mtbr member

Reach/Stack numbers for medium Prophet MX?

Hi,

I've been hunting a Prophet MX frame for a couple of years (in the UK they're rare, nice ones are ever rarer) and my LBS have got their hands on a medium, in good nic and they're even giving me first refusal and a refurbed shock to go on it.

I just need a little help on the sizing, The ett and head/seat angles are on the Prophet geo sheet that's floating about online, but I can't find the reach and stack numbers, only something called 'front centre' that seems to go all the way to the front axle.

Can anyone help? I don't want get my hands on this things, build it up and find it's a couple of inches too short, that would be terrible...
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 08-24-2011 at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hi, I have a Medium Prophet 4x (same as the MX) and would be willing to give you the numbers if I knew exactly what to measure. So if you could explain which point to point to measure the reach and stack, I'd gladly pull out the measuring tape and get the numbers out for you.

mtbr member
    Dug this up on Pinkbike, explains it better than I can:
    Reach and stack based sizing for mountain bikes - Pinkbike.com

The reach is the important one, it doesn't need to be ultra-accurate, I just want a rough number to compare to my current bike.

Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ahh...I remember reading that article sometime back. Anyways, here's my best eyeball effort numbers:

Reach: 18"
    Stack: 21"

mtbr member
    Thanks for your help, those numbers aren't a million miles from my hardtail, which is what I was hoping.

Put my money down this morning, now to decide what to bolt to the frame...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You're most welcome. I measured my HT and it's longer/taller than my Prophet 4x...probably because I'm comparing a large HT to my medium Prophet, but I kinda like how the Prophet is more agile around the tight switchbacks. Fine tuned the fitting with a Thomson setback seatpost.

Does the frame come with a shock already? If not, you might want to consider going with a 2.5" x 8.5" shock bolted onto the FR setting to make it a "tall prophet". There's a thread or two regarding this mod and since you're buying it used, warranty isn't an issue anymore. I made the switch early this year and I've been loving it since...the extra travel, ground clearance, the works! Work in progress is to swap my 140mm Lefty max with a TALAS 36 to make the front match the rear travel better.

mtbr member
    Frame's coming with a refurbished 200x50 Monarch 4.2 and some new hardware that the shop has fitted,

I like my bikes quite low, bb scraping along the ground low, so I'll stick with the stock geometry for the moment (with a 150mm Sektor), although that's an interesting suggestion.