mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Raven 900SX good frame or bad frame?

I'm the original owner of what I believe to be a 2000 Raven 900SX. I bought the bike back in 2001 and rode it only a few times. Then I moved and the bike has sat in storage for the last few years. I'm trying to figure out if I've got one of the good Raven frames or a bad one. The serial number is LAR00830 which doesn't seem to match up with the recall notices I found on Cannondale's website.

I'm not sure if the dealer did the epoxy injection in the lower part of the frame. When I look at the bottom, there is only 1 drain hole and it is not covered which leads me to believe it has not been done. Does this mean I'm out of luck?

I will call Cannondale next week but I wanted to get some advice on what I should do. I'm thinking they may replace it with a Jekyll frame. Is this a good way to go? I love the look and feel of the Raven and I want to keep it if I can. But I don't want it to break in half while I'm riding.

Thanks for your help,
    David

Are you talking to me?

I think they are replacing them.

Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal55
    I'm the original owner of what I believe to be a 2000 Raven 900SX. I bought the bike back in 2001 and rode it only a few times. Then I moved and the bike has sat in storage for the last few years. I'm trying to figure out if I've got one of the good Raven frames or a bad one. The serial number is LAR00830 which doesn't seem to match up with the recall notices I found on Cannondale's website.

I'm not sure if the dealer did the epoxy injection in the lower part of the frame. When I look at the bottom, there is only 1 drain hole and it is not covered which leads me to believe it has not been done. Does this mean I'm out of luck?

I will call Cannondale next week but I wanted to get some advice on what I should do. I'm thinking they may replace it with a Jekyll frame. Is this a good way to go? I love the look and feel of the Raven and I want to keep it if I can. But I don't want it to break in half while I'm riding.

Thanks for your help,
    David
    Call Cannondale and see what they say. Watch the clear coat for bubbles and discolorations. Most Ravens are being replaced with Jekylls.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What about a Prophet?

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Call Cannondale and see what they say. Watch the clear coat for bubbles and discolorations. Most Ravens are being replaced with Jekylls.
    It does have a few small spots with bubbles and discoloration around the magnesium part of the frame. I really hate to see this bike go. I was never as fond of the Jekyll but I hear it's a great bike. Do you think I could talk them into giving me a Prophet instead of a Jekyll if I wait a few months?

I also remember hearing about lots of problems with the Coda disc brakes and that they were replacing them with Hayes if you complained. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

What happens when they replace a frame with a different style? Will I still be able to use all of the other components that came with the Raven? Is it common for a LBS to charge labor to swap everything out?

Thanks,
    David

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Is there a lifetime warranty on frames? I also have a 900sx which has some light marks. what do these marks mean? should i be concerned and call cdale?

wow. that makes me nervous. this bike wasnt cheap.