mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Question: OEM FSA Afterburner BB30 w/ carbon spider

Anyone use the OEM FSA Afterburner 44/32/22 BB30 crankset with the carbon spider? They are standard on a few bikes the last year or two, mostly Cannondales. Every so often I see one on Ebay.

I was wondering about the reliability of them, ease of obtaining replacement parts like chainrings etc.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    Anyone use the OEM FSA Afterburner 44/32/22 BB30 crankset with the carbon spider? They are standard on a few bikes the last year or two, mostly Cannondales. Every so often I see one on Ebay.

I was wondering about the reliability of them, ease of obtaining replacement parts like chainrings etc.
    Can you post a link to one? I have the FSA afterburner bb30. The standard one, no carbon. I shattered my granny ring and it was a direct swap for an extra one I had on an old shimano (LX I think) crankset that I had laying around. I think as long as the BCD is the same one should fit, but of course it seems theres always just a tiny bit more to it.....
    Ouch

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    http://www.cannondale-parts.de/WebRo...A/DSCN4359.JPG

http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epage...fsagcabb30-175

It looks like the FSA Afterburner 386 but has the carbon spider. It was OEM on bikes like the 2010 29er 1.

Sweater
    Actually it looks like the standard triple afterburner with a carbon spider. The 386 has a 3 bolt spider pattern. I still think it uses the same rings. Also is there a reason you are looking at this one over the standard version? For the looks or to save weight? I think the weight savings is only 15g or so. Good luck, I wish there were more BB30 options too, at least MTB options under $500....
    Ouch

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro
    Actually it looks like the standard triple afterburner with a carbon spider. The 386 has a 3 bolt spider pattern. I still think it uses the same rings. Also is there a reason you are looking at this one over the standard version? For the looks or to save weight? I think the weight savings is only 15g or so. Good luck, I wish there were more BB30 options too, at least MTB options under $500....
    I'm looking for a BB30 crankset for a new 29er Cannondale frame that I recently purchased. I have been using one of the Hollowtech II adapters for my current 29er. With the new frame I want to run a BB30. Those cranksets can can be pretty inexpensive on Ebay. Under 200.

The Shimano setup I have,running an SLX crankset with the resin adapters has been flawless.

mtbr member
    One came stock on my 29er, I took it off in favor of a Hollowgram with XX rings.

I rode it a few times before taking it off. It was solid, nice and stiff. BB30 plus the super wide arms made a really stiff and responsive crank. It isnt the lightest crank out there, but at 812g without bearings its respectable.

Drive side:

Non-Drive Arm:

Just noticed I left the der. height sticker on for the first ride.

DSC01123

Sweater
    I'm looking for a BB30 crankset for a new 29er Cannondale frame that I recently purchased. I have been using one of the Hollowtech II adapters for my current 29er. With the new frame I want to run a BB30. Those cranksets can can be pretty inexpensive on Ebay. Under 200.

The Shimano setup I have,running an SLX crankset with the resin adapters has been flawless.
    I am sorry, I meant the standard afterburner cranks vs the ones with the carbon spider both in BB30.
    Ouch

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    One came stock on my 29er, I took it off in favor of a Hollowgram with XX rings.

I rode it a few times before taking it off. It was solid, nice and stiff. BB30 plus the super wide arms made a really stiff and responsive crank. It isnt the lightest crank out there, but at 812g without bearings its respectable.
    Which 29er model had the black version like yours?

I really don't mind a little extra weight as long as it means that the arms are super stiff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro
    I am sorry, I meant the standard afterburner cranks vs the ones with the carbon spider both in BB30.
    I understand. I see quite a few of them being unloaded on Ebay by liquidators and wanted to make sure that there was not a problem with their design or if people had been having issues with them. Only thing I could find is that a couple people had problems with the rings wearing down quickly. Another had an issue with chainsuck on one of the earlier models.

mtbr member
    Which 29er model had the black version like yours?

I really don't mind a little extra weight as long as it means that the arms are super stiff.
    Theres an album in my signature, its the '10 Aluminum 29er 1

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Theres an album in my signature, its the '10 Aluminum 29er 1
    That's the same frame I'll be building up.

I think most of the parts from my 2009 29er 2 will transfer over easily, with the exception of the cable routing.

mtbr member

Good job!

I have the afterburner 386 w/ carbon spider. It came with my 2010 scalpel 2. It has been solid. No chain suck or abnormal ware. I am 200 lbs and notice no flex.