mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Raven Super V sl carbon frame.

Hello there.

A friend has a Raven Super V sl carbon frame and we are trying to install a 1/1.8'' fork.

We tried with cane creek Double XC headsets but no luck because the frame was a little bigger than the headsets and had a small play.

Any suggestions?

I suggested him that it's time to hang it at the wall but he wanted to make it rideable for sentimental reasons more likely.

So please if anyone knows another option to fit the 1/1.8'' fork?

mtbr member
    A set of custom made reducers will fix the problem, assuming your buddy wants to spend the money. I had a pair made for my Uber V for $50 in labor and another $60 for the material. Got the material (7075 Aluminum) from McMaster-Carr and my local machine shop did the work for me.
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Tell him to get a Lefty. That should solve that problem.

mtbr member
    Problem Solvers will work-
    http://rbikes.com/page.cfm?PageID=27...ils&sku=HD9902
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPHSRED/HD9902

They're designed to go into C'dale headset cups which are the same size as the Raven headtube.

mtbr member
    As bbbr said, custom machined alum. bricks will do it. They [can be made to] press deeper into the headtube than the Problem Solvers will (clarify: when PS cups are machined to fit the headtube). Having used both, I recomend machining some up, the PS cups are too creaky
    Last edited by GrampBredo; 12-19-2007 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member
    The problem solvers will work but with the ones I've played with, the fit up is loose between the reducers and the SI cups. They also added a lot to the total stack height which wasn't going to work for me and my Uber V.

When i had mine machined, I made the press depth as deep as possible and used the Problem Solver's ID and the SI cups OD for the diameter's and the machining tolerances found on the Chris King website (I'm running a CK Patriot for a headset). I also made the lip that would seat against the bottom and top of the head tube 0.125" thick to allow the use of a long travel fork with out violating the max. fork length Cannondale spec's on the Super V. All together the custom reducers were worth the cost, i haven't had any problems what so ever with my headset. No creaks, groans or other odd noises like i had when i used other reducers.

My set up-

and the drawing i made (i crossed out the dimensions shown and filled in my own, as i was learning to control solid works at the time and accurate dimensions eluded me)-

And completely OT- cool to see that someone else knows that Tuff sheds are the choice of frozen grandpas everywhere...
    Alea Jacta Est

Ridin' dirty!
    The inner diameter of a Raven Headtube has the same size as the inner diameter on the regular SI Headset cup.
    On the Raven frames the the HeadShok bearings are pressed into the head tube without the SI headset cups and therefore cannondale doesn't recommend the use of a traditional 1 1/8 fork.
    So the problem solver reducers that normally fit inside the HeadShok headset cups and add unwanted stack height there are the easiest way to convert to a 1 1/8 fork since they go directly into the frame without any issues and have the same size as the HeadShok bearings.
    Simply put: Instead of pressing the bearings in place, use the Problem Solvers (They'll be Flush with the head tube), add headset of choice, install fork, be happy.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    But bbr claims that they fit loose to the Raven frame.
    Cdalemaniac have you tried problem solvers and they are ok withoun any play between the si cups?

So should i go for the machine design or problem solvers?

We live in Greece so i if i go to problem solvers i should search them from online cycleshop in US.

What do you suggest?

mtbr member
    The Problem Solver cups fit loose in the SI cups, I've never tested the fit in a Raven. Sorry for the misunderstanding prasinopodilato.

If the P.S. cups fit loose in the Raven frame, I'd have a set of reducers made that would press in the frame where the bearings normally sit (essentially rip off and reproduce the PS cups but with the correct dimensions for a press fit). It's not ideal and a bit shallow compared to the a typical press depth but it does work. My cousin rode on a pair of PS cups machined to fit directly into a Super V head tube like a standard reducer for a year or so without any issues.
    Alea Jacta Est

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbr
    The Problem Solver cups fit loose in the SI cups, I've never tested the fit in a Raven. Sorry for the misunderstanding prasinopodilato.

If the P.S. cups fit loose in the Raven frame, I'd have a set of reducers made that would press in the frame where the bearings normally sit (essentially rip off and reproduce the PS cups but with the correct dimensions for a press fit). It's not ideal and a bit shallow compared to the a typical press depth but it does work. My cousin rode on a pair of PS cups machined to fit directly into a Super V head tube like a standard reducer for a year or so without any issues.
    I used the PS once on my Super V1000, added a regular cane creek headset and didn't have any problems.
    Other than that I totally agree that if they are lose fitting custom made reducers are the way to go.
    That's if there is a local machine shop close by......
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i found these http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC309453
    (the other 2 links you wrote before doesn't ship international)

Hope they will do the trick!BPC309453.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prasinopodilato
    i found these http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC309453
    (the other 2 links you wrote before doesn't ship international)

Hope they will do the trick!BPC309453.jpg
    Those will not work. They are designed for a 1.5 Headtube.

These are the correct ones:
    http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC309451