Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Prophet X vs Prophet 1 - Help me...

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  lagostavoadora 
#1 ·
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me choose one...

First I live in Madeira Island - Portugal. I make quite a lot of "levada" and mountain rides but I like the normal roads too, and they have a lot of climbing... I use an old GT avalanche - frame from 1998. So, I decided to buy a new bike but here on the island you don't have so many bike shops and you can't try many models.

The guy in the shop show me this new Cannondale Prophet X and Prophet 1 catalog and sound very entusiastic about them. But I'm still a bit confused because I have never seen any cannondale here in the island. It's allways different when you see the real thing vs the photo in the catalog...

I've read many reviews about Cannondale Prophet Bycicles and probably I will buy one. The first one in the island (hehehe). The problem is that I can't choose between the Prophet X and the Prophet 1. Can anyone help me choose?

Best regards to everyone,

:thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
first of all, delete the two other posts. EDIT: three other posts.

second, which is right for you depends on your riding. the average trail rider would prob have enough travel with the 140mm up front of the prophet 1. some riders though, like me, really like the extra travel and extra height provided by a fox 36 fork up front. other than just the fork the rear shock is also a lot different with the dhx as the big hit alternative and the rp23 with more of the efficient xc ride. both will handle all kinds of riding superbly, but the rp23 is a bit more easily tuneable with the different propedal settings (blue lever and knob) for on the go fine tuning. i would in any rate have swapped the shock to a manitou evolver isx6 (similar to the dhx), but nevermind what i would've done ;) hehe

other than that the only main differences are the x's ability to mount a iscg chain device directly on the frame and the 1's lighter set of wheels, though perhaps not as bombproof as the x's.

to sum it up, if your main concern will be bombing downhill i would go for the x, if it's more xc style all mountain riding go for the one. or better yet, get the x and swap the fork for a fox 36 talas rc2 and you can have the best of both worlds ;) though you have to custom paint the fork to have it white like the float. and yes, the x looks a lot better in my opinion, though i haven't seen any of these in person.

disclaimer: i have no idea what these bikes cost, but i have a prophet 1000 with specs better than the either of em and my brother have a 4x with similar specs, so i kinda know what i'm talking about.

also, if you can wait a bit, keep in mind that cannondale is releasing two new models come march; a 130mm frame and a 160mm frame (replacing the prophets 140mm frame). don't get me wrong, the prophet is a great bike, but perhaps an even better deal can be had on the prophets then, or you could at least use it as a bargaining tool now.

moral of the post: find out what type of riding you will do, xc all mountain or rough all mountain (to freeridish all mountain) then the answer should be apparent. if not, go for the one that looks the best ;) hehe (as they really are quite similar - i'm guessing the x is a tad bit more expensive than the 1 though)

#3 ·
I wish I could DELETE the 3 other posts! My browser made me do the mistake... I can't find the DELETE button anywhere!

The cost of the bikes are:

The Prophet X is about 2.999,00 Euros and the Prophet 1 is 2.499,00 Euros (500 Euros less) .
:thumbsup:

#4 ·
crap, now i feel really stupid here. made a post so i could delete it, but something seems to have changed because i couldn't figure out how to do it (and i've done it before..). anyway.

3grand eh? hm, that's not too bad i think. do you know how much this years prophet mx1 costs(07)? i would've gone for the x, but then again that's the type of riding i do. i'm also quite light so the float should fit me, though i would've prefered a talas. i also think it looks way sharper. you could always find out how much the mx1 cost this year (07) and if this is cheaper go for it as it really should be quite a bit cheaper.

#5 ·
Some data about X and 1

I've been making some investigation about some the gear of the X and 1:

X - FOX 36 Float RC2 Air 160 - most of the reviews say "bad", weight - 2,2 Kg
1 - FOX 32 FLOAT RL 140 - the majority say "very good", weight 1,7 Kg

X - FOX DHX 5.0 Air - Almost 75% say "bad", weight 450 gr
1 - FOX Float RP23 Air - 80% say "positive" and "good", weight 213 gr

X - Mavic EN321, 32h, (enduro) - weight 570 gr (each) - bombproof!!!
1 - Mavic XM317 Disc, 32h - weight 445 gr (each)

So only in these 3 things the difference in weight is abou 492 gr. So I think you are right in your first post. The Prophet 1 is for xc ride.

And the X looks better than 1...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.