Thread: Racing a Rize?

mtbr member

Racing a Rize?

Howdy y'all.
    I posted this in the XC forum as well.... I'm searching for a race bike that won't break the bank and was wondering what you think about a '08 Rize 3 as a potential candidate? Has anyone raced a Rize? How did you like it as a race rig? FWIW, this is a new bike at the LBS.

Currently, I ride a HT 29er as a CAT 2 and a SS in Virginia. I like my bike but my back is starting to bother me on rides over 30 miles. My ultimate goal for next season is to race/finish the Shenandoah 100. Ideally, my next bike has to be efficient and handle well. That's why a 26er seems a better fit. I had a GF HiFi Deluxe 29er and it was too "truckish". The Specialized Epic 29er that I test rode last month felt very similar to me. I've talked to several people about the Jet 9 and they all say good things. Unfortunately, there aren't any Niner dealerships near me to test ride the Jet.

Bikes I'm considering
    - Specialized Epic ('09 used demo)
    - Jet9 (built from my 29er components)
    - Scalpel 4 (Lg '08 new, but it's a little too big)
    - Anthem (can't find one and never ridden one but still interested)
    - Fuel (ehh, not too interested but if I found a great deal and it rode nice...maybe)

Thanks for your input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racing a Rize?-08-rize-3.jpg  

Last edited by ppfeifer; 09-01-2010 at 06:42 AM.

mtbr member

get the Rize

I bought a left over 2009 Rize 1 in May this year, I had a hard time pulling the trigger on such an expensive MTB but after purchasing it I love the bike. I have raced it in an XC
    race and didn't feel out of place at all. I also live in V.A. and plan on doing the SM 100 next year on this bike. I am doing 24 hours of Seven Springs this weekend. It is a perfect marathon bike IMO, the Rize 1 out of the box is just over 23.5lbs. I am not sure of the weight on the Rize 3 I know the 2010 Rz 2 weight around 25lbs.

If you want a Jet 9 there is a niner dealer where i live I can send you his info.

mtbr member
    I race my RZ in both XC and DH races. its very versatile. The bike is probably overkill for most XC courses though. If your just racing XC I'd go with a Scalpel or Fuel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you are CAT 2 ,a Scalpel would suit you.

mtbr member
    That's 2 Scalpel votes. I'm inclined to agree with you guys. The Rize is a nice looking bike, though. If you guys hear about a medium Scalpel at a store or in really good condition let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Get the Rize.

I have a 2009 Scalpel and a 2010 Rize and I race the Scalpel once a year and remember that it's not a good east coast race bike. If you're going to be on buffed out west coast stuff maybe. But for rocky technical stuff the Rize is going to let you sit a lot more a descend faster. And a sub 25lb build is easy to do with normal components so it's not like you are dragging a lot of extra weight around. Up here in CT I have seen more people racing Rizes than Scalpels this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm about to leave to a race with my Rize )) But it's more a marathon race...

Weekend Warrior
    Jul 2008
    I'm going to suggest the Scalpel as well. As a Cat 2 racer you're in pretty good shape and will benefit from all of the high points of the Scalpel. It will be significantly lighter than the Rize (I'm thinking the 3 is somewhere between 26-27lbs?) while still being softer than a hardtail. I've had no trouble bombing descents with my Scalpel, and it makes climbing a breeze.

The Rize would be a great marathon bike, so consider it for your 100 mile race. For shorter races (I'm thinking 30 miles and under) stick with the Scalpel. No other bike on the market can compete with it.
    "Single speed is the new black. Wait, black is the old black... Actually, single speed really isn't new at all."
    -HP

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliyg
    I'm about to leave to a race with my Rize )) But it's more a marathon race...
    how did the race go? or is it still coming up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have ridden the sm100 the last two years and completed in under 10 hours each time. The extra down hill capability of the rize will not do you much good unless you are lucky enough to get in a line up of serious gravity guys. They started 650 people this year and you will need to be around 9 hours and start fast to get to fast downhillers. The down hills are generally slow as there is always one roadie clogging up the trail on the down until you get to later down hills. The trail has 50% fire roads. The down hill time difference is minimal. The main key is fast rolling on the flats and fast climbing. Downs are too technical for crazy speed and my Scalpel handled them very well the few I got to rip down.

I have ridden a rush and a scalpel and both handle similarly and are very fast on the flats and climbs. I recommend 2.1 Maxxis ignitor or other fast rolling tires that also have grip.The trails get very loose with that many bikes. The scapel is a glorified hard tail and you need to ride it locked out because of the springy leaf spring rear end except for dedicated down hills.

If you have back issues the rize will do well for you. I have ridden a 24 lb one a couple of times and it is very good compromise if you can afford the high dollar carbon and components. Fast and comfortable. The rize 3 you mention is likely a 26 lb bike.

Too bad they did away with the carbon rush it was ideal for the east coast ultra races. I loved the speed and climbing efficiency of the scalpel this year and highly recommend it if your back can take it. My 2008 carbon scalpel weighs in at a little under 25 lbs with 2008 components that can take the beatling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I do XC races and 8 hour solos on my Rize and it has served me well. It's also a great bike for trail riding just for fun, especially technical stuff, so it adds to the versatility of the machine.