Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Older & Slower

Pros & Cons of 2011 Flash Carbon 29er??

My riding focus has changed from full suspension MTB...to road...to ordering a 2011 Flash Carbon 29er...

I've gotten to the point where I just want an XC race MTB that was fast & efficient like my road bike (2010 Cannondale Six Carbon 5)...My 2009 Giant Anthem X just feels too squishy now...

Oh yeah...I've NEVER ridden a 29er...I went with the 29er, because a lot of people said to go 29er if I was going to a hardtail...

Is this the dumbest thing you've ever heard of?...What will I like?...What will I dislike?

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher
    M...I went with the 29er, because a lot of people said to go 29er if I was going to a hardtail...
    From what i read on the interweb is everybody's craze is to jump of bridges , the highest , the better. Everybody's doin' it , you should too !

29ers handles like anchor boat.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    It may feel like driving a bus at first relative to a 26", but it's a sweet bike so I'm sure you'll love it once you've ridden it a bit..
    2014 Seven Ti geared bike (in the womb!)
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork

LA CHÈVRE
    It's pretty much known that I think 26ers are still superior as far as mountain bikes go... But, it might also be in part because of the type of trails I ride. Where I ride, it's rocky rooty and usualy very twisty, lots of tight turns, short steep climbs immediatly followed by steep descents, constant changes of speed... Smaller, lighter, stiffer 26" wheels accelerate faster out of the many tight corners in the stop and go pace and they make for a quicker steering. Plus I prefer the overall lighter weight of the bike.

29ers, I think, excel on trails that don't have as much variations of speed and direction. They might also work better for 6'+ folks, taller rider, taller frame, longer crankarms, why not bigger wheels? I find 29ers look very dorky under smaller riders plus if you are not tall but have long feet, you may get annoying toe-front wheel rubbing in tight, slow corners...

I guess both sized wheeled bikes have pros and cons, it's more a matter of picking the right tool for the right job, for the right area and the right riding style. That said, if I was given a 2011 Flash 29 with the XX group, I don't think I'd get rid of it...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher
    I went with the 29er, because a lot of people said to go 29er if I was going to a hardtail...

Is this the dumbest thing you've ever heard of?...What will I like?...What will I dislike?
    You already ordered it? Why would you make a thread asking us about the bike after you ordered it? Anyway, I'm sure you'll love the bike. I ride in the same conditions Dan was describing. I would want a 26" Flash/Scott 899 or Scapel. I think those are the top RACE bikes for 2011.

Rider of Bikes
    Actually you'll be very happy with it. I rode a demo flash carbon 29er a few weeks ago and it was very fast and nimble. It rallys corners very well and tracks back and forth like you won' t believe. My current bike is a Trance X0. The only thing the trance can do is take big drops. Since riding the 29er i'm totally shocked at the difference it makes. have fun with your awesome new bike, I want one!

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm with Dan, if you want a race bikie for really technical trails and you're less than 6' get a 26" bike. For everything/one else, bet you'll be very happy with the Flash 29'er Carbon. The Lefty fork/Flash frame feel like they were absolutely meant for the big wheels.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    split the two main components of the discussion. is a 29er right for you and is the flash the best thing since sliced bread?

1. 29er hardtails are awsome and i will never go back to 26er wheels. i am just over 6' and for the trails i ride, it rocks. since you have ordered one, you'll figure out whether it works for you or not. dont expect miracles... its still a hardtail and needs to be ridden like one.

2. the flash is the best thing since sliced bread.

mtbr member
    I'll chime in on this discussion I went from a 26" 08' scalpel team edition to a flash 29er 1 with SRAM XX and have never looked back. don't believe the naysayers the 29er is fast and whippy as you want it with a light weight wheelset stans ztr race or stans ztr crest it accelerates with the best of em’ with the new 2x10 gearing even with my anemic climbing skills I can count on one hand how many hike a bikes I had to do in six days and 170 miles in Durango and it was more lack of climbing technical skills than legs and lungs. I’ll not go as far and say that I’ve drank the 29er kool-aid however I don’t ever see myself owning a 26” bike again all the past negatives you would hear about 29ers is exactly that a thing of the past. Right now I’m saving my pennies for the scalpel 29er when ever that’s coming out. If you haven’t ordered your 2011 flash yet you better pull the trigger fast I ordered mine last September and got the 1st one in Texas in the middle of January of this year.

hermosa creek right past the first bridge crossing

lime creek trail "china wall"

phils world in cortez

post ride after riding from silverton to lime creek trail to purgatory to hermosa creek trail to durango 62 miles (hermosa was sloppy in sections) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/44719666

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    That looks like a great ride! Next time I'm in Colorado I may have to drive down and do one similar. That profile looks sick when you put it in play mode.

mtbr member
    what tires did you run Hal?

Older & Slower
    1. Yes, I already ordered it...that might be the "stupid" part.

2. I'm 6'0" tall.

3. My riding is basic westcoast XC singletrack...most of it fairly flat...I will take it to Laguna Seca (Sea Otter Classic...central coast), Santa Cruz, and Auburn (both Norcal).

4. How will the Lefty hold up? I've heard "great" or "horrible"

mtbr member
    I think you're going to love the bike and you're getting stressed about nothing.

LA CHÈVRE
    From what you're telling us, I would say the bike is a good choice. The Lefty is... let me put it this way, I can't ride anything else now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    what tires did you run Hal?
    i'm in texas and run basic XC "race" set ups nothing too technical in houston i ran my stans ztr crest wheels and the kenda karma 29x2.0 tires yeah i know kinda wimpy for colorado but i run what i brung.

bottom line is that folks used to ride hardtails with ridged forks and seven speeds on the same stuff that posers are riding six inch tail bikes down...yeah i'll admit a nice cushy bike would be nice but testing out your skills on a 80mm travel hardtail gets the juices flowing.

it seems that the 29er revolution has taken over the XC race bunch in two years anyone still riding a 26" bike will be a retrogrouch.

mtbr member
    I'm still riding a steel fully rigid bike with v-brakes and bar ends. My next bike will be a 26". I'm Retro Man!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    I'm still riding a steel fully rigid bike with v-brakes and bar ends. My next bike will be a 26". I'm Retro Man!
    I have and ride a full rigid 29er with canti brakes... Oh wait, it's a cyclocross bike.

mtbr member
    Me too!

High Alpine Adventure
    Comon folks... Nobody told him they break?

Flash 29 Carbon looses battle with 24 Hour Race

I agree there's a tool for every trail and 29ers are fun once you get used to them. I have switched my race bikes over, but I'm not a top notch racer so that isn't saying much.

For the type of riding Hal does I ride my SWorks Enduro... 26" wheels spin a little easier climbing, but the real treat is 6" of travel dropping off the skree fields on 12,000' peaks....

Poser? Uhmmmm... had to get my ass up there!!!
    Last edited by DaGoat; 08-25-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

LA CHÈVRE
    Every bike can be broken...

High Alpine Adventure
    Some more often than others....
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Here I’ll clarify since I bruised some egos with the “poser” comment.

Ride what makes YOU happy and forget about what others think.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Some more often than others....

Do you mean to imply that Flash's are more fragile than other lightweight carbon bikes, because one thread on the internet don't make it so.

And who wants to ride unbreakable bikes anyway? You ever see the Swiss Army bike? Pretty unbreakable but I think they weighed about 45 lbs.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    Do you mean to imply that Flash's are more fragile than other lightweight carbon bikes...
    Not necessarily, I think the whole "Light Weight Carbon 29er Hard Tail" fad, revolution or what ever you want to call it is a rush by some companies to jump on a bandwagon. I mean how many of these things have been released over the last 2 years?

Seems 29ers, in and of themselves, were considered a fad and then when the companies noted there was a "devoted following" that was growing, they all jumped in. First it was Ti 29ers, but even they weighed 2-3 lbs more than a similar 26er design. So why not carbon! The thing is, when you're trying to make a frame close to 2lbs out of Carbon it gets tricky.

So I'm just saying some companies rush into a market without putting a lot of Pro-Engineer time into their designs. It is really as simple as wall thicknesses and transitions subjected to various stress factors.

From there you can determine who has the resources and has put in the time.

And I won't even get into FS 29ers and things like the "Niner" rear triangle fiasco. Just pay close attention to the design details of a 29er Scalpel.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Older & Slower
    Thanks for the feedback.

I realize that I might be taking a "risk" by...
    1. buying a 29er.
    2. buying carbon.
    3. buying a Lefty.

I feel that...
    1. my trails are appropriate for a carbon HT ("flowy XC" & "non-technical climbs").
    2. I want to go as fast as possible (I realize a MTB will not match my road bike, but I want a MTB that most resembles that).
    3. it's time to try a carbon MTB and a Lefty (might be a gamble that comes back to bite me).
    4. my local shop is a solid Cannondale dealer & the Cannondale rep is first rate (I love my 2010 Cannondale Six Carbon 5 road bike).

Based on that, any additional feedback will be much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast