mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Rear cassette preference....

Generally speaking, what do most people use for xc-racing, 11-32 or 11-34? Is there an advantage to one over the other, or is it more a matter of what type of course you are riding on? I currently use an 11-34 on my Jekyll, but am putting together a spare set of wheels and am wondering if I should try an 11-32 cassette. Also, will I need different length chains for the two different setups, or can I use my existing chain with the 11-32?? I'm planning on buying a new chain anyway, but it would be nice if it would work with either cassette.

Thanks in advance!!
    Jack

LA CHÈVRE
    It depends at what level. There is not much difference between a 11-32 and a 11-34, slightly closer ratios and a harder low gear for climbing but it's rarely used in xc races anyway... Your chain will be fine on both.

There is a bigger difference when you go with a 12-27 road cassette, popular in the expert to pro ranks. The ratios are even closer and it saves some weight, then it might be good to shorten the chain. Some will keep a 11-34 cassette but run only a 44 and a 29 to 32 middle ring, no granny. I prefer that option personally. It means less shifts at the front, more at the back and shifts on the cassette are much smoother and faster than between chainrings.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks Dan, that's exactly what I needed to know. The 11-32 is about 100 grams lighter, so I'll save a little bit there too, although that's not really what I was after. I'll try it out and see how it works. I do need the small chainring as there is some tight single track that I will be riding/racing on too.