Thread: racks on Jekyl

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

racks on Jekyl

Does any one know if putting racks for panniers on the Jekyls is possible? What about with disc brakes?

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny2022
    Does any one know if putting racks for panniers on the Jekyls is possible? What about with disc brakes?
    You can always use a seatpost mounted rack if you can keep the weight down to 25 pounds or less. Delta also makes a front suspension fork mount rack so you could split your load front and rear, assuming of course that you don't have a lefty. If that won't do it, check Old Man Mountain racks. Not sure if they have one that will work, but they're the most likely source that I know of. They're pricey, but they're awsome racks.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jcw
    You can always use a seatpost mounted rack if you can keep the weight down to 25 pounds or less. Delta also makes a front suspension fork mount rack so you could split your load front and rear, assuming of course that you don't have a lefty. If that won't do it, check Old Man Mountain racks. Not sure if they have one that will work, but they're the most likely source that I know of. They're pricey, but they're awsome racks.

Thanks a lot. I found out about the Old Man racks earlier, and they do look pretty sweet. probably go for those.

Lucifer rides an mtb

Check out the Performance Transit

I bought the Performance Transit quick-release about a month ago and experience so far is good. It's a seatpost mount with a quick-release knob. Installation is quick/simple and it seems to be pretty beefy and has lots of options of how you'd attach things to it. I believe the weight limit is 25lbs.

\|/ What 60 looks like
    In 2001 Cannondale offered a Silk Path Jekyll with a rear rack-
    Attached Images Attached Images

Huge Tracts of Land
    man is that for real??

I can't imagine riding down the street with that on the back

why don't you get a BOB?

Ridin' many miles...
    I got a seat post mount BlackBurn rack for a 56 mile mtb hut trip I did in Alaska (Resurection Pass) a couple years back. I put the bulky, lightweight stuff on the rack (sleeping stuff, clothes, etc) and food, misc gear in my backpack.

The rear rack worked well, but you really have to crank it tight so it doesn't sway and you have to limit the extreme "hucking", obviously.

It served the purpose and I still use the rack on another bike. Nice thing about it is that it has a quick release so it can be removed easily. When we got to the hut I removed the rack and hucked some wicked eratics and surfed scree shutes!

Another time I used a BoB on a hut trip in Breakenridge, which worked well too.