CTB
    mtbr member

Raven owners: Can you help me?

Hi all. I've seen that the Raven has a pretty strong following to this day. I was hoping some of you current owners could help me out. I'm looking for the I2I and stroke dimension on the rear shock. I believe Raven 1 is what I'm looking for (the one with the slotted mounting end), but I will gladly take any shock info you can offer. I've heard second-hand that the shock is 5.8" I2I and has a stroke of 1-5/8" (147mm X 41mm in metric terms). If true, that would be perfect - I'm asking because I'm working up a project bike in my head, and the Raven shock seems to be the only one that will work in the hard-to-fit application I'm creating.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Much appreciated. Of course, if the dimensions I have listed above are true, then the next step will be to see if anyone has a shock they wanna sell. Yes, I can hear you all laughing. A working Raven shock seems to be a great thing to have, so I imagine no one is parting with them.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Don't know the dims off hand, but if you simply need a shock for it, Risse makes one.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

CTB
    mtbr member
    That's the shock I'm looking at, but since I don't have a Raven, I'm hoping to find the dimensions to determine if that shock will fit the application I have in mind. Though a lower-priced alternative would be welcomed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    That's the shock I'm looking at, but since I don't have a Raven, I'm hoping to find the dimensions to determine if that shock will fit the application I have in mind. Though a lower-priced alternative would be welcomed.
    Hi CTB... is 3years considered too late here?.. maybe you're a slow worker :-)
    I can provide the measurements if still required, I have a 1998 Raven 3000 (gen1).

The I2I on full stretch is exactly 6", so the 5.8" shock is the perfect length.
    When fully compressed the I2I is reduced to 4.25".
    I took my tape measure to the frame so the above is the measurements off the frame mounts with no modifications and with original Super V SL swing-arm.
    So the total max stroke length would appear to be approx. 1.5".
    Perhaps 1 5/8ths is a fraction to long or perhaps exact.

The rear suspension travel is listed at 4" or 100mm in the catalogs with the FOX original shock. These are not standard dimensions, a 6" shock would most likely be considered slightly too long but about 2-5mm. But more importantly a clevis mount isn't something FOX produce any more and not sure who other than RISSE makes those clevis mounts. RISSE produce custom build shocks if needed but I suspect there are others that may do this too. If on the other hand you have a RAVEN (gen2) from 2000-2001 then a standard 6" shock should be fine because the I2I is a bit longer and its standard mounts at both ends.

I doubt this is much use to you anymore but perhaps to somebody else that reads this thread.

CTB
    mtbr member
    You, sir, are a king among men! Is three years too late? Nope. I always have some crazy project going, so I really appreciate this. You actually have caught me in the middle of a stalled project that might get some life with this info.

Can I be so bold as to ask a couple more questions/dimensions? How wide is the shock on both the clevis end and the other? That is, what's the outside dimension where the shock hardware mounts? I'm attaching a couple pics to show what I mean. Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raven owners:  Can you help me?-risse-2a.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    You, sir, are a king among men! Is three years too late? Nope. I always have some crazy project going, so I really appreciate this. You actually have caught me in the middle of a stalled project that might get some life with this info.

Can I be so bold as to ask a couple more questions/dimensions? How wide is the shock on both the clevis end and the other? That is, what's the outside dimension where the shock hardware mounts? I'm attaching a couple pics to show what I mean. Thanks again!
    CTB, your welcome.

The clevis end:- the outside dimension on the mounting tab on the frame is 6mm. The inside dimension on the shock is also 6mm, this is a snug fit. The outside dimension on the shock does not matter because that end of the shock is a female. However, the outside dimension on the shock is 22mm.

The other end:- the inside dimension on the swing-arm is 22mm. This matches the outside dimension on the shock which is also 22mm. This I believe is a standard mount.

I have one SV900 and one Raven3000 down to the bone right now. Rebuild project underway for both.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Once again, many thanks - exactly what I was looking for. The only thing left is what size bolt attaches the shock (M6 or M8), but I should be able to find that online. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Once again, many thanks - exactly what I was looking for. The only thing left is what size bolt attaches the shock (M6 or M8), but I should be able to find that online. Thanks again!
    Fixing bolts - M6.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Thanks again!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Sorry to bug you again, but I haven't quite been able to figure out this answer. In the picture above showing the clevis end, are those inserts into the shock, like on any other shock, or are they some type of captive piece that serves as a bearing, etc.? My point is, do they come out, or are they pretty much permanent? All these questions are because I'm working on a Frankenbike, and this shock is the closest I've found to doing what I'm hoping to accomplish. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Sorry to bug you again, but I haven't quite been able to figure out this answer. In the picture above showing the clevis end, are those inserts into the shock, like on any other shock, or are they some type of captive piece that serves as a bearing, etc.? My point is, do they come out, or are they pretty much permanent? All these questions are because I'm working on a Frankenbike, and this shock is the closest I've found to doing what I'm hoping to accomplish. Thanks again!
    I have no idea what a Frankenbike is, are you making it from water pipes?

I hope to be able to set you at rest via photos I am attaching below:

Raven owners:  Can you help me?-image2.jpg

Basically in the photo's you will see that that clevis end on the shock is a "female" end and the tab it attached to on the Raven frame is the "male" side in this relationship.

Raven owners:  Can you help me?-image1.jpg

However, if you don't have a clevis tab on your frame then don't stress because that end of the shock will also fit inside a standard shock mount if your frame has no clevis mounting tab.

That round silver bit you see in the photo would be a bearing. I don't think they can be removed.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Frankenbike means I get bored and try to tweak something old into something new. Definitely not with water pipes.

Thanks for the info about the bearing. Frankenbike will need 8mm mounting holes, so I would have some fabbing to do, but it might be doable.