the Jerc

Questions about revalving lefty DLR2...

Hi, I had the spring replaced in my lefty on a Rush 600 and didn't get it revalved. Is this something my LBS can do? Will it make a big difference? I'm trying to figure out if this is something really complicated to do and if he needs parts and stuff. We have the tools on base in our "bike shop" but I've never opened the lefty before. I'm sending the shock to get tuned and I'd like to get the front knocked out as well.
    Mendoncyclesmith, is this something you can handle for me? Would you be able to give me some advice on getting the lefty off? I'm stationed in Germany, currently in Italy with a bike I bought in San Francisco.
    Merc (the jerk)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Exactly what is "revalving"? Does this refer to changing the shim stack?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    What exactly is it that you need to change in terms of ride characteristics?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

the Jerc
    It does refer to changing the shim stack. I really have nothing to compare it to, I really don't know if I need to change anything specifically. I changed the spring and read that the shock should be further tuned by rearranging the shim stack. I thought what I had was "wrong" and wanted to get it set up "right", hoping this would somehow improve performance overall. Last night I actually opened my lefty manual and found that the shim stack is the same for the soft and standard spring.
    Mendoncyclesmith, thanks for taking time to respond to a clueless rider. Unless there is a way to change the shock for a 145 lb. rider vs a 160 lb rider, I'll just leave it alone. However, does your shop do annual servicing? I'm taking off for a bit and I'd like to take advantage of the down time.

Are you talking to me?

Mendon does great work.

The people that have had work done on forks have raved about his work, pricing, and turn around times.

ps, hi, craig, long time.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you have only changed from, say, a blue to green negative spring, the revalve/tuning may not make much difference. It will improve the ride, but not neccessarily a lot.

If you have had a more significat change in negative spring (indicating that you are using a much lower or higher pressure than the fork is tuned for) then it will make more difference.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Actually, very little revalve work happens any more. They have installed a broad range adjustment to the rebound, and often just a change of oil viscosity is sufficient to get the desired results, if there is a problem with regards to rebound speed adjustment range. Compression shims have settled into a standard setting as well. The last time that Cannondale really offered lots of shim tuning was on the 5 position Headshock cartridges. They had shim kit's available, diffferent diameters, and thicknesses. I would have to say, if your fork feels good, and you can't put your finger on what it is you'd like to change, you are in the happy spot for the time being! I do offer all sorts of services, and the mods here allow me some leeway in terms of that, but I, and they, would ask that if you need info on that, to please take it to PM's, I offer a ton of free advice, so it's a balance that needs to be carefully managed

Hey Damion, how's things on your end??
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com