mtbr member
    Oct 2009

question for any 2011 jekyll carbon owners

I'm changing my carbon 2 from 3x10 to 2x10. After looking closer at the front derailleur, I realize I have to get a new direct mount derailleur for a 39t chainring. Based on what I can tell, it's a low direct bottom pull. I'm also guessing it's S3 and not S1, but that is just a guess. Does anyone know if it's S3 or S1? Still waiting for an email from cannondale.

mtbr member
    its S3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

How do you use your DYAD shock?

Here will be another question to all Jekyll 2011 owners (I've not yet enough posts to this forum to have rights to start a new topic).

I'll get my Jekyll soon and I'm interested in how do you use the rear shock? If you are riding on a flat terrain - maybe with some very short ascends and descends - are you typically using "flow" or "elevate" mode? Does it depend on if the terrain is technical or not?

I guess the 90 mm elevate mode would not be good on flat or even on slightly ascending terrain if there are lot of big stones and roots on the trail (like we often have here in Southern Finland). That's why I'm a little bit concerned about the claim
    "Even on the flat Flow mode was just too wallowy. "
    picked up from singletrackworld.com.

The trails I'm riding have not big differences in altitude, but there are many very steep and short ascends (and also descends of course). For example, if you've just ridden a short downhill (in flow mode of course), and then you'll see a cliff with slope of 35 degrees and height of 10 meters in the front of you, will you switch to elevate mode? And if there's a section like "3 meters up - 3 m down - 5 m flat - 4 m up - 3 m down - 10 m flat - 2 m up - ... etc..." are you using flow or elevate mode - or switching all the time between the two modes?

I'm soon able to test by myself what's the proper way to use the shock but it would be nice to hear your experiences.

mtbr member
    Wallowy? I don't think so! This bike is bad ass - A climb of 10 meters at 35%, ya elevate mode. Short up down up down - leave in flow mode. The Jekyll climbs 35% grades very well and bombs down the other side too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by guvna View Post
    Wallowy? I don't think so! This bike is bad ass - A climb of 10 meters at 35%, ya elevate mode. Short up down up down - leave in flow mode. The Jekyll climbs 35% grades very well and bombs down the other side too!
    Thanks for the answer. This calms my mind.

In fact I was talking about 35 degrees but 35% is better example. 35 degrees would be 70% which maybe isn't within my abilities if the height is 10 meters...

By the way, the article in singletrackworld.com was very positive indeed, and was praising new Jekyll's suspension system. It just gave me an insight that flow mode would be good only in downhill sections (which seems not to be true, fortunately).

26er
    90mm elevate mode is like climbing on an xc bike and provides enought travel for those roots and rocks on most trails. I always put it in elevate mode for all climbs, but on flats unless I am hammering or on the road I leave it in flow mode.

Not sure which review mentioned that the lever for the travel requires you to take your hand off the bar, but this is not true. If you can shift with a thumb you can change travel modes rapidly.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail