Thread: Prophet vs Rush

mtbr member

Prophet vs Rush

Hi, guys. I just recently started looking to replace my old dually. I really like the Prophet and Rush models. I know the Prophet has more travel, but how do they compare really in terms of ride quality and handling (I'm 200lbs and ride mostly XC, but I do enjoy an aerial opportunity when it presents itself)? And is the single-pivot design relatively maintenance-free? Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    I'll let others that know more about this than me answer you fully, but one thing to consider is the extra front suspension of a prophet does come at the price of NO lockout, I know they are getting better with bob elimination, but if you plan on locking out your front sus. for some fast sprints or maybe climbs (I actually like climbing in the saddle and find the suspension useful) then the rush is the go. Also Spring (Prophet) Vs Air (Rush). And onto the single pivot design, yes it's great, very trouble free.Sorry I can't be more helpful! Maybe if you have more specific questions I can answer them! Good luck both are great bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I recently bought a Rush and couldn't be more happy with it than I am. Longer top tube gives you more aggresive position which (at least for me) feels perfect for XC riding and climbs. I've also tested a Prophet and felt the bike was too short for me.

Rush rides great, very smooth ride .

mtbr member
    I can't comment on the rush, but I have to say that the lefty max fork on the prophet is the by far the best fork I've ridden on. It's very plush and, in my opinion, easy to maintain by myself. I also feel like the prophet can handle a bit rougher terrain than the rush from what people have said in this forum. I've never felt like the suspension bob ever slower me down on the trail or up a hill. I try to ascend on the saddle whenever possible and I think the suspension actually helps me gain traction on the tricky stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I rode a prophet for 18 months with the SPV Lefty Max. I ride mostly XC and I felt that I wasn't riding the bike to its full potential. I rarely found jumps or drops that took advantage of all 140mm. But it was a great bike, never any issues.

That being said, I've now been riding a rush carbon with the DLR2 for about 100 miles and it is much better suited for my riding style. I feel just as comfortable on descents, but much better climbing - thanks to the lockout. And the riding position just feels faster when blazing through singletrack.

I am only 155 lbs, tho. I know that 200lb + riders sometimes experience a little flex with the DLR2 AND carbon SL. The manual for these forks does have suggested air pressure for up to 220 lb riders and I know they can handle heavy riders.

BTW I raced with a 240 lb rider on an aluminum Rush w/ lefty last weekend. He didn't seem to have any issues with being too heavy for the bike.

I wouldn't worry too much about the decision, both bikes are great and you'll probably adapt your riding style to either one.

mtbr member
    Having a rush myself, I ride XC but will take the insane lines with various drops and jumps. I hardly feel the suspension bobing at all... Must be a great design and shock. The Rush is really really fast... You will accelerate faster then you ever thought you could go, thats how I felt. 140mm of travel is over kill unless you are doing some DH riding and light freeride. If you ride mostly XC, the rush is better
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I had to make this same decision myself a while back. In the end it comes down to your riding preferences. I liked the fact that the Rush was more of a light xc race bike and that would help on climbs. The Rush also accelerates faster. This isn't to say the Prophet is a bad climber or sluggish bike though. If you feel that the extra 30mm of suspension travel the Prophet has will let you ride rougher terrain and take a few more drops here and there then this might be the way to go. If 110mm will be enough I'd ride the Rush and save some weight. The LBS told me that the Rush wasn't really meant to leave the ground but I could still see it taking some air here and there. I even asked the sales person their opinion on the two bikes and they told me I had to choose for myself. Maybe their supposed to say that so they don't force a bike on you but I think it's good advice.

I ended up getting the Prophet 400 which I've upgraded with a Fox Talas. I still kind of regret not spending the extra money for a lefty but I got a discount on the 06 model and didn't want to pay for a new 07 Prophet 5. The LBS didn't have anymore Prophet 600s. I don't think that lockout would be a good reason to get the Rush over the Prophet either. I might be bias because I never use it and run my shocks on the firmer side so I can take bigger drops; one reason I picked the Prophet. But you could always put a standard shock on the Prophet with lockout but then I wouldn't be a lefty... Well either way the Rush and Prophet are both great bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ride a Rush and love how it handles and the speed that it provides. The Rush is in its element on rolling singletrack, switchbacks, and smoother climbs. I don't hesitate to do a bit of hucking or 3 foot dropoffs either. I come in at about 170-175 lbs fully geared up.

There are shortcomings with the Rush you should be aware of though. When it comes to rocky, tech climbs, the low BB WILL cause you problems. You have to constantly worry about where your pedals are, especially if you need to get over a step or waterbar. I have lost one set of pedals by clipping a rock. I also find the travel to be a little short when the downhills get rough.

I haven't ridden a prophet, but it is a very similar design (geometry and suspension-wise). You will get an extra 30mm travel, 1" higher BB, and you can change the geometry with the 2 different holes in the swingarm (the FR position drops the BB though). The prophet will be more comfortable at the cost of a bit of speed and handling. Make your decision based on your style of riding and, of course, test rides on both.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I had both a Rush and Prophet. I ended up selling the Rush and keeping the Prophet because of the higher BB and beefier frame. The Rush definitely felt a little faster but I prefer the sturdier Prophet feel. They both are great bikes.

mtbr member
    I've been thoroughly enjoying my Prophet for over two years now. It is the perfect bike for my riding style. I just bought a '07 Rush 5 for my wife. Fortunately we are the same size so her bike is a medium like mine. I haven't taken it out on a real ride yet (I can't get her Shimano pedals off. I've bent my wrenches trying. I'm going to have the shop do it.) but when I do I will give a full comparison. From my brief stints on it, it feels faster but that may have more to do with the 2.1 tires vs my 2.35s.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. I test rode both a Rush and a Prophet (in that order) today. Both felt solid and smooth, and I'd be happy to own either one. But I've been on a short-travel dually for a few years now, and I think the Rush would be a better choice for me. The extra travel of the Prophet felt awesome, but it's probably overkill for my style /needs. I appreciate the replies

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am also trying to decide which bike to get 2006 Prophet 800 or the 2007 Rush 5, I am a beginner MTN biker and don't race, just ride single tracks in my town. I think the decision will have to come down to price 1500 (prophet) vs 1300 (Rush)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavsfan
    I am also trying to decide which bike to get 2006 Prophet 800 or the 2007 Rush 5, I am a beginner MTN biker and don't race, just ride single tracks in my town. I think the decision will have to come down to price 1500 (prophet) vs 1300 (Rush)
    As a beginner I would recommend the Rush. It is faster, lighter, and climbs better. The Prophet really shines when you are bombing down really technical trails and your skill level probably isn't there yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavsfan

One huge factor, in my opinion, is the difference in fork: Lefty DLR2 vs. Lefty Max. The lefty max is more reliable and easier to work on. I can do almost all maintenance items myself. I have no experience with the dlr2, but I see some of the posts on this forum and it makes me a bit wary.

As far as lightness is concerned, The 2007 Rush 5 is only going to be about a pound and a half lighter than the 2006 Prophet 800 (which I own). The rush might pedal better because of lockout and less travel, but the geometry is going to be very similar to the prophet in xc mode.

Just my 1.5 cents

mtbr member
    I am in the unique position that I own a '05 Prophet 1000 and my wife owns a '07 Rush 5. She is my height so both bikes are medium. I recently took her Rush out on one of my favorite trails which is pretty fast with some short steep climbs and moderate technical sections. I immediately noticed that her Rush felt as fast and nimble as a ht. It was much faster than my Prophet getting up all the steep climbs with ease and leaving me feeling strong the whole time. I also noticed that it didn't do as well when I flew over the rocky sections. It made it but required more corrections where my Prophet goes easily where ever I point it.

Dispite the fact that they look similar they ride totally different. Likely the result of the Rush's steeper head angle and less progressive suspension. If I were doing a 24hr race or were riding non technical single track with alot of climbing and riders who were faster than me I would take the Rush. If I were going on a ride which included fast, rocky downhills, drops and jumps, I would take the Prophet. A beginner probably won't notice the advantages of the Prophet but most certainly notice the speed, quick handling, and climbing ability of the Rush

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy
    I am in the unique position that I own a '05 Prophet 1000 and my wife owns a '07 Rush 5. She is my height so both bikes are medium. I recently took her Rush out on one of my favorite trails which is pretty fast with some short steep climbs and moderate technical sections. I immediately noticed that her Rush felt as fast and nimble as a ht. It was much faster than my Prophet getting up all the steep climbs with ease and leaving me feeling strong the whole time. I also noticed that it didn't do as well when I flew over the rocky sections. It made it but required more corrections where my Prophet goes easily where ever I point it.

Dispite the fact that they look similar they ride totally different. Likely the result of the Rush's steeper head angle and less progressive suspension. If I were doing a 24hr race or were riding non technical single track with alot of climbing and riders who were faster than me I would take the Rush. If I were going on a ride which included fast, rocky downhills, drops and jumps, I would take the Prophet. A beginner probably won't notice the advantages of the Prophet but most certainly notice the speed, quick handling, and climbing ability of the Rush
    I was taking an educated guess and hadn't had any ride time on the rush, thanks for the info and correction. I DO know that the head angles are the same when the prophet is in xc mode, 69deg.

BTW woodsguy, how is DLR2 as far as maintenance? My friend was seriously considering a caffeine F2, but he's not very good at keeping his equipment maintained.

mtbr member
    Duh, I knew they had the same head angle, I remember thinking that it should feel like my Prophet when I was shopping for it. I guess the different feel must all be in the shock tuning.

Maintenance? Sorry can't help you there. We just got her Rush in July so we haven't had to do any maintenance yet. Besides, I would have the shop do it anyway. I don't work on the shocks, bb, or hydrolic brakes.

BTW, my wife absolutely loves her Rush. I'd say she it made her about twice as fast and she has little trouble with the diamond trails in KT now. Since getting the bike I don't have to wait very long for her to catch up anymore and she doesn't complain about 20+mi rides.