Maniac
    Jan 2006

Query Carbon Rush swing arm???? Any advice please!

I have just pcked up a new 2008 Carbon Rush 2, and noticed that the clearence from the swing frame seat stay and seat tube on the frame in uneven. The distance on the non drive side is 1-2mm and 4-5mm clearence on the drive side. The clearence from the chain stays and seat tube is even on both sides.

Is this exceptable? and should this be the standard I should expect from a top line frame? Does this effect the performence, I'm concerned that with only minor flex the swing arm could contact the frame seat tube.

Any else have experience with this? and what has been others experience dealing with Cannondale.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Call your LBS. It is unusual. They should first check if they can fix it, and if they can't, they should return the frame and you should get a new one.

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    Thanks! that's what I thought and I intended to take it up with my LBS where I purchased the bike. Just wanted some background advice if others had simular experience and what outcome I might expect. Better armed with as much knowledge as possible before I start the process.

Will post what happens

Thanks

mnt bike laws of physics
    From my experience, it is NOT unusual at all. There were posts from Rush and Prophet owners, all the same cenerio as your and mine.
    There is not a perfect alignment betwenn the swingarm and the frame and most of the Prophets and Rushs that I have seem - the swingarm pivots are such that the rear wheel is to the right a little.
    It would be super cool if those you put the frames together could get it right enough so that it would not be visually noticable at least, but Cdale is not the only one. I checked my GT I-Drive frame and it is off as well.
    Cdale may swear up and down that their frames are perfectly aligned, but I have spent many years dealing with alignment issues in my field, and I know when something is not aligned.
    I have never built a bicycle frame, but from what I am seeing, it must be very difficult to build a full suspension frame so that the swingarm is aligned with the main frame.
    My first Carbon Rush frame was aligned but the seattube inner diameter was too large. My next frame's seattube diameter was on, but the swingarm was way out. In fact the swingarm insert that is molded into the carbon mainframe was offset to the right. I settled on the 3rd frame which is not aligned, but it wasn't too bad.
    As a fix, when I put the rear wheel in the dropouts, I twist it so that the right is to the rear and the left side on the wheel is to the front of the dropouts. I also, dished the wheel to the left. Now the wheel is aligned when the travel is fully extended at least.

To be fair, as I have said time and time again, this is by far the best mountain bike I have ever had in the 13 years I have been riding. My swingarm has rubbed up against the seat tube, but it is in no way a problem and don't expect it to become one. If there wasn't a visual clue as to the imperfection of your frame, you would have never noticed it on the trail. It is my own nature that I seek for excellence that I strive for it in my endevours. That includes the sport of mountain biking so naturally I will take the time to create a bicycle that is excellent. To that end, there are none better the the Carbon Rush. There may be equal but none better for me at least.

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for your experience, BTW I'm totally happy with the perfromance of the Carbon Rush for a 110mm travel bike that's this light and plush and climbs very well. I can compare to a TITUS R100X that I raced for 1 1/2 season's and IMO the rush gives much more confidence and I don't believe loses anything on the tight twisty single track.
    This is my third Cannondale after moving away for the brief time to the TITUS after all the great reviews.
    One thing all my lefty forks get tank slap around 30km/h.