mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Smile Radium RL...other Prophet observations

Just bought my Prophet 400 and am in the process of examining parts and noting which I may want to change in the future.

This is my first full suspension bike and I wanted the 400 to use as a test-bed of what I like or don't like and seek solution from there. So far the learning curve is pretty steep, but it's fun to consider parts integrated into a whole system rather than looking at parts for parts sake.

But first, I have a question about the Radium RL. After my intital setting and ride, I think I really like it.

Anyway, my question is:
    What is max safe pressure for the Radium RL?

In order to set the sag at 25%, I'm running about 150 psi (I know...fat a$$). The almost USELESS manual that came with the shock simply stated to adjust the psi to set the sag with no min or max pressure rating. I'm really not concerned about the shock bursting with such small volume, but I am concerned about seals etc. Thoughts?

Anybody ride an "upgrade" shock back to back to the Radium? I really like the lock out, and would not like to loose it, but if an upgrade shock makes the need for the lockout irrelevant, then I think I could live without the lock out. Truthfully, if the differences can only be detected during brutal, technical climbing or hits bigger than a large curb, then I probably won't be in need of a replacement.

Also the crankset that is on the bike now is a budget Truvativ. I never thought I'd say this, but the difference between the Truvativ and my previous Scalpel is VERY noticeable. The Scalpel had a FSA external bearing BB and it was stiff and VERY smooth. As a replacement in the future I'm thinking about the Shimano Hone 2 ring BB. Shimano parts are about 10% cheaper here in japan than even internet prices, so I'm looking about $140 US for them. Any thoughts on the Hone?

Thanks in advance. After reading a TON of threads, y'all seem like a friendly bunch...it'll be fun developing my bike via the forum.

R/
    Konish

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Check out the Cannondale website tech documents under 'set up guides' for the Prophet:

http://www.cannondale.com/tech_cente...tain_bike.html

There is a chart listing suggested set up pressures. It looks like the maximum fat-a$$ setting (sorry- couldn't resist) is 190 psi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Dude, thanks! I have the suspension set-up card that came with my 2006 Prophet but they conveniently left off the max psi for the Radium shock...it only listed the rebound settings. I think in the end however, I'm probably going to approach Cane Creek for a Cloud Nine.

R/
    Konish

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You just can't beat this price ($99.00) for a brand new Manitou Swinger 3-way. This shock is way better than the Radium and the best part is that you can use your existing bushings to mount it.

http://blur.santacruzbicycles.com/ca...fc2f5475608c8b