mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Question: Rockshox on C'dale with 1.5" Headtube

I sold my real nice C'dale Rush 26er, and got a 2014 C'dale Trail SL Single Speed 29er! I love the 29er, and so far am enjoying the SS aspect. As bad as I hate to admit it, I am not a youngster anymore, and the rigid front fork is a little rough for me. I also don't know about going down 20 foot rocky drops with the rigid fork.

So I am looking to get a Rockshox fork for it. Either a Reba or Rekon Gold, not sure which. Anyway, I can get the fork on-line for cheaper than retail, but they all have 1 1/8inch steer tubes. Am I going to have to order a new fork with a specific 1.5inch steer tube, or will the fork with 1 1/8inch steer tube work? I am not much of a mechanic, so I am not sure how it works.

I am sure y'all get my situation, so any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks. . .

Yes, that's fonetic
    The search function is your friend. This will school you on what you need and what's available.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Kind of curious as to why you would purchase a SS w/ Solid fork if your intentions are going down 20ft rocky drops....?
    Not that it can't be done...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the link! YES! I tried the search function, but when ya don't know what your talking about, it's hard to know what to search for. I tried a few searches, and got 20 gazillion threads that had nothing to do with my question. Thanks for the link.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Most of the trails around Dallas are fairly tame. But a few trails around have some pretty good drops, with nothing but rocks. I do ride these trails, and have to go down these drops on occasion. My main hobby is Ironman, but I like to get out on the trails. So, inexperience has a lot to do with equipment choice. Not only that, the rigid fork is the fork the bike came with. I also have to say, the off road riding is a lot harder than any 140.6 race I've ever done! ! !

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Well if Cannondale has a 1.5" 29" fork on other Trail versions it should be available for purchase. However, you may only find them as custom pieces... You can contact your LBS to see if they can source one out for you direct from manufacturer that way it may be an easier replacement.
    Otherwise, you may be looking at a different headset and stem.
    You do however may want to try and stay close to factory spec'd pieces, that way it does not throw off the geometry of the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You need a reducer headset. Try a Cane Creek Double XC II. I'm running the flush version of that on my 26er cannondale with a standard 1-1/8th inch fork steerer tube.

Willing to bet that the axle to crown height on the rigid fork is close to a either that of an 80-100mm travel 29er fork so of course you would replace the fork with one of those. The actual a2c number should be available either from cdale or some one else who has one. I don't know what it is. This will give you front suspension and keep the geo numbers close.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What headset would you use for a tappered steerer 1.5 to 1 1/8? I have a caffeine f2 29ee and recently bought a fox fork tappered. But the steerer tube is only 7". Trying to find a flush mount headset.

Icebiker
    Agree with Energetik...can get a reducer headset....or, you can get a headtube reducer and install a 1 1/8' headset/fork..

Problem Solvers