mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Quick Release for Lefty?

Sorry if this is obvious, but I'm new to mtb (been riding road). Just bought a used Rush 3000 and didn't focus on the fact that removing the front wheel requires an allen wrench. Also seems like I need to remove the brake assembly from the fork in order to remove the wheel. Since I transport my bike in my car's back seat, this is sort of a pain.

Any quick release mechanisms available for the Lefty? Also, do I need to remove the brake assembly to remove the wheel?

mtbr member
    No and Yes .

No quick releases for the Lefty and you have to remove or swivel the brake caliper
    out of the way to remove the wheel first .

Always do the brake first and the axel second or you will never get the caliper off .

First time Lefty owners questioning the "hardship" of wheel removal is like buying
    a new car and complaining about where the button for the air conditioning is compared to you old car .
    After you use it a coulple hundred times , it's location is second nature .

Same with Lefty wheel removal
    Enjoy your new bike/Lefty

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, you could always weld an allen key permanently to the axle bolt.... but you'll still need to undo the caliper first. Weld allen keys to the caliper mounted bolts too? Well, taking a normal allen key and undoing three bolts is not so bad after all...

Does the bike fit in the car if you only take the rear wheel off and or the saddle but leave the front wheel on?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Well, you could always weld an allen key permanently to the axle bolt.... but you'll still need to undo the caliper first. Weld allen keys to the caliper mounted bolts too? Well, taking a normal allen key and undoing three bolts is not so bad after all...

Does the bike fit in the car if you only take the rear wheel off and or the saddle but leave the front wheel on?
    Will have to check on the rear wheel. Does that require removing the caliper also?
    Welding the allen wrench is a bit extreme--I think the part I like the least is the removal of the caliper, since that required the most work to put back on.
    Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    No and Yes .

No quick releases for the Lefty and you have to remove or swivel the brake caliper
    out of the way to remove the wheel first .

Always do the brake first and the axel second or you will never get the caliper off .

First time Lefty owners questioning the "hardship" of wheel removal is like buying
    a new car and complaining about where the button for the air conditioning is compared to you old car .
    After you use it a coulple hundred times , it's location is second nature .

Same with Lefty wheel removal
    Enjoy your new bike/Lefty
    Thanks ccaddy--just looking for an easier way, since I will be transporting the bike quite often. I take it the caliper removal is unique to Lefties, since the wheel comes off to the side as opposed to straight down on a standard fork? This may be a dealbreaker for me, but I'll try it for a while before giving up. Part of the problem, I suppose, is I'm used to the ease of QR on my road bike.
    I hope your analogy to the a/c button is accurate, since otherwise I like the bike.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by NRRider
    Will have to check on the rear wheel. Does that require removing the caliper also?
    Welding the allen wrench is a bit extreme--I think the part I like the least is the removal of the caliper, since that required the most work to put back on.
    Thanks for your help.
    The rear wheel is easier to take off: just flip the QR lever open and slide down the wheel, no need to touch the caliper. just put it back carefully, making sure you slide it back with the brake rotor between the brake pads.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

El Pollo Diablo
    Quote Originally Posted by NRRider
    This may be a dealbreaker for me, but I'll try it for a while before giving up.
    Wow.
    I doubt it's just me, but I think you're blowing this waaaaay out of proportion.
    Really, dealing with the 'hardship' of lefty ownership is not bad at all.

mtbr member
    If all else fails you can buy a headset that reduces down to 1-1/8" and use any kind of fork you want to (with a new front wheel and QR). If you do this please use whatever fork you choose for about 10 or 15 rides and then put the lefty on and then you'll understand why it's worth the little effort required to remove the wheel. Then you can sell your new fork and wheel on ebay and some Trek or Giant rider will buy it. Don't forget that when you flat up front you don't need to remove the wheel to change it. Oh, if you squeeze your brake lever while the wheel is off, be sure use something like a screwdriver that is clean to reach in the caliper to spread the pads back away so that you can get your caliper back over the rotor and not have a rubbing sound while riding (this is true for all hydrolic disc brake equiped bikes).

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rumshcawheely
    If all else fails you can buy a headset that reduces down to 1-1/8" and use any kind of fork you want to (with a new front wheel and QR). If you do this please use whatever fork you choose for about 10 or 15 rides and then put the lefty on and then you'll understand why it's worth the little effort required to remove the wheel. Then you can sell your new fork and wheel on ebay and some Trek or Giant rider will buy it. Don't forget that when you flat up front you don't need to remove the wheel to change it. Oh, if you squeeze your brake lever while the wheel is off, be sure use something like a screwdriver that is clean to reach in the caliper to spread the pads back away so that you can get your caliper back over the rotor and not have a rubbing sound while riding (this is true for all hydrolic disc brake equiped bikes).
    Definitely want to be careful there with the brakes. I just installed Juicy carbon's and they came with a trick plastic "key" that you pop into the caliper when the wheels are removed. Ive seen other guys use various homemade wedges.But the Avid key thing works awesome.
    CDT

El Pollo Diablo
    chunk of cardboard, or a library/local supermarket card, whichever I have handy at the time, no need for a fancy key!

don't discount non-lefty onepointfive forks, I've got a sherman breakout that I keep around on the off chance that I manage to break my lefty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for all the responses. I'll give the rear wheel approach a try and see if that works. If not I'll try the front wheel for a while to see if it becomes easier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ther is a multitool that fit in the steraring tube, this one:

this way you always have an allen wrench with you, it that was a problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar

where do you get that multi tool?? looks cool and I think I want one
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Cdale dealers have them , they will fit only in the empty steering tube on a Lefty equipped bike. Of course
    Mendon has them as do a few sellers on ebay. MSRP is about $40 I think...Pretty handy and trick too !
    CDT

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar

And Baltazar comes in with the answer of the week! That's funny man!!