shut up and RIDE!

Prophet - XC or FR?

I ride an 2007 Prophet 3, and for the most part the trails here in eastern North Carolina are pretty much flat, so I ride a lot of single track. So far I've only ridden my Prophet in XC, but was curious what advantages or disadvantages there would be if I put the rear suspension in FR mode.

I do like to Freeride to some degree (basic=beginner at that).

Thanks...
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had mine in FR mode for some rides. I makes the downhill control better, but you can have issues climbing steeper stuff because the front end wants to pop up.

I also had clearance issues. It lowers the BB and inch or so. There were times I bashed my pedal on a rock. This not normally a big deal, but a couple of times it kicked my back wheel out enough to go off the side of the trail.

My thought it is just try it for 5-10 rides see if you like it better.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I spend most of time in the FR position, changing to XC longer rides and the odd marathon race.
    I don't tend to find many problems climbing in the FR position but maybe Scottish hills are not as steep as American ones?

mtbr member
    It's pretty simple; XC is more for climbing and FR is more for DH. Give it a try and see how you dig it. I always have mine in FR since I mainly do FR/DH. It is tough though to go up steeps with this angle which is why I push up them.

mtbr member
    i prefer the feel of mine in fr mode so i leave it there all the time. feels alot more stable on the downhills and through fast singletrack sections.

El Pollo Diablo
    I keep mine in FR mode all the time...
    for the first few rides, the low BB was a huuuuuuge pain in the ass, but after you get used to it, you start seeing less pedal strikes, and more importantly, being less shocked when they happen more often than with many other frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I tried the FR setting for a few weeks but went back to XC. The FR was definitely less "twitchy" but the climbing seemed a little harder. I ended up going back to the XC position. The lower BB in FR reminded me of the Rush. Give it a try.