mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Radium Issues on my Prophet

I wanted to see if anybody else was experiencing this issue and if so have they found a resolution. I have a 2006 Prophet with a Radium rear shock that has a lock out adjustment. Whenever I ride (trails/road) the lock nob always shifts into the lock position after a couple of minutes. My friend has the same bike with the same issue and the lbs doesn't want to help out so that's the end of that business relationship after 14 years and dozens of bikes later.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hm, is there something you could tighten? if not, get on of these:

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...roducts_id=398

hehe, sorry if i was no help here, but the prophet and the 3 way swinger works really nice and 99 bucks is cheap. you could try out the "let's talk about shocks" forum and see if there's anybody in there with the required knowledge. good luck on the quest for info

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm not sure there is something to tighten the lever.... and if there was, it would probably just tighten the lever to it's shaft and turning it wouldn't actually lock the shock. If it locks automatically, it looks like a defective shock to me. LBS like that shouldn't exist so either convince them to do something about it (like fixing the shock or warranty it) or try another shop...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No Adjustment

Thanks for the suggestion on the shock forum.

Unfortunately, this shock doesn't have anything to adjust the lock out nob with.

The link for the swinger shock, is that the correct size for the prophet? 7.875 X 2?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yup, sure is. there's quite a few people on here that has already gotten one for their prophet. why spend a lot of energy and time on a inferior shock (compared to the 3way, though no lock out on the latter) if you can get this one cheap? it's a really nice shock, though i would perhaps cough up the extra for this years rp3ish spv adjustability. 99 bucks is cheap for a brand new shock though, and it's still cannondales shock of choice on the more expensive prophets.

personally i just got a manitou evolver isx6 to replace my rp3/swinger battle. couldn't quite decide which to go for, though i wasn't 100% happy with the rp3 - though some more experimenting prob could've sorted that out. now i'm prob selling bot of em. got it off here:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=334

with the 15% discount it ends up being pretty affordable for me, as i'm from norway where everything cost aboutish twice what they do in the us. haven't tested the shock out too much yet, but it seems really really nice. a little bit on the heavy side with 400grams, but it can take everything i throw at it, is efficient and has superior dampening capabilities compared to a dhx air(better midstroke and sits higher in the travel, or in other words, plush. and there's a lot of tuning options, though that can be a negative thing too.

good luck on the shock upgrade/quick fix. and yes, the lbs should help you out with this one. goes without saying.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i have zero bob and zero issues with my 3-way, i liked it so much i bought another from SC for $99...no brainer. isn't it like a $300 shock?

because i'm lacking in most repair/tune skills i cannot service my own, i have a spare so one can be brought to my LBS.

my experience with shocks are RS Bar and Fox R on my old Trek Fuel, so i really don't know anything.

mtbr member
    I ditched my Radium as well...go Roco!
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web

mtbr member
    I had the same problem with my radium. One time I went through a rocky section and turned to my friends and told them I thought that was kind of rough. Turns out my shock had been on lockout the whole time. I'd had problems with the lockout switch before so I just got that swinger from Santa Cruz. Really happy with it. It doesn't have lockout so you can't engage it by accident but then again you don't have it as an option. I never really used it anyways.