mtbr member

Prophet won't fit. What to do?

I recently bought a 2006 prophet 6 medium. After about 30 miles of trail riding I am convinced this bike doesn't fit me well. I am around 6'1''. My xc bike is a large and fits me great but the salesmen(who I used to trust). Ensured me that this was a good fit and most people ride a smaller full suspension bike than hardtail. Anyways I'm wondering if anyone knows what is the deal with the factory frame exchange. What would I be paying to get a large frame for my medium. Would it be better to buy another bike and ebay this one?

mtbr member
    Did you play with the other elements such as seat post height, bar height, etc.? At 6'1" though I'd recommend a large; I'm 5'10" and a medium is perfect.

mtbr member
    Yeah seat post height is ok. I set it so that when my heel is on the pedal my leg is fully extended. It is shorter than the minimum insertion length so I am ok. It just feeles like the seat is way too high now. Its difficult to get behind the saddle now on descents. Would 2 inch riser bars be a good investment?

Do you think I should just sell it and buy a new one?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    Yeah seat post height is ok. I set it so that when my heel is on the pedal my leg is fully extended. It is shorter than the minimum insertion length so I am ok. It just feeles like the seat is way too high now. Its difficult to get behind the saddle now on descents. Would 2 inch riser bars be a good investment?

Do you think I should just sell it and buy a new one?
    If you sell it, you won't get a Lefty........08 dont have them
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I don't have the lefty as is so I'll be fine without it. The plan was to ride this one for 2 years and if I liked it, get a top of the line prophet with the lefty. Didn't work out considering this one didn't fit me and the lefty is gone!

mtbr member
    Riser bars would help slightly; but it sounds like you still may not be happy.

Have you tried both XC & FR settings?

6'1" height really merits a large in my opinion.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    5-9, medium here. Though I feel like I could fit a large if it had a straight post and short stem...Never tried it though
    CDT

mtbr member
    I am afraid that I agree I need a large. Is there anyway I can take it to a different bike shop and expect to get a good "trade-in" value for it? I'd ebay it considering its in great shape but I have no idea how I'd ship a bike.

Ridin' dirty!
    I'm 6.1' and have a medium. I had a Large before and the increased bb height on a a fullsuspension bike made my crotch clearance go out the window. Riding a L was okay (with a 80mm long and 15degree riser stem) but getting on and off the bike especially on the trail was a b!tch.

On my M I have a medium riser bar now with a 120mm long and 5 degree stem and I'm happy.

Try to get a setback seatpost and a longer stem. If you get a flat bar as well you'll have a more stretched out racing like seating position which will help a lot as well.
    I bet that if you test ride a Large at a parking lot or something you'll be more comfortable, but once you take it to the trails and have a steep climb it's a total different story.

I think a Medium frame is more agile and lighter too

It all depends on your riding style and is personal preference. After all, you want to be comfortable on your bike and if it doesn't feel right after you made all adjustments and changes you could, well you might move on to a different size frame then.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Thats exactly the information I was hoping to hear. To be honest when the seat is in the correct position the pedal stroke feels good. Something about it all just doesn't feel right. I think I will try a longer stem first.

What will the setback seat post accomplish? I'm not being negative I'm just wondering what the purpose of it is.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Take it to the owner and explain the story. It only has 30 miles on it after all and the salesman is to blame for getting the wrong size.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sounds like you should have bought a large. I'm just under 6 foot and ride a Lrg in both a Rush and Scalpel

siv
    mtbr member
    Im 6" 1' with long arms and ride a large. I maybe should have bought a XL. The guy at your LBS sucks for recommending a medium. The setback seatpost and longer stem will increase your cockpit but I dont think enough for a medium frame. The Titec bent seatpost is more extreme a setback than the Thomson, cheaper too, Check ebay. If your gonna spend money on a new bar go Titec riser, 2.25", cheapish at around 30-40 bucks. If its mint sell it on ebay and buy a large or XL, plenty on ebay.

mad aussie
    There just is no substitute for a bike that fits. At your height I think you should be on a large. I picked up a medium Scalpel frame and have never been 100% happy with the fit despite some adjustments which is why I am selling it to go with a small.
    I would suggest trying to sell it on ebay, for shipping go down to the bike shop and pick up a box and make sure you wrap all the frame tubes in cardboard and put caps on the wheel axles. Alternatively most shops should charge you a small amount to get the bike ready for shipping.
    Another alternative would be to go back to the shop where you bought the bike and see if they would let you do a trade in exchange on a large frame at their cost. That would be a less expensive way to get the right sized frame and given they didnt size you right I think they should work with you.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam and I had a M, it was much to short for me, and I even tried a longer stem and all that. Now I ride an XL and I like it ALOT more. With the M then I kept flipping it over backwards on even the smallest climbs and I don't have any complaints about the XL, except for my stock and goodrigde cables for my Juicy Carbons are to short, because its such a long bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I would first try to deal with the shop. If you sell on Ebay you're going to take a big loss. Didn't the bike feel small when you test rode it? One thing I learned a long time ago is to just go with the fit that feels right to you , don't listen to somebody tell you how it should feel etc. People have different preferences, I prefer to be stretched out a bit, while others might not.

Ridin' dirty!
    Thats exactly the information I was hoping to hear. To be honest when the seat is in the correct position the pedal stroke feels good. Something about it all just doesn't feel right. I think I will try a longer stem first.

What will the setback seat post accomplish? I'm not being negative I'm just wondering what the purpose of it is.
    If you're used to a more stretched out riding position, a riser bar WON'T HELP. If your pedal stroke feels alright I'd recommend a longer stem and a flat bar. A setback seatpost will help you to have your body weight shifted more towards the back. I mentioned this because you said you can't get your butt behind the seat on descents. A setback seatpost will help solve that problem.
    If you get a riser bar climbing will be harder since more of your weight will be distributed to the rear or you might sit to upright. That's why I said get a longer stem and a FLAT bar.
    Check out the pic of my bike with the long seatpost...my buddies always crack jokes about it but it fits like a glove..

After all it is all personal preference and your bike shop should've taken care of all this in the first place and have you try different size frames with different types of set-up and not just say: "Uh...get a medium."!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Im 5' 11" and ride a large. Its just right for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I really don't know what to do. I mean the seat height is okay now. But something just does not feel right to me. The guy at the LBS is usually very knowledgeable and metioned that the smaller frame would be more maneuverable and that kind of thing. I was interested in a more expensive model (prophet 4) but they only had it in a large and he didn't think it would be a wise choice. So he might be incompetent but certainly not greedy!!

Now that the riding seasons is winding down I want to figure out what I need to do to be ready for next year. whether that be selling the bike and getting/building a new one or just buying new parts for this one to make it fit better. I've heard good things about speedgoat cycles and they are about 30 minutes away from me know. I am half tempted to see if they can get the bike to fit me. I'm just worried they won't be honest considering they don't sell cannondale.

Ridin' dirty!
    I really don't know what to do. I mean the seat height is okay now. But something just does not feel right to me. The guy at the LBS is usually very knowledgeable and metioned that the smaller frame would be more maneuverable and that kind of thing. I was interested in a more expensive model (prophet 4) but they only had it in a large and he didn't think it would be a wise choice. So he might be incompetent but certainly not greedy!!

Now that the riding seasons is winding down I want to figure out what I need to do to be ready for next year. whether that be selling the bike and getting/building a new one or just buying new parts for this one to make it fit better. I've heard good things about speedgoat cycles and they are about 30 minutes away from me know. I am half tempted to see if they can get the bike to fit me. I'm just worried they won't be honest considering they don't sell cannondale.

If it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right, period.
    You have to go back to the shop.
    I bet they'll take it back if you say you're interested in getting another one especially since you only have a couple of miles on it so far.
    With me it was all the way around: Everybody suggested me to get a Large, even the cannondale rep at the testride booth.
    Now I have a M and I'm happy.