mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Smile Re-Birth of the Lefty Max??????

I'm sticking my neck out on a limb here, but just spoke to the Cannondale Distributor here with regards to stocking up on spare parts for my Lefty Max. Firstly he said that there will always be parts available, and more importantly he has been led to believe that the Lefty Max will make a comeback in '09- as he put it because of the outcry of the fork being culled. If its true then well done to all the guys who had a good whinge and well done to Cannondale for listening!! Hope its true!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    From my experiences with the Lefty, then I wouldn't purchase another one. I've already had to rebuild one(sending it in to Cannondale) and I have another one which feels like its going out just the same as the first did. I'm about ready to throw it off my bike and go with a good ol' tried and true fork that has a bar on both sides!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    which lefty specifically have you had difficulties with?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Lefty Max, Not sure about anything more than that. Right from the get go then I had problems with it(Used bike), so I've always been offish towards it and just can't wait until I can get rid of it. Yeah, I know when you buy used bikes then you get used stuff, but two of them giving me problems like that? I'm just not into that. And then to top it off Cannondale uses a unique size of neck tube, which means that I have to get spacers for a normal fork to fit on it, and it also reduces the selection of forks that I can put on it because of the queer size.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Oy, another person with a used fork, qnd no dealer to fix it properly. Now they think it's the forks fault. when will it end?

As to parts, don't buy the rosy outlook. Service parts such as races and bearings will be available, but since there are no more SPV, TPC, or FFD internals being made, and Cannondale doesn't have enough to make foprks up, that are already on order, can't see how they'd have them "always". End of rant. New forks should be available by mid year, hoipefully before '09. If the rumor mill is correct, it will be at LEAST, the same travel, maybe more, with Fox made "RL" internals. Straight poop, right from the tech room. They're riding it already FWIW.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Oy, another person with a used fork, qnd no dealer to fix it properly. Now they think it's the forks fault. when will it end?
    :
    Hey dude, I sent it into Cannondale, still having problems. And the other one that I have(Haven't sent it in) has issues. I'm not saying its a bad fork for everyone, I'm just saying that for me, theres definitely better out there and I'm going to stop wasting my money on the Lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome
    I sent it into Cannondale, still having problems. And the other one that I have(Haven't sent it in) has issues. I'm going to stop wasting my money on the Lefty.
    Issues such as what? These are amongst the easiest forks to work on, available. Also the most reliable. The reason your wasting money is that most shops that send it in, make a profit above and beyond what they are charged by Cannondale, which is already rather pricey, particularly for the amount of effort involved. I can have a Max torn down, seals changed, cleaned, lubed, oiled up and bled, in about 1/2 an hour, all for about $40. For this they charge a kings ransom, plush a $60 rush fee if you want it back in less than 2 weeks. Not fair to you, or any other. rider. Many Lefty issues are easy fixes, and can be accomplished by the owner. I just hate when folks get all bummed on them, and bag on them because the LBS they deal with thinks it's alien technology, and just tries to sell them a Fox etc.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    The Lefty Max, Not sure about anything more than that. Right from the get go then I had problems with it(Used bike), so I've always been offish towards it and just can't wait until I can get rid of it. Yeah, I know when you buy used bikes then you get used stuff, but two of them giving me problems like that? I'm just not into that. And then to top it off Cannondale uses a unique size of neck tube, which means that I have to get spacers for a normal fork to fit on it, and it also reduces the selection of forks that I can put on it because of the queer size.
    I'll help you get rid of it, send them to me! Exactly what kind of Max do you have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    I can have a Max torn down, seals changed, cleaned, lubed, oiled up and bled, in about 1/2 an hour, all for about $40. For this they charge a kings ransom, plush a $60 rush fee if you want it back in less than 2 weeks. .
    Now that sounds like something I could deal with a bit better. It costed me over 100 to have my LBS do it, and it took me over 3 weeks.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Now that sounds like something I could deal with a bit better. It costed me over 100 to have my LBS do it, and it took me over 3 weeks.
    I had my LBS dupe me a few times on an older lefty. When I got my MAX I decided to work on it myself. It is very easy (although messy) to break down and rebuild and it is very reliable. The lefty requires a bit more maintenance in my experience but it is easy work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Will the new Fox internals be retro-fittable to the current lefty maxes

Quote Originally Posted by bauchle
    Will the new Fox internals be retro-fittable to the current lefty maxes
    Highly doubtful, as the current Terralogics have their own inner leg, which is not cross compatible with other DLR2's.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The RLC internals will fit into any of the Speed DLR2 Carbon or Bonded Alloy (110mm) structures. Cannondale is already selling the upgrade kit, KH011/, but delivery won't happen for a while.

Supposedly, the RLC will fit into a Terraloggic structure but that requires sending the fork into the Factory tech room.

The only ones that can't get the internals are the SL folks...I mean forks.

mtbr member

The Lefty Max is Dead. RIP

I wrote to Cannondale about why they dropped the Lefty. This was their response:

** For 2008 our Prophet models are spec'd with aftermarket forks and not our HeadShok Lefty fork. In reviewing sales history, the Prophet "Z" code models which feature aftermarket forks sold better then our Lefty equipped models. For the 140mm travel forks, the Lefty proved not to be as popular hence the change. We will still have parts available and will still be able to service the 140mm travel forks for time to come but please keep in mind, like our older HeadShok and HeadShok Lefty forks, over time any fork can become obsolete.

Have a great week!

Heather L. Egolf
    Customer Services/USA
    Cannondale Bicycle Corporation
    172 Friendship Village Road
    Bedford, PA 15522

If you would like to write to her to express your concerns over this decistion her email is Heather.Egolf@cannondale.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy
    I wrote to Cannondale about why they dropped the Lefty. This was their response:

** For 2008 our Prophet models are spec'd with aftermarket forks and not our HeadShok Lefty fork. In reviewing sales history, the Prophet "Z" code models which feature aftermarket forks sold better then our Lefty equipped models. For the 140mm travel forks, the Lefty proved not to be as popular hence the change. We will still have parts available and will still be able to service the 140mm travel forks for time to come but please keep in mind, like our older HeadShok and HeadShok Lefty forks, over time any fork can become obsolete.

Have a great week!

Heather L. Egolf
    Customer Services/USA
    Cannondale Bicycle Corporation
    172 Friendship Village Road
    Bedford, PA 15522

If you would like to write to her to express your concerns over this decistion her email is Heather.Egolf@cannondale.com
    I don't want to bring anyone down but from my past experience, I wouldn't trust Heather too much, she knows a lot less than many of us here do....

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    The only reason for buying my Jekyll was the Lefty Max. Otherwise, it would have been just another anonymous single-pivot 5 inch trail bike. And as we know, the market is already flooded with those. The Lefty made it stand out, and people asked questions. A lot of questions. I hope she's wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    no, i think she's right about it selling better without the lefty in some segments of the markeds, but when they offer three or four lefty equipped models in all ranges, and then offer a lower end and mid end one without, it kinda goes without saying that the z version is gonna sell quite a bit as it caters to both the mid and high end marked. I think the sales would equal out (lefty vs none lefty) if a high end model without lefty was offered too. And if all the guys who sold em had tried em extensively and cannondale would reaaally focus on customer service/education of servicing procedures i think the lefty would sell a lot better. Remember, there are a lot of people out there that think the lefty is an abonimation since it's actually stiff as hell and it doens't say fox anywhere on it. I think a lot of people over here has been caught quite off guard with the superb performance of the lefty speed, so if people would dare to try the lefty things would get better for us all.

the prophet is still a nice bike without the lefty, but would i buy one? no, i don't think so. perhaps a mx1 or equip one as one(meaning put a 36 one it), but never for trail only use. while my lefty isn't as nice as it could be right now, i have confidence that it will be shortly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Any more info/links on this RLC development? I haven't seen it on the Cannondale website. I'm interested in upgrading my DLR2 Speed Bonded. Anyone know if these have a blowoff valve for the lockout? I've wasted the seals on my old DLR ti more than once.

What are the changes between the 07 & 08 leftys?

LA CHÈVRE
    Not super detailed info but still: 2008 Headshok and Lefty range.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :