mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Purchase question: 2007 Scalpel w/new 2008 fame, or 2009

Hi, I'm finding that I'm unable to make a decision based on the facts as I know them and am hoping some of you with opinions might shed some new light to help me decide. I'm deciding between two relatively lightly used Scalpels. Does an obvious choice stand out to you? Thanks a ton! -Six

Option 1 $1900
    Brand new 2009 Scalpel 3 frame/fork with lightly used 2007 Scalpel 2 (mostly XTR & XT) components; the original 2007 frame, fork, and rear cassette were replaced by Cannondale due to a frame issue. All non-replaced 2007 components are very lightly used, bike was never raced and was ridden for less than 300 miles - pretty much sat after purchase. The frame/fork/cassette have virtually zero miles on them. $1900 shipped to my door from out of state. Bike is black and has the look I like. Aluminum 2009 Scalpel 3 frame/fork that are brand new.

Component specs:
    http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/Pr...7VP2-Scalpel-2

And has this frame and fork:
    http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/Pr...9VP3-Scalpel-3

Option 2: $2300
    2009 Scalpel 2 carbon, raced by a relatively lightweight bikestore employee I know who took very good care of the bike, maintained the fork/bottom bracket, etc. $2300 out the door, purchased from a local bike shop that I like. Bike is white and looks OK, with carbon frame. 400 miles, and I trust his stated miles and the care he took of it. Plus I'd have the benefit of buying from a local store and any long term goodwill that comes from that.

This bike:
    http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/Pr...9VP2-Scalpel-2
    Last edited by Sixxty; 08-12-2010 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Actually, Option 1 has the original 2007 fork - it was rebuilt by Cannondale during the frame replacement.

Is there an obvious better choice, if you trust that both are in good shape? Is option 2 a screaming good deal or average? I appreciate your input!

Tool
    I would go with option 2. The 2009 Scalpel 2 would have retailed for around $4k, so with 400 miles and good care by someone with whom you're familiar, that seems at least a reasonable deal. There's a lot of value in being able to physically inspect the bike prior to purchase, too.

Give the rear triangle a good look over, paying particular attention to the bonds between the alloy and carbon. Let the air out of the shock and flex the rear suspension while you examine each bond - if there is a bond failure you'll see some movement (a slight gap may oepn) - a healthy bike will have zero movement between the carbon and alloy at the bonds.

I never got to try an aluminum Scalpel, but I can tell you the carbon was pure delight.

Good luck - post a pic once you make a purchase!

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.