mtbr member

Quick release not holding

The quick release on my 2010 flash 1 aluminum will not hold the wheel in the dropouts. The Q/R has been significantly tightened and I have experimented with less tension as well. The wheel never completely falls out but moves just enough to cause the brakes to drag and I also believe its the source of creaking and cracking noises under hard pedaling. Has anyone else had this issue?

LA CHÈVRE
    It needs to be tightened hard but not too hard... definitly not so hard that the lever wont reach it's full throw. What QR is it? Or what rear hub? I can't say I have ever had this problem even with cheap OEM QR...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

TXTony
    I had this issue on another bike..ended up being a loose hub..front wheel..thought it was the QR at first..I had to adjust the front hub..problem solved..not sure if that is the issue your experiencing though.

mtbr member
    It is the stock Cannondale Q/R with a Sun Ringle Dirty Flea hub.......what adjustments can be made to the hub?

TXTony
    Not sure about Sun Ringle...mine was a Chris King..I had to stop by the shop and use a special tool they have that you have to use on Cris King Hubs..basically the end cap on the hub was loose which was allowing play in the hub..when it was on the bike and the skewer was secured the wheel had a little play in it..like it was loose...

I took the front wheel off..removed the skewer and and holding both sides of the hub I was able to move it in and out...not much..but enough that the wheel felt loose when I locked it back down on the fork..The King hubs have a end cap that was loose and after I tightened that back up..problem solved..

Not sure about Ringle though since the Kings use a proprietary tool...was pretty simple though after I found the instructions on the King site to do it