013, 09:03 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2012, 03:30 PM
  3. Rear disc brake rub - Avid BB7
    By DownesVanZandt in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
  4. brake therapy disc brake conversion?
    By ritabiker in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM
  5. Disc Brake Conversion - rear stay brake line?
    By RBatsch in forum Litespeed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •