mtbkr
    May 2007

prophets limits?

how extreme can prophet go? im new and proud owner of c'dale prophet 4 07'.
    mx version is considered to be a freeride allmountain bike. same frame. so...

rock shox tora 318 u coil in front is stiff enough for jumps.
    but im not that convinced wit pearl 2.1....

experiences?
    i thought big air means a hard fart

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The prophet is a pretty stout bike, i have been dirt jumping it off about 5 ft lips and it preforms great and i also beat it up pretty good with 6 or 7 ft drops (i have a 2005 prophet mx2 with a pearl 3.1 and a pike 406)

mtbkr
    May 2007
    7 ft drops ...
    evil...
    i kno pike is way better but tora will hold 2. i just need to properly adjust my pearl 2.1. cant get its rebound and pressure right. i heard sumwhere ppl can adjust their pressure accordingly to their weight (pearl 2.1), im 176 lbs (80kgs).
    and biker on the forum told me theres no such thing, that i just need to find setup by riding and changin it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, the frame can sure take some abuse, a alot in fact. i think one has to do something really really over the top to brake the frame when it has components design for it on it. the fork prob can too, though it's no fox36 or 66 fork. i would just go at it though and if it's gets ruined, hey, an upgrade. i guess it all depends on what type of rider you are. me, as a stash ho needs to have the best. if you're not that particular about your gear it would prod do a really nice job for some time. hehe. and for a replacement shock, if you're not going lefty (which is expensive cause you also need a new front wheel) i would prob go for a van36 or a marzocchi 55 when those things come around later this year, or maybe get a bargain on a higher end marzocchi all mountain fork. keep in mind that i'm no big fan of the pike, though i've never tried it or seen it live come to think of it. it prob has something to do with cannondale spec'ing pikes instead of the leftys that i prefer.

you could prob find a suggested setting range for the rear shock, but ultimately it's always a bit of experimentation that's required to fine tune em to your likings. i'm not familiar with that shock, so can't help you there. just remember to change it in small increments and maybe one factor by factor if it has several, so you know and feel what the different settings do. for me, i set up the sag pretty plush and try getting it feel fast and efficient. tried a rp3 on my prophet, but didn't like it too much, though it might've improved if i had run it with a little less sag. now i'm waiting for my new mantou evolver isx6, so i'm spec'ing it a little bit more for all mountain/freeride kinda riding style. the evolver weighs twice as much as the rp3 or 3 way swinger (that's on it now - great shock, get one from santa cruz for 99 dollars[mine came stock], it's really worth it and works great with the frame i think - way better than the non custom tuned rp3- though getting this years 3 way swinger with spv adjustability rp3 style is prob even better if more expensive), but i think in the end it's gonna be worth it.

Like catnip for people
    I don't think you could go as extreme on a standard prophet frame as you would on a MX... You reckon?

The frames are different by the way... Not by much, but still...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    as far as i know the difference is only the rear of the mx and 4x having the thru 12 axle. don't think that necessairly is such a huge deal, though i guess time will tell as i have the standard prophet and my brother has the 4x (mx-version) and both will be set up with pretty similar set ups in terms of components.

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by klinkekule
    as far as i know the difference is only the rear of the mx and 4x having the thru 12 axle. don't think that necessairly is such a huge deal, though i guess time will tell as i have the standard prophet and my brother has the 4x (mx-version) and both will be set up with pretty similar set ups in terms of components.
    That and the headtube/downtube gusset.

Is the rear swingarm strengthened by having the 12 thru axle?

Going harder, I imagine would put more stress on the swingarm... Possibly the headtube?

But yeah, overall it's not much of a difference is it... They are still basically the same frame, plus or minus a few additions... (Stronger wheels being one of them)

Time will tell, as you said!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah, was just about to add the gusset as i've just learned of it. the thru12 supposedly makes the rear stiffer. larger diameter prob equals larger rear hub which prob equals less movement from side to side, so over all stiffer and prob a bit tougher, but also tougher on the frame i would think. usually used in dh bikes etc so that's what i'm thinking.

mtbkr
    May 2007
    i finally did sum serious downhill with it. tora hold up, pearl 2.1 wit 108 psi did great 2. in a few long jumps in big speeds i felt it can do more. so im more than pleased with it so far. i cant imagine then what can then perp and judge do...

now i must clean it

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    nice to hear you liked the prophet and that the components are working out for you. it's a splendid bike. hehe.

mtbkr
    May 2007
    it is , i hope i wont brake it

mtbkr
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by klinkekule
    nice to hear you liked the prophet and that the components are working out for you. it's a splendid bike. hehe.
    (i wrote back to u how it was on the mountain)

THELAND photographer

one with a lefty ?

06 prophet...tons of upgrades but with a Lefty? any thoughts

im headed to Snowshoe later this month and really REALLY do not want to rent a bike mainly because i have put about a grand into the bike this year alone....The Lefty is super stiff/strong but im a bit timid about what ill be able to ride at a resort aside from the XC trails.... any thoughts?

~j

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Lefty will be ok for slopestyle and easier lines, maybe also a few jumps. The travel is a bit short, and I couldn't get rebound fast enough so it was more or less compressed all the time when going at a speed. Also, bring your tools for a bearing reset after each day!

The rear frame will handle a lot more speed and abuse, and overall geometry (FR) is good when it is not to steep.

I went to Hafjell last summer, and got my arms pumped a lot!

Have a nice trip!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have ridden my prophet 4x at whistler many times on both the lefty and a Z1. I basically ride all of the same stuff as I do on my big bike, just a little slower thru the chunder and a go a little smaller on the machine built trails.

I find it actually helps my riding, because I focus on being smooth and picking the right line. As a side note, the first time I ever did the Clown Shoes drop (12' +/-) was on my Prophet, although I do not recommend it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daktari
    The Lefty will be ok for slopestyle and easier lines, maybe also a few jumps. The travel is a bit short, and I couldn't get rebound fast enough so it was more or less compressed all the time when going at a speed. Also, bring your tools for a bearing reset after each day!

That sounds like something was wrong with your lefty and, at a minimum, someone put too viscous of an oil in. I've bombed down rock gardens and been to Plattekill with my lefty. I never found that the rebound was too slow. I have it set almost in the middle and it's perfect adn ti never packs down. In fact if I use the lowest rebound setting the front end starts pogoing all over the place.

I'm pretty rough on my lefty and I always seem to pick the worst lines and hit washouts and rocks and bid roots all the time. I've had to reset my bearings twice in the last 6 months.