Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Prototype of the Scalpel successsor spotted in Houffalize

On the Belgium MTB forum, people claim to have seen the prototype of the new Scalpel at the Cannondale booth in Houffalize. It had a front triangle in aluminum (similar to the Rush) but a carbon rear triangle. The suspension concept is similar to the Scott Spark but based on flexing seatstays. The final bike will be a full carbon one and will be presented at the World Cup in Offenburg. So far no pics.
    As for the riders: only Kessiakoff was riding the 6/13 Scalpel in Houffalize. Paulissen & co were riding the alu Scalpel.

Kayba

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm not so sure the 6/13 Scalpel is much lighter, it's just wilder IMO. Alu Scalpels can be made pretty light...

Can't wait to see the new bike even though it seems it wont be too surprising, we already knew it would still use flexing stays and it's only logical that it will be a carbon frame... I just hope it wont do like most new bikes from Cannondale do to me, I always want to get one!

EDIT: Kayba, any link to that forum thread? Is it in french or in flemish?
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 04-24-2007 at 01:52 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Here you go. It's in flemish.
    Kayba

http://forum.mountainbike.be/viewtopic.php?t=34899

mtbr member
    i would think seeing it soon is probably a safe bet. since FK was the only one riding a six13(i assume it was his bike from last year), it seems c-dale did not want to go through the hassle of making the other 3 riders a custom six13 scalpel since they will be riding new bikes soon.

I will probably stick to my taurine for a while though. it is 19.5 right now with pretty much stock parts.

btw, the rush carbon team is lighter than the scott spark 10 only the scott sprak limited is slightly ligher and the Rush still has it beat since it has a suspension that is much more active under braking
    one pedal stroke at a time

mtbr member

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayba
    oh, that looks pretty nice.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

LA CHÈVRE
    They had to put the trash bag right there of course...

According to the article, Cannondale says it's only a prototype out of many different but the fact that they had it in the pits at Houffalize gives the impression that it's the closest to the next XC race bike from Cannondale. Looks like the only change from the Scalpel is the seatstays and shock layout. It still has the flexing chainstays. Looks close to what we already knew...

mtbr member
    anyone want to buy a taurine 19lbs size large
    one pedal stroke at a time

mtbr member
    I wonder if Cannondale has replaced the pivot points between the chain- and the seatstays by flexing carbon. Given the small amount of travel that should be feasible (as on the Trek fuel).
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    it's nearly perfect!
    i love cannondale!!!!!!!!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayba
    I wonder if Cannondale has replaced the pivot points between the chain- and the seatstays by flexing carbon. Given the small amount of travel that should be feasible (as on the Trek fuel).
    Kayba
    Possible, the seatstays look very small, I wonder if they are intended to flex. But that damn bag in front of the bike, couldn't the guy snap the picture from 3' to his left?

LA CHÈVRE
    Another bike I'll want...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I think the bag has been strategically placed to lend some lusty drama and temptation to the photo.
    Looks like the rear triangle is so flexy smooth, a seat is obsolete.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinny
    I think the bag has been strategically placed to lend some lusty drama and temptation to the photo.
    Looks like the rear triangle is so flexy smooth, a seat is obsolete.
    ...you ride with a seat?
    maybe i'm weird?

N.T
    mtbr member
    What if I`d say that I have ridden a bike like that

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by N.T
    What if I`d say that I have ridden a bike like that
    A bike with no saddle and no shock?

N.T
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    A bike with no saddle and no shock?
    Ment the frame

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by N.T
    Ment the frame
    I knew what you meant, I guess I should have put a after my joke/reply.

To my knowledge though, there are no frames in existence (except the Cannondale prototypes) with that shock layout AND chainstays that flex in the middle point. In mid 2007, almost* all viable shock layouts, single pivots/faux-bars/horst/vpp options have been tried, it's all in refining them and pushing them further.

Sure we have all seen bikes with shocks under the top tube activated by a swing-link pushed by the seatstays but it's an evolution of the Scalpel's already excellent design. I'm sure they will have found a way to make it a bit lighter and stiffer than the Scalpel, perhaps with a nice, controlled, efficient, racy travel stroke... We will have to ride the bike to know.

* 'almost' doesn't mean 'every'

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well i think....

after lookin at the prototype photo of the scalp.... i think the current scalpel look much more sexy than the prototype one... on top of the the linkage looks like Jamis or Santa Cruz or K2.... just looks like normal bike.....compare to the current scalp
    SCALPEL 900 ( Sobe Rep)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

more travel

Word is 100mm travel. I thought 1/2 the attraction of the Scalpel was its short travel. What would folks think of having more travel on this bike? Would it not add to the weight or bob?

LA CHÈVRE
    We are not in 1997 anymore, 100mm is still a short travel bike and I'm sure can be made lighter, stiffer and bob free with today's tech and knowledge. Even with it's limited travel, the Scalpel bobbed a bit without platform shocks when it was introduced...

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    We are not in 1997 anymore, 100mm is still a short travel bike and I'm sure can be made lighter, stiffer and bob free with today's tech and knowledge......
    Still , with a rear suspension , you are bound to loose energy in a way or another , no matter what design.
    The very short travel of the Scalpel WAS appealing to me too......
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

LA CHÈVRE
    If it's more or as much stiff and light as the current design, just do as sponsored pros that are required by contract to ride FS bikes in races, set it stiffer so you'll limit the travel to a shorter value.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stuttsdc
    Word is 100mm travel. I thought 1/2 the attraction of the Scalpel was its short travel. What would folks think of having more travel on this bike? Would it not add to the weight or bob?
    I don't know, that would put it really close to the Rush in terms of travel... I'm sure it'll have a racing geometry so it's ok tough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Idea! revolutionary?

...maybe the bag has been strategically placed to mask the "no-pivot" between the chain and the upper stays by another (one more than in the Scalpel) flexing carbon part. They said it will be revolutionary, isn't it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast