mtbr member

question regarding my p600

i picked up a prophet 600 this past saturday. i have rode it twice now on the trails and i have question/concern. it doesn't seem to hold my line. not really sure what it is but when i upgraded my bike from my trek 3700 i thought i would improve my ride even more.

so my questions do i just need to take some time to get use the the new bike? here is what i am thinking. the tires on the bike suck in anything loose so i am going to put on my kenda kinetics on the bike which always hook up. also the bars on this bike are like 3" wider than what was on my old bike. so i was thinking of cutting them down. what do you guys think the problem is?

i can't go as fast i use to because i do not feel as stable on the bike as i did my old one.

p.s i have it on the xc setting

LA CHÈVRE
    Questions: are your tires pressure too high? too low? Also, are your fork and shock set right for your weight? Also, this should be checked before you buy but, we never know... is the bike the right size for you?

It can take some time to get used to a new bike especially when switching from very different bikes as you just did. Hardtail vs. All-Mountain 140mm travel FS... pretty dramatic for a change. They have very different geometries, feel, handling, and so on. Maybe you tire switch could be a good idea but I'd wait before you decide to cut the bars and make other changes. I always go a bit easy the first few rides I have a new bike, learn to feel the bike, it's geometry, limits, cornering ability, weight distribution and things like that...

Give the bike and yourself some time together to get to know each other better, chances are you'll fall in a passionate and loving relationship and spend years together.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    dan,
    thanks for the input. i thought maybe it would take some time to get use to the new bike. i guess i will wait for a couple more rides before going crazy but i do think i am going to put the new tires on. the current ones just do not seem to do well for in anything loose at all. i was riding down a quad path the other day and it was old coal pits and i was going like 12mph and then all of a sudden i almost lost total control of the bike(i gained control of the bike) but i thought for sure i was going down

yeah bike fits ok was checked at the bike shop and tire pressure is what is suggested on the tire. also all shock setting were adjusted at the bike shop but i am going to adjust them a little more to my prefrence.

another thing that i thought might be a little dif is the wheel base is longer on this bike than the other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    perhaps what you may be experiencing is what many describe as the lefty's steering feeling "twitchy." this is actually because the steering on the lefty is much more precise than on other forks. Think of it this way: when you corner on a normal fork, you get a small amount of flex in the fork due to one side compressing more than the other. The lefty eliminates this flex, resulting in very precise steering. this is something that you will get used to, and soon be able to take advantage of.
    of course that is just a guess of the problem. i could be (and probably am) horribly wrong.

LA CHÈVRE
    Yes, but longer wheelbases tend to make bikes more stable, not less. The head angle is probably slacker too unless you have put a long fork on your Trek, it also makes a more stable ride usually.

One other thing to consider, the Prophet with it's 140mm of travel at both wheels tends to make you feel like you're going slower than you really are since it doesn't shake and rattles as much as a hardtail, you can go much faster without being beaten up by the trails... but my guess is, with tires that are good for your trails and your tastes, you'll find the Prophet much more stable than the old bike very soon. Keep us posted after a few more rides.

LA CHÈVRE
    Don't be so hard on yourself Greg, the Lefty's stiffness/precision theory is very true. Not only can we take advantage of it after we get used to it, it becomes almost impossible to ride many conventionnal forks afterwards.

Ex-Clydesdale
    You'll get used to it. I was riding my Trek 6500 (my SuperV was out of commission for a while) before moving to the Prophet, and I had similar feelings. Several rides later, I'm really settling into the Prophet's ride, and I'm finding myself braking less and less on the downhill's, and carving the singletrack more and more. The Lefty is very stiff, and it takes a little getting used to. The Maxxis HighRollers are pretty weird... one ride it seems they stink at cornering because they let go too unpredictably, the next ride they bite hard... jury's still out on that one. One thing's for sure, they're porky, and they'll make you wonder why the flat section on your ride all of a sudden feels like a climb.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

LA CHÈVRE
    The Prophet 600 has the IRC Trailbear tires, not sure if they are as bad as the horrible High Rollers...

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The Prophet 600 has the IRC Trailbear tires, not sure if they are as bad as the horrible High Rollers...
    Forgot about that. That's what I get for posting while working.

What tires are you running Dan? How do they compare to the SlowRollers?
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    Forgot about that. That's what I get for posting while working.

What tires are you running Dan? How do they compare to the SlowRollers?
    LOL, I'm at work too, but the more boring the job is, the more I post and lose my time on the web... So if you look at my post count, yes, my job is boring...

I'm using Hutchinson Bulldog Tubeless Light 2.1 and so far, I really like them but it could depend on where you ride and how you ride. Some people don't like cornering with them as the side knobs don't go very far down the sides but I haven't had any problems. What's great about them is they are very light (665 grams claimed but weight freaks have confirmed they are about that), they roll fast and they are still grippy. If you like big tires, you're probably better off with something else tough, but they have a bit bigger volume than a Python. Comparing them to the High Rollers... it's like night and day...

I have two friends with Prophets too and they both use Spider UST, heavier than the Bulldogs with probably more rolling resistance but way better than the Maxxis, they seem very happy with them.

mtbr member
    yeah it has the irc trailbears on it, i think i am going to pur on the kenda kinetics i had bought for my trek and only rode them 2 times so they are like brand new. they are the stick e compound. worked great on my trek so i will see how they work of the prophet